• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Smash Hits

I wonder if a station like this would work in Philly. This one is KKLS Smash Hits http://www.kkls.net/. Their playlist is really good if you like 80s and early 90s music. Here is a sample of what they play...The Power-Snap, Nelson-Love and Affection, Matthew Wilder-Break My Stride, Teena Marie-Lovergirl, Slaugter-Fly to the Angels, Wilson Phillips-You're In Love, The Knack-My Sharona, Bobby Brown-Don't Be Cruel, Extreme-More Than Words, Oran "Juice" Jones-The Rain, Warrant-Cherry Pie. This is just a morsel of the kind of music they are playing. I think this would really work here. Any thoughts?

I think we've seen that basing a radio station simply on an iPod music list may get you ratings for a book or two, but then it becomes the same old thing.

There are several stations in Philly playing 80s-90s music (like BEN), just not necessarily those particular songs.

Do you think what they're doing in Sturgis SD will work in Philly? Maybe someone should hire John Tesh.

I think we've seen that basing a radio station simply on an iPod music list may get you ratings for a book or two, but then it becomes the same old thing.

There are several stations in Philly playing 80s-90s music (like BEN), just not necessarily those particular songs.

Do you think what they're doing in Sturgis SD will work in Philly? Maybe someone should hire John Tesh.

The station would differ from Ben-Fm, because it is supposed to be high energy with jingles. It kind of reminds of a Hybrid Hot Hits WCAU-FM and Eagle 106. This is supposed to a new national format. It started in Baltimore.

So what would it replace? That's the real question...who would blow up what they have for a syndicated format? It sounds like a version of Movin.'

So what would it replace? That's the real question...who would blow up what they have for a syndicated format? It sounds like a version of Movin.'

That is a good question. It would probably compete with WOGL and Ben-FM. I think its a newer version of classic hits. The music is from 1979-1993. They do not play any 60s music. It is somewhat similar as well to WRBQ in Tampa. Btw, the John Tesh comment was good lol.

Right now, Philly is a very tough competitive market for FM music stations. I'm sure IHeart would love to launch a country station to compete with XTU, but they don't want to blow anything up. That would be a higher priority than another classic station.

Nobody is going to do try to thread a needle between Ben and WOGL. Ben is an 80s-90s centric station, and all things considered, doing rather well for a decade-old variety hits station. Jingles, no jingles--it doesn't matter.

The station would differ from Ben-Fm, because it is supposed to be high energy with jingles. It kind of reminds of a Hybrid Hot Hits WCAU-FM and Eagle 106. This is supposed to a new national format. It started in Baltimore.

Which station in Baltimore? The only stuff out of Baltimore I listen to is O's and Ravens.

ixnay

Last edited:
Yeah Bob I have always been surprised at how well Ben has stuck in Philly. They actually have a really good playlist, and even throw in a good handful of 70's tunes!

Smash

Actually been listening to this lately. Definitely the next generation of Classic Hits. Not sure where it would fall in Philly right now.

Nobody is going to do try to thread a needle between Ben and WOGL. Ben is an 80s-90s centric station, and all things considered, doing rather well for a decade-old variety hits station. Jingles, no jingles--it doesn't matter.

How sad that it's come to this--the notion that imaging doesn't matter. I don't agree with that notion but I know a lot of folks do. If BEN-FM wasn't here yet and someone launched it tomorrow, meanwhile a competitor launched a competitive-signal station playing the same library but with good local jocks and old school CHR imaging, I truly believe the second station would have more listeners than BEN.

I was actually just thinking about this topic over the weekend. BEN is probably in a "it's not broke yet so why fix it?" situation but I do think they'd make some waves if they changed their name, adopted upbeat imaging, jocks who connect with the listeners, and re-focused their library on upbeat pop & rhythmic from about 1989 - 2005 (think of artists like the list below). Something like this has been attempted before but I don't think the target audience was at the right point yet. I really believe this would work now.

Ace of Base, Alicia Keys (early), Bel Biv DeVoe, Bobby Brown, Boyz II Men, Britney Spears, C+C Music Factory, Cher (from the Believe album), Christina Aguilera (early), Destiny's Child, En Vogue , Gwen Stefani, Janet Jackson, Jennifer Lopez (early), Mariah Carey, Mary J. Blige, Nelly (early), Paula Abdul, Pink (early), Real McCoy, Ricky Martin, Roxette, Spice Girls, Sugar Ray, SWV, Third Eye Blind, TLC, Toni Braxton, Vanessa Williams, Whitney Houston, Will Smith (Jiggy/MIB-era), and Wilson Phillips. I even think a currents-heavy station would do well if they focused on this time period for their Golds.

So.....if they became a totally different station?

Ben has doing what they do, and well enough to earn respect for lasting a decade. It's an alternative on a few fronts from what other stations are doing--most of which have some kind of air talent. This format doesn't necessarily need it all that much. If you can swing it, great, but would that really add enough to the bottom line to make it worth it? Not sold on that. (And I'm guessing neither is Greater Media.) Heck, they had jingles too at one time--and they're not around any longer. Probably a good reason.

(And Cher? The Spice Girls? Yikes.)

So.....if they became a totally different station?

Ben has doing what they do, and well enough to earn respect for lasting a decade. It's an alternative on a few fronts from what other stations are doing--most of which have some kind of air talent. This format doesn't necessarily need it all that much. If you can swing it, great, but would that really add enough to the bottom line to make it worth it? Not sold on that. (And I'm guessing neither is Greater Media.) Heck, they had jingles too at one time--and they're not around any longer. Probably a good reason.

(And Cher? The Spice Girls? Yikes.)

Chill out, man. I'm not arguing with you and I'm not saying that BEN *should* change. And yes, Cher's Believe-era stuff and Spice Girls. The station would clearly not be for a guy named Bob. Geez.

Interesting playlist. Might need be a little less scattered. I don't know if the same people who want to hear Guns N' Roses also want to hear The Power by Snap. Anyone in this discussion ever heard the actual broadcast signal? Quality-wise, the stream sounds terrible.

How sad that it's come to this--the notion that imaging doesn't matter. I don't agree with that notion but I know a lot of folks do. If BEN-FM wasn't here yet and someone launched it tomorrow, meanwhile a competitor launched a competitive-signal station playing the same library but with good local jocks and old school CHR imaging, I truly believe the second station would have more listeners than BEN.

I was actually just thinking about this topic over the weekend. BEN is probably in a "it's not broke yet so why fix it?" situation but I do think they'd make some waves if they changed their name, adopted upbeat imaging, jocks who connect with the listeners, and re-focused their library on upbeat pop & rhythmic from about 1989 - 2005 (think of artists like the list below). Something like this has been attempted before but I don't think the target audience was at the right point yet. I really believe this would work now.

Ace of Base, Alicia Keys (early), Bel Biv DeVoe, Bobby Brown, Boyz II Men, Britney Spears, C+C Music Factory, Cher (from the Believe album), Christina Aguilera (early), Destiny's Child, En Vogue , Gwen Stefani, Janet Jackson, Jennifer Lopez (early), Mariah Carey, Mary J. Blige, Nelly (early), Paula Abdul, Pink (early), Real McCoy, Ricky Martin, Roxette, Spice Girls, Sugar Ray, SWV, Third Eye Blind, TLC, Toni Braxton, Vanessa Williams, Whitney Houston, Will Smith (Jiggy/MIB-era), and Wilson Phillips. I even think a currents-heavy station would do well if they focused on this time period for their Golds.

I actually really enjoy Smash Hits playlist and their approach with DJ's. Yesterday they played Kiss-Forever from 1990 into Jermaine Stewart - We Don't Have to Take...I am hoping WOGL will eventually progress maybe not to as much to late 90s but would love to see a 1979-1992 format that is upbeat. I do like some of the above artists you mentioned.

For what it's worth, BEN-FM has now been around slightly longer (since early May 2005) than Y100 lasted (March 1995 to February 2005). And there's no apparent crisis at WBEN. That should put things in perspective. It's not my favorite station either, but I give them credit where it's due.

It has lasted much longer than 94.1 Free-FM, Sports Rock 93.3, Rumba 104.5, My 106.1, Eagle 106, Electric 106, Top FM 106, Z106, Sunny 104.5 version 2, 96.5 the Point, IQ 106.9, Solid Gold 102, Philly 107.9, Hot 107.9, and even Hot Hits WCAU-FM. Amazingly, Wired 96.5 lasted longer before its recent demise.

No love for Alice 104.5? �� Now 97.5? The second JJZ? Or Star 1.0, 2.0 or 3.0. Or Max, Jammin and Mix, and even the Gimp....er, Game. You could probably toss the all 70s incarnation of MGK in there, too.

Only if the Second Station gave away more money would it beat BEN. Here's a true example ....
A legendary AM TOP 40 station in the 70's with top personalities Local..gave away cash and prizes every ratings period. NUMBER ON IN MARKET ALWAYS. Here comes a High powered FM station with little or no giveaways..Top 40 around the year 1975 . AM station is number one in the market. FM goes with the Love Rock music service for 3 years. .. FM gets to number 3 in the market. AM station Still number one. FM Drops Love Rock..goes with own TOP 40 Automated programming and some Live assist. Ratings for FM still drop. AM station number one.

In 1980.. another FM in town changes from easy listening to TOP 40 with Live on air personalities.. Lots of cash and prize give aways.. More cash than TOP 40 legendary AM Station is giving away..
New FM Station beats AM Top 40 Station.. Other automated FM top 40 Still low in the ratings. ITS ALL ABOUT THE CASH PRIZES ... CASH = RATINGS.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom