• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

1140 KYOK...Katy, now?

P

purpledevil

The signal sounds significantly stronger today than usual (that is, when it's on). Just ID'ed as KYOK Conroe-Houston, though. Anyone else getting a markedly improved signal out of 1140?

Last edited:
Cant be IDing as Conroe if its in Katy....

Can't....or shouldn't?

This IS a sister station to KZZB, you know. All bets are off. Perhaps it had to do with the weather we had around here last night. Big storms were wreaking havoc on the south side of Houston yesterday, which is what really caught my attention while parking the dial at 1140. Not a single crackle or sign of static when a lightning strike was clearly visible in the vicinity. The Conroe site shoots itself to the east towards Cleveland. It sounded like it was sending the signal due south yesterday. Likely the best signal I've personally ever heard come from 1140. I also heard several spots from Wash Allen, Jesse Jackson, etc. referring to KYOK as "Houston's legendary KYOK", or a derivative of the words. Don't recall any promos like that before, but that may be because I rarely listen to KYOK at all.

I KNOW 1140...when I was in Conroe, they upgraded to 5kw and I went over as a rep for GSU because we had a 34.5kv line right in the directional pattern and the contract engineer who was working on the upgrade (he was CE of one of the indie TV stations in Houston...BIG burly guy...but damn if I can remember his name) was very friendly and when he found out my broadcast background, we got along great!! He explained what detuning he wanted to do on one pole...I told go ahead....sounded ok to me...and got GSU to ok the attachment to the pole....

HOWEVER, 1140 was also a thorn in the side to the Conroe PD...their VHF rptr at the time had a 1.14MHz split (YEP you read that right!!)....and they left the damn transmitter on at night at lot of times...the City's IT/ radio guy and I were friends and he called me one night...the PD rptr was HOWLING!!!!...and asked if I could do anything...I called local GSU dispatch and had a service man go over and pull the line fuse!! Next morning when they called to complain, I took the call and told them, do it again and Steve Lee will be knocking on your door.......never had a problem after that!! :)

Checking 1140 just after 1:30pm on Sunday: The signal is still coming from Conroe, determined by nulling it on a portable radio. Were it coming from the new Katy site the null would be 90 degrees different at my location.

Also noted that KGOW is on its night site at the same time. Their day/night sites are about 90 degrees apart at my location, so easy to tell apart.

The signal sounds significantly stronger today than usual (that is, when it's on). Just ID'ed as KYOK Conroe-Houston, though. Anyone else getting a markedly improved signal out of 1140?

Much stronger

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom