• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

NORWAY TO DROP FM RADIO AND SOON! This is no joke.

"Sadly, these same advantages are exactly why we will never have DAB here. DAB was a threat to billions of dollars of investment in radio properties, made with the understanding they would be protected from competition."
"The big reason why DAB did not gain interest two decades ago is that the 'internationally recognised' DAB band in the US had long ago been given to military use."

That and DAB is an industry standard and not proprietary-- a big no-no in this country for whatever reason. We *do* have DAB here, in a loose sense of the term, in the form of proprietary Ibiquity. But real honest-to-whichever 147 DAB? Nuh uh. Probably not in my lifetime.

L-band isn't the only internationally recognised band A.F.A.I.K. (See Chuck's earlier post.) There are also a couple others including 200 MHz, but of course you risk setting off the few hamhocks who will scream bloody murder if anything even remotely disturbs "their" band that almost nobody uses in the first place. No sense kicking a hornet's nest. Then of course there's the ages old debate of repurposing low-VHF, but I'm not going to beat that dead horse in this thread (redundant).

"Congress mandated a switch to HDTV"

Actually mandated HD? When did that happen? Last I heard they only mandated ATSC but left the video resolution up to the individual broadcaster. Or maybe I've been in a coma for the last 15 years or so?

The reason we won't get proper DAB here is the same one why we got stuck with our existing crappy closed packet system for terrestrial video broadcasting when there was already a far superiour open system already in use for much of the world. (Well, it is widely used on satellites here [you use it if you use an Echostar system] but that doesn't count in this discussion.) You know, we could have at least had an industry standard audio codec had Dolby Labs not seduced MIT with its dirty money. But that's all water under the bridge now, and the sad reality is we are stuck with probably the single most hideous kludge ever in the history of television broadcasting: ATSC.

When a lot of this was being considered, those AM's weren't such big "boat anchors." Since the frenzy days of 1996 and beyond, most large groups have been living for quick profits right now and not thinking long term.

Radio stations have been living for this quarter's and this year's profits since the 30's.

What was a significant part of the consolidation of 1996 is the fact that due to overpopulation of the radio bands by the FCC, about half of all stations were losing money. That many stations were not profitable was nothing new but the extent of the losses was.

But that's all water under the bridge now, and the sad reality is we are stuck with probably the single most hideous kludge ever in the history of television broadcasting: ATSC.

Cheer up Darth, ATSC 3.0 is in the testing phase as we type. I just returned from a conference that reviewed the testing protocols.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom