• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

March Ratings

Atlanta radio: what can you say? Identity crises?

Everything seems to be quite the same, nothing to shocking in this March book. However, I feel someone needs to do something with:
1. All News 106.7 ----> Please change the format. I think an Alternative (WKQX-FM in Chicago) would be a great choice.
2. Radio 105.7 -----> Don't see this radio station going that far down the road, it's not real alternative unlike other iHeart Media alternative stations. Bring back the Active Rock format and I think people might be happy. I really don't think the signal is the issue here, it's really the content and music.
3. If Star 94 is indeed bought by Intercom, they would be a good station for Adult Hits/Variety. I do not think they will all of a sudden boost the ratings when the deal is all said and done. I know, the idea of changing a format that has long been an iconic radio station in Atlanta is a hard realization to take in.

Your thoughts?

1. While I agree that 106.7 needs to do something different, Atlanta has more than enough Alternative stations. Radio 105.7 probably isn't flipping any time soon, either. Classic Hits would be a great idea for this station.
2. Project had some serious billing issues, hence why it was first to flip. That and given the down cycle Active Rock has been in, I don't see iHeart flipping anything more than a translator to Active Rock.
3. Star isn't doing great, but it's doing ok and remember, Hot AC tends to bill very well. I am curious to see what changes Entercom makes here, as they run some fantastic Hot ACs in other markets.
4. If the other Cumulus Classic Hip Hoppers can hold any ratings traction (Indy and Memphis), perhaps OG can make the move to 106.7. Looks like the Radio One stations are sliding off, though, in this format.

Last edited:
How did 106.7 do? I know they were hoping to boost their numbers by revamping their morning and afternoon shows. Did they go up at all?

Well 106.7 never really moved from "the back of the bus". Something needs to change there. The alternative station in Chicago the one person mentioned above is amazing station but I agree with Cricket. You will have to see both X and Radio flop off and then would you see Cumulus try that.

On second thoughT, the old rule is if a format falls off because of poor ratings than regardless of who tries it, it will also fail. Of course, I disagree with that. Cricket is right about Project billing but I will also say Project was a very repetitive active rock station. Ever heard Entercom active rock stations? OMG! That would be awesome on 94 and would probably kill one or both alternative stations. (Note: I love alternative but I'd listen to WSB News Talk or Rock 100.5 before I listened to the same old 90s song on Radio 105.7 or EchoSmith 24/7 on X107).

I can't understand why WFSH ratings fluctuate so much. People get religious one month and then not the next? They are listed as AC, but I don't listen to them.....aren't they still playing mostly religious music?
We all KNOW why they go up in November and December, but I have no idea why they fluctuate so much the rest of the year.

They play AC Christian Contemporary, so musically they are akin to a mainstream AC.

I'd like to see that happen. I think X107.1 is a waste even though there signal is weak. You can't really hear them clear on 98.5 HD3. Radio 105.7 is not the same alternative station that has the energy to succeed unlike other big markets (Dallas, Houston and Denver). Could they move it to a stronger signal, if they're any out there available? again, I think Cox should just drop X107.1.

Active Rock on 94.1? I bet that will cause mix feelings. 98.5 should be the station that should go AC and stop flirting with Q, Star and Power unless Star 94.1 capsizes and flips.

Last edited:
Well 106.7 never really moved from "the back of the bus". Something needs to change there. The alternative station in Chicago the one person mentioned above is amazing station but I agree with Cricket. You will have to see both X and Radio flop off and then would you see Cumulus try that.

On second thoughT, the old rule is if a format falls off because of poor ratings than regardless of who tries it, it will also fail. Of course, I disagree with that. Cricket is right about Project billing but I will also say Project was a very repetitive active rock station. Ever heard Entercom active rock stations? OMG! That would be awesome on 94 and would probably kill one or both alternative stations. (Note: I love alternative but I'd listen to WSB News Talk or Rock 100.5 before I listened to the same old 90s song on Radio 105.7 or EchoSmith 24/7 on X107).

**Chrocket87 - Don't ask me where the hell I got Cricket from.

^ lol, no worries. And while I'm more of a WABE guy than a WSB fan, I get your point about the ho-hum alt-rock stations in Atlanta. I personally prefer Cumulus active rock stations to iHeart, perhaps that should go onto Rock 100.5, since they are overdue for their 6 month direction change (wow, that "Rock" brand has been all over the place). I haven't heard any Entercom actives, but it seems like they have great ratings/revenue in the western markets, so they can't sound too bad.

^ lol, no worries. And while I'm more of a WABE guy than a WSB fan, I get your point about the ho-hum alt-rock stations in Atlanta. I personally prefer Cumulus active rock stations to iHeart, perhaps that should go onto Rock 100.5, since they are overdue for their 6 month direction change (wow, that "Rock" brand has been all over the place). I haven't heard any Entercom actives, but it seems like they have great ratings/revenue in the western markets, so they can't sound too bad.

Unlike most active rock stations, Entercom tends to lean more new. It's mostly 2000+ with only a handful of 90s grunge and classic rock. Clear Channel so called "active rock" stations sound almost mainstream rock with about a 50/50 post and pre 2000. Entercom also does a damn good job on alternative as well. Check out the Kansas City cluster where Entercom has both an active rock and alternative station. The active rock is true active rock and the alternative station is amazing.

Alex - Ever since 98 went more Hot AC direction, their ratings went up. I don't see them going back AC. You referenced the cluster in Dallas and Houston and in my opinion, Buzz and Edge both tend to be very "A" typical alternative stations for Clear Channel although those Texas stations tend to lean sorta active rockish at times. You also referenced Channel 933. I'm convinced the program director of Channel 933 in Denver basically has a huge middle finger poster in his office with a iheart media symbol in the middle. Channel 933 is unlike any other iheart media station in the country. They lean pretty indie, dig deep and focus a lot on local artists. I also doubt a more indie leaning alternative station will work in Atlanta. Atlanta is way too cliche' top 40/American Idol/Mainstream. Not saying there is anything wrong with that (I'm not a hipster dammit) but a more diverse true alternative radio station would never work in Atlanta. Star going in an active rock direction would be the best possible direction.

Chrocket may disagree with me on this though (with regards to alternative in Atlanta).

Last edited:
Based on Mr. Ho's observations, it sounds like 92.9 is killing 680. And of course 790 is now out of the game (pun not intended) altogether for all intents and purposes...it will be interesting to see what Entercom does with 790.

92.9 has the Hawks and the Falcons; think they will make a run at the Braves or Georgia Tech at some point, or will Dickey/Cumulus hang on to them?

So, that pretty much takes 92.9 off of Flip Watch, and iHeart seems to be happy with Patron. That leaves 106.7 as the only likely flip candidate, not counting signals changing hands like 590, 790, and 94.1, and we know what's going to happen to 590 and consequently 970. I still want to know what Salem is going to do with 1400.

Last edited:
I don't remember The Dave on 92.9 but putting that type of triple A format on 106.7fm would be ideal. In regards of Cox's 104.1, I am getting tired of Cox putting several simulcast translators. Atlanta is becoming a market catered to only young and older African American listeners. Quite one sided if you ask me.

On the other hand, I really am curious to see what Entercom will do with Star 94. Most likely they will keep it with a Hot AC format but don't think that will boost the ratings. An Active Rock or Adult Hits station will be a nice, fresh of breath air. (Hint, hint).

Last edited:
A look at the population demographics of the region wil show you to whom and why the various Cox signals are aimed. They're good at it, and they make money at it. Don't be looking for altruism there.

I don't remember The Dave on 92.9 but putting that type of triple A format on 106.7fm would be ideal. In regards of Cox's 104.1, I am getting tired of Cox putting several simulcast translators. Atlanta is becoming a market catered to only young and older African American listeners. Quite one sided if you ask me.

On the other hand, I really am curious to see what Entercom will do with Star 94. Most likely they will keep it with a Hot AC format but don't think that will boost the ratings. An Active Rock or Adult Hits station will be a nice, fresh of breath air. (Hint, hint).

Urban gets superserved because it brings ratings in this town and the listeners are fiercely loyal, which brings in the ad dollars. 3 of the top 10 stations and 5 of the top 15 are urban or another Black format. Like in most businesses, the only color that matters is green. It just eats Cox up that they don't consistently have the #1 station in their hometown, but that doesn't mean Cox or Radio One is going to stop trying--quite the opposite.

I would love adult hits on 94.1, or anywhere else for that matter.

Days after my original post, now that the fog has cleared. The fact that his new 40 YEARS OF DANCE format which began in Atlanta on my station is #1, #13, Top 15, Top 25, Top 25 at 5 different web radio portals which rank by popularity (after only 13 months on the air) is NEWS and it is relevant.
THE END

Since you use the term "in Atlanta" please compare your audience size with a leading AM or FM broadcast station in the market.

The #1 station averages around 23,000 listeners in the 6 AM to Midnight period from Monday to Sunday. How many active streams does your dance streaming service average?

Well, if I counted correctly, the top 5 players 6+ are:

Cox 22.8
Radio 1 13.5 (Remember, New Mableton Broadcasting is owned by Radio 1)
Cumulus 12.9
iHeart 12.0
CBS 10.4

Being nearly twice the listeners of the next player I doubt Tony is lying awake nights in fear for his employment - nor is Cox going broke anytime soon.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom