• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Big announcement around 4 on WHAS

There is a promo running on 84 (840) saying a major announcement will air on Terry's show. With Mandy Connells theme music she had while on there in the background.

I was going to a replacement had been announced for Lach.

http://www.whas11.com/story/news/local/2015/04/14/whas-radio-to-announce-programming-change-tomorrow/25794639/

Last edited:
Mandy Connell will be on from 6p-8p on WHAS starting May 18th. She'll be broadcasting from Denver.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the reception of the news of her leaving Louisville pretty much along the lines of "so what, who cares?" I seem to even remember her addressing this very issue...

Also, I find it intriguing that they are pulling completely away from a daily sports show, despite the fact that sports is probably the only thing that is keeping them even remotely relevant with those under the age of 50.

Terry Meiners said that he started working with iHeartRadio on a new deal last fall and one thing they offered was to shorten his show to 3 hours.Then when Lachlan announced he was leaving it opened the door for something other than sports talk in the evening.So WHAS ends up with a "local" show from 6PM - 8PM that's not really local since Mandy is staying in Denver.
I think WHAS might as well go in a different direction in the evenings since there is already enough local sports talk on the four sports stations we have here in Louisville.I'm sure one or more of them will do local sports in that time slot if they don't already.
BTW Mark Levin will be on after Mandy from 8PM - 11PM and Ground Zero from 11PM - 1AM.

http://www.whas.com/articles/newsra...y-connell-returning-to-newsradio-840-13503280

Last edited:
I'm just trying to figure out where this "huge demand" for her to come back was. Reading comments on news sites, including even the ones at WHAS, I'm seeing very little enthusiasm and quite a bit of annoyance. I've heard lots of people say that they miss Francene, I've heard people say they miss John Ziegler, I've even heard people say they miss Jane Norris. But Mandy Connell? Not so much. It seems like she spent almost all of her (rather short) time here constantly complaining about Louisville and showing almost no interest in anything that wasn't Florida. I'm also intrigued that she is going to do a "local" Louisville show, supposedly with Louisville topics, all the way from Denver. If somebody who actually made a significant radio career here and moved away tried to pull that off, I could see it working, but Louisville was more like an airline layover for her.

And of course, they're saying this will be completely live. I'm trying to figure out how that is realistically going to work with her doing a five hour show every day in Denver, airing 5 AM-10 AM, then she is back on the air 4-6 (Denver time) for WHAS. That isn't to mention that if she is actually going to do a local Louisville show, she is going to have to somehow become well-versed on what is actually happening in Louisville while she isn't on the air. How can anybody do hours like that without burning out within a week? I know Terry Meiners does something almost along those lines with Great Day Live and his own show, but he can handle it since he isn't trying to do something for two completely different markets at once...

Last edited:
I am a big fan of Mandy coming back on the air, but you know why couldn't they offered this for Lach in Charlotte? I am sure he could broadcast from the iHeart studios there?

I'm just trying to figure out where this "huge demand" for her to come back was.

Be for real. There wasn't a "huge demand" for her to come back. There wasn't a demand of any size.

They got rid of Lachlan. I know his wife got a gig elsewhere but I have no doubt they pulled the trigger on Lach. It's well known iHeart is cutting expenses, and with the new sports stations in town it made getting rid of Lach relatively painless. (And this is why they didn't syndicate Lach- they wanted to drop sportstalk.)

So set before them was the question of what to put on the air to replace Lach. Mandy still works for the company, is available via syndication, and is already well known in Louisville. This is a triple no-brainer. Call Mandy and sign her up and problem is solved.

Oh yeah- let's claim there was a "big demand"- maybe that will create some buzz. LOL. Whatever.

I get that. I just don't understand why they went with her. She is a cheap option but by no means the cheapest. There are plenty of syndicated programs they could have used to fill in the hole much more cheaply.

Last edited:
As usual, Greg is right. It's all about not spending any more money than they have to. Just look to recent events at WAMZ for another example of that. Meanwhile, Ron and Mel are on the sidelines. iHeart$$$

I get that. I just don't understand why they went with her. She is a cheap option but by no means the cheapest. There are plenty of syndicated programs they could have used to fill in the hole much more cheaply.

You can't just go with the cheapest alternative. Remember you're blowing up a sports program in favor of general topical/ political on one of the stations in the building that matters. They instantly lose ALL their usual audience. This is no time to risk a show that might not go well.

Mandy is already known in this market and will be an instant draw.

This is the kind of thing Kelly Carls would sit down at the table and fight for. It might cost him the fall marketing budget on a lesser station to make up for the extra expense, but it's worth the sacrifice.

Let Mandy set the new tone in the evening. They can go cheap next time.

You can't just go with the cheapest alternative. Remember you're blowing up a sports program in favor of general topical/ political on one of the stations in the building that matters. They instantly lose ALL their usual audience. This is no time to risk a show that might not go well.

Mandy is already known in this market and will be an instant draw.

This is the kind of thing Kelly Carls would sit down at the table and fight for. It might cost him the fall marketing budget on a lesser station to make up for the extra expense, but it's worth the sacrifice.

Let Mandy set the new tone in the evening. They can go cheap next time.

That makes sense. At least this way, they're progressively diminishing the quality of the post-Terry Meiners hours rather than diving head first into an empty pool. I wonder how long this arrangement will actually last.

I remember the "Mandy Minute" that WHAS aired after Mandy first left.That didn't last long.It was replaced by An American Story with Tom Brokaw.

Did hear Lach say the other night that a familiar voice will be back on the air again soon. Wasn't talking about Mandy and not sure what station either.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom