• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Cablevision Launches ‘Cord-Cutter’ Packages

Yeah, but will those antennas really work?

Antenna performance depends upon location and topography as much as antenna design. Before buying any expensive antenna I would ask neighbors what they are using. I have had about the same performance from a $10 Target combo VHF-UHF rabbit ears as with a $100+ amplified flat panel.

I'm surprised you got anything at all with an amplified antenna given how close you are to the towers.

Yeah, you have to remember: antenna technology is antenna technology. The only difference here is that digital signals operate with lower power levels (thanks a lot for that, FCC). If those signals don't reach you, they don't reach you. No amount of amplification is going to help, nor will any "super-duper-extra-digital-HD antenna that we swear you need to drop half your life savings on!" Especially since digital signals are all or nothing. But generally speaking, unless you were on the fringe of an analog signal, you should be able to pick up the same stations' digital signal with the same type of antenna with which you were able to pick up the analog signal. For example, I live in the southernmost county of my market, more than 70 miles from the towers in most cases. The only channel I have a problem picking up with my apartment complex's rooftop antenna -- the same that was there in the analog days -- is my CBS affiliate, which was already weak pre-transition, and it's only during certain weather conditions that it fails to decode. I'd previously had trouble with my MyTV affiliate, as well, but they moved to a taller tower and upped their power a few years back. I can even pick up a few stations I wasn't able to receive before. So chances are good that, if you had decent analog reception with an antenna, your digital reception with that same type of antenna is going to be fairly comparable.

So chances are good that, if you had decent analog reception with an antenna, your digital reception with that same type of antenna is going to be fairly comparable.

There are some things that severely affect digital signals that don't seem to bother analog signals (even considering the power difference). One is a sun-filled background. I am close to the towers but right behind the towers. during this time of the year, is the setting sun every evening. And every evening at sunset, before the sun dips behind the mountain, most of my digital signals disappear or are broken up so badly that the program is unwatchable for 10 to 15 minutes.

Another is wind, ordinary wind. I thought first it was the wind and subsequent tree movement that was the problem until I moved the antenna out of the tree's shadow and the problem continued.

Living in the desert we don't have a major problem with rain but I have found almost the same signal destruction in heavy rain with lower frequency digital signals as with pizza pan digital signals.

I am using the identical outside antenna now as I had in the analog days. It sits pretty much in the same place on the roof. I originally used it at my previous house which was 30 miles north of the towers and it functioned perfectly set up in the attic. Now, merely 8 miles from the towers, although at a different compass setting, it receives most signals fine except in the cases mentioned above.

None of the above were problems for me during the analog TV days.

Last edited:
Interesting. I've never heard of the sun causing an issue like that.

Wind is one of the weather features I've noticed, and part of it can be the moving trees (the same thing caused reception issues for many pelple on UHF in the analog days, and most digital signals are on UHF frequencies nowadays), but I get the impression that it's also simply the antenna moving. The rooftop antenna on my apartment complex isn't particularly obstructed by trees in the direction of the market's towers, but it certainly moves with a nice gust. That can cause pronounced problems since the wind is usually coming from the west or east, and the antenna points north, so the more it shakes, the more off-axis it's moving, and data doesn't like being tossed around like that.

Rain is another weather feature that causes problems, especially with my aforementioned CBS affiliate. If we get a light rain or drizzle, there's no problem, but a constant downpour and that thing's just gone. Oddly, thunderstorms don't affect it as badly. It'll pixelate on occasion when lightning strikes, but I've been through some fairly rough thunderstorms where that's all it does. But yes, rain is certainly an issue.

Thing is, part of your problem could also be your tuner. Not all tuners are made equal, especially digital tuners. My main setup is actually a tuner card in my living room computer. My bedroom tuner is a set-top converter. Prior to building that computer in the living room, I had two set-top boxes of the same make and model. All three of them plug into the exact same roof-top antenna. All three of them have completely different sensitivities and each one can receive some channels that the other two cannot. Additionally, with my PC-based tuner, it depends on what software I'm using to drive it, because each program attempts to decode at a different signal level. So there are a lot of factors to consider here.

Wind is one of the weather features I've noticed, and part of it can be the moving trees (the same thing caused reception issues for many pelple on UHF in the analog days, and most digital signals are on UHF frequencies nowadays), but I get the impression that it's also simply the antenna moving.

Except that my outside antenna is lying flat on the roof surface and cannot move, even a little bit. For awhile I also tried it on a mast but the results were the same.

Thing is, part of your problem could also be your tuner.

That is certainly possible. I have two big screens feeding off the big outside antenna. Both of them have identical results regarding performance and sensitivity. They are not the same brand. The "TV" I watch the most is my PC and uses the familiar VHF/UHF rabbit ears sitting on a window sill. This setup obviously does not have the reception of the big outdoor antenna but it does get all but a couple of the LP stations reliably (minus the problems described earlier). I do notice that the indoor antenna is very sensitive to location and sometimes moving it just an inch or two makes a big difference. Also, when someone walks behind it the reception gets hit (either pixelates or goes away). That doesn't make too much sense to me either. I have another TV in the upstairs bedroom with a similar rabbit ears antenna and it tends to pick up stations that the downstairs PC antenna doesn't, however it is connected to an digital converter box feeding an analog TV.

I should mention that I live in a two-story house. The outdoor antenna lies on the porch roof which is about 10' off the ground. The indoor PC antenna is on the first floor looking west towards the towers. The upstairs antenna is about 25' off the ground and also points west towards the towers.

Last edited:
I think it's more than just what landtuna is citing, as I am about two miles south and two miles west of him, and I don't have any problems at all with reception. Ever. I have a batwing indoor antenna set up in the attic feeding two TVs. Unfortunately, I have no idea what is causing his issues.

What I will agree with is, there are problems with digital that you didn't get with analog. Multipath, for example. With analog, you'd get a ghost image. With digital, you might not get anything at all.

And the high speed Internet likely means CABLE - Which means A CORD !!!

Some "Cord Cutter" plan.....

As for the "Digital" Antenna - Umm.....No comment :) heheh lol

That's worse than calling something you download off the Internet "Digital" (Funny - I always thought ALL downloads were digital)

JMO.....

Cheers & 73 :)

Last edited:
And the high speed Internet likely means CABLE - Which means A CORD !!!

Some "Cord Cutter" plan.....

AFAIK there is no substitute for a permanent connection to the Internet that does not involve either coax or phone line. The term "cord cutter" refers only to the TV portion of the connection because an OTA alternative is available.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom