• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Filing for experimental operation on 40MHz for amateur use

This just posted on several mail list:

S Africa hams just received authority to operate 40.675 to 40.685 MHz...
https://www.icasa.org.za/Portals/0/...o Frequency Spectrum Regulations/RFSR2015.pdf

I, as my company, Southeast Texas Telecom, LLC just filed for experimental operation in that same segment....500 stations max (could be increased), 400watts ERP, 100meters AGL max, all technical aspects of Part 97 will apply, modes of USB, 10k b/w FM and CW ONLY have been requested (data MAY be added later but under Part 5, experimental rules, ID must be done in voice OR CW ONLY...NO data allowed...dont think I will be changing the mode request...) Fixed and Mobile operation has been requested in ALL 50 US states and territories...with a freq tolerance of 5ppm (normal)...Amateur radio callsigns have been requested to be allowed under waiver and STT will act as US coordinator for all stations allowed to operate...(callsign, address and phone/email contact info on file)...Co-primary status has been requested with NO harmful interference allowed (like the 5MHz band)....NO rptrs or crossbanding will be allowed...this is an experimental operation with amateur callsigns as a WAIVER requested...(the FCC usually issues amateur like callsigns like WA2Xyz.....with the X denoting eXperimental...but for this, I want hams to use their normal calls...NOTE NO OPERATION WOULD BE ALLOWED without prior coordination via my company but once granted, the user may be able to operate under their callsign....ANY interference would result in an email from me and users would have to cease operation. Thats normal in experimental operations..

We will see what the FCC does....requested 12 months operation and then will file a request to change the Amateur Service rules based on the study. This is just like the 218-220MHz packet operation too...

I have a lot of DB201s on 48MHz...they can be made to go down by adding on the VERY top of the folded monopole...will make them and NMO40s, etc. available at special rate (or less) if/when the FCC comes through on the request.

Note 10k b/w FM is less than 2.5kHz deviation MAX...so no using 5kHz systems if this gets approved...Of course, rigs like ICOM 706s, etc will be allowed...probably need to modify it to USB and CW only.....but thought use of Midland STIIs, etc on FM at reduced deviation will be nice...and FUN!!!

Stay tuned......

Chris
WB5ITT
President, Southeast Texas Telecom, LLC (STT)
Frequency Coordinator and Vice Chairman, Society of Broadcast Engineers (SBE) Chapter 134 (SE TX and SW La)
List Owner, [email protected]
Group Admin, LandMobileRadio(LMR) on FaceBook

And the purpose of this experiment is what? Look, to be clear I'm a ham, but I fail to see why Amateurs need to play around with more spectrum, while an amazing amount of the existing band plan is vacant. Regularly being on 6M, I get the interesting propagation of that section of spectrum. I just don't understand what the point here.

^-- This.

I was once a ham op myself, too. Isn't there enough unused spectrum being squatted on and forgotten by ham ops already? How many of these supposed hundreds and hundreds of new licencees each year as proudly boasted about in the official ARRL propagana are even aware of anything beyond 140/220/430 and maybe shortwave/11m?

Seems like the 40 MHz band could be put to more productive use, like a prototype DARS service (think EU147 low-band) to ultimately replace Ibiquity, for example.

Last edited:
40 MHz would just be wiped out by in-home RFI. Better that the Hams play with it, using real antennas. No consumers will put up with the dropouts and problems.

BIG QUESTION - WHERE are they gonna get the TXers from ?? I don't know of anyone who makes rigs to cover the band (Even my ICOM IC-706 MKII-G jumps to 6M from the edge of the 10M band)

Cheers & 73 :)

BIG QUESTION - WHERE are they gonna get the TXers from ?? I don't know of anyone who makes rigs to cover the band (Even my ICOM IC-706 MKII-G jumps to 6M from the edge of the 10M band)

Cheers & 73 :)

Build it! Designs for 6 or 10 meters should work just fine with proper conversion.

But I don't know why the entire ISM band (40.66 to 40.7 MHz) couldn't be used as a secondary ham band. The more spectrum, the better, I always say. It'd be good for low power digital work -- emphasis on low power, say, 10 watts PEP output or less.

Lots of lowband commercial gear covers 40MHz....Midland Syntech IIs can cover it easily...the proposed operation was denied by the FCC due to 500 transmitters proposed and no specific location details...the proposal will be refiled shortly with better details (filing fee is only $75)....

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom