• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Bloodbath at KCTS

No reason to do local production if people aren't watching. Bad news for traditional TV production folks. Good news for digital media people.

Then that's a content creation and promotion problem, not whether it's "digital" or "traditional". If you produce interesting and compelling TV, it works on a digital platform too. What the CEO at KCTS is doing is a classic cost-cutting smokescreen. The problem I've seen is when stations make the bold and one could argue, tenuous move by shifting staff resources to "digital media", ultimately end up producing even less content, mainly because the Instagram-consuming digital staff they hire talk a good game, but have no clue how to produce anything, let alone something compelling.

I once volunteered at the phone bank for KCTS many moons ago, taking down names, addresses and credit card info. And I'll admit it was probably the nicest volunteer experience I ever had. We were catered by one of the most ridiculously expensive Asian restaurants in town, volunteering for an hour, then a food break (in which we all made complete pigs of ourselves - that dim sum was absolutely delicious) and mini-tour of the station while another group of volunteers did the phones, then back to the phones while the other group had their food/station tour. Then, after scarfing down another plate of the catered food and shaking countless hands with nearly everybody, left.

But KCTS really got annoying to me when for many many years, EVERY fundraiser, they always ran "Roy Orbison: A Black & White Night". Yes, it's Roy Orbison, yes, it's classic performances. But c'mon! There are others.

I'm wondering if KCTS will ever understand my generation. It would have been nice to have seen a Metallica concert and George Ray offering the "Live S#!t: Binge & Purge" box set for a nice premium. But NOOO! It was ALWAYS Roy Orbison. TWICE every stinking year. They finally lost me as a subscriber.

Those things are VERY expensive to shoot, and that one in particular was a big deal. A lot of times, the more commercially known artists are looking for a big pay day for themselves, rather than doing a charity thing for PBS. If Metallica would offer to do one, I'm sure PBS would be interested.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom