PLJ's 'blown off' - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PLJ's 'blown off'

I guess we can all agree that "Blown Off," well, blows!
    "One should read the shole thread before responding." - vchimpanzee

"Friends don't let friends quote the last post of a message board thread." - Me

I fell for a phone scam like this once. Some guy was having an affair with his wife unbeknownst to the radio host. And they told him he won flowers to give to someone on Valentines day.. His wife was listening the whole time. He gave the name of another woman he wanted to send them to and the wife yelled at him and hung up. I think I heard this on Preston and Steve on WMMR. Later on I heard you tube clip of Opie and Anthony talking about these fake phone scams and that one was on there. I was surprised P And S ran a fake scam. I guess anyone can fall for it.

Quote Originally Posted by DToTheJ View Post
    I guess we can all agree that "Blown Off," well, blows!
    of that we can agree.... ;o)

Anyone that is fooled into thinking Todd's phone scams are real deserves to be deceived. Or any of these morning zoo hacks for that matter.

What does it say about the character of the radio host? When listeners hear this same phone scam on other stations they realize they were duped by a show they liked. It's dishonest and I believe listeners deserve honesty. I was never involved with phone scams on radio. I don't understand why hosts still want to lean on phone scams for entertainment as very few were ever funny.

Quote Originally Posted by TGunn View Post
    What does it say about the character of the radio host? When listeners hear this same phone scam on other stations they realize they were duped by a show they liked. It's dishonest and I believe listeners deserve honesty. I was never involved with phone scams on radio. I don't understand why hosts still want to lean on phone scams for entertainment as very few were ever funny.
    yep, I agree. my sister was listening to Z 100 once 8 years ago and one of their 'phone taps' came on. that was so un funny I can't beleive it even went on the air.

And hey, we are all young and gullable at one point in our lives. I grew up with Todd phone scams, so you have an inclination to trust the host and that they are real. I always figured that they got permission after the scam was done, as they claimed they had to call back the person that set the scammee up and bribe them with concert tickets or something.

oh well... maybe an insider will go on opie and jim and give us the scoop on how those things where really done. they had so many different people on those scams, they'd have to be expensive if they hired 300 different actors at a time to do them.

I know this thread is from two years old, I found it when searching on WPLG's Blown Off looking to see if there were any discussions about it. I did not expect to see the show disparaged and called fake by people that really have no idea whether it is or not, and was honestly rather surprised to see some people think it's all about actors and scripting.

I've been listening to the archived segments for about a month now, and all I can say is that "you can't make this stuff up" and people really ARE that clueless and stupid. Yes, when I listen to a segment that seems over the top I do briefly consider that a few may be staged and thrown in for good measure, but I generally feel that these are real people who are just so messed up they have no clue that their actions are seen in a negative way by others because they're so wrapped up in themselves they think their own little world is "normal" whereas many or most people will see it as very strange.

I encourage others who may come across this revived thread to join and post their comments about Blown Off, there doesn't seem to be anything else out there about it.

I will also add that I am soooo glad that I'm in a committed exclusive relationship, having dealt with the online dating scene for many years and finding myself in situations that were similar to many of the segments I've listened to. I'm happy to say that out of dozens of first dates there were only about 2 where the woman wasn't interested in a second date and I didn't care enough to call a radio show to find out why. If someone isn't interested, there's plenty more out there. Unless of course NOBODY is interested in which case you probably need some answers.

Well, that explains it: Trump is really a fake president and it's all just a Phil Hendrie bit! I feel much better now.

Quote Originally Posted by semoochie View Post
    Well, that explains it: Trump is really a fake president and it's all just a Phil Hendrie bit! I feel much better now.
    This thread harkens me back to Phil Henrie on KFI. The heartiest laughs I ever had listening to the radio were listening to Phil back then. When you knew the "guest" caller was actually Phil, and then an outraged listener called in, it was priceless. Great Talk Radio.

Old thread, but WTH... It's all theater. It's entertainment. You like it, you like it. You don't, press scan. Half the "content" (as it's called these days) that goes down in the world of entertainment isn't real, but still, so many of us buy in. That's why it's called show business.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast