• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KPWR playlist unreal

OK you guys they played the song
"Often" already 6 times this morning, and it seems they play it every 15 minutes at other times. Check the playlist from today and yesterday.

Often
And time of our lives are the most played songs. I believe in a tight playlist. But 3 times in an hour? jezz

Last edited:
Obviously .... there is a reason .... OR .... they aren't listening to their own station.
Why not call the station and ask?

Last edited:
Frankberry, I appreciate your comments, they are comparing this guy to Michael Jackson, sorry Michael Jackson didn't even get played 3 times in 1 hour. And he didn't sound like any other artist, he had his own style. I'm thinking KPWR, is trying to compete against Real 92.3 with the most requested artist. But 3 times in an hour. Even KROQ, KRTH, KIIS, don't do that.

Perhaps they are only looking for attention. If so, they got what they wanted. They've made a few people talk about the station.

The Weeknd (Abel Tesfaye) released Often in June of 2014. KPWR is playing the remix featuring Schoolboy Q and Rick Ross. In a two-and-a-half-hour period today, the song aired nine times, at 12:35, 12:58, 1:09, 1:23, 1:26, 1:39, 1:45, 2:10 and 3:00. And I thought KRTH was repetitive!

It's been like this since Sunday, that being "extreme heavy rotation" with the song "often" and truffle butter as well.

Way to go Power 106. You are driving off listeners in droves. If my local CHR played the latest Maroon 5 every 14 minutes, the station would flip due to low morale from listeners in just weeks. Even every 2 hours is a little too much. KPWR used to be such a heritage hip-hop station in the 1990s, and was well known even outside of Los Angeles. Now a shell of its own self, like the hundreds and hundreds of other CHRs/Rhythmics out there.

-crainbebo

Way to go Power 106. You are driving off listeners in droves.

You're assuming that everyone reacts the same way as you do. They don't.

This is a promotional gimmick that's been tried numerous times in this format, and it hasn't driven away listeners.

Way to go Power 106. You are driving off listeners in droves. If my local CHR played the latest Maroon 5 every 14 minutes, the station would flip due to low morale from listeners in just weeks. Even every 2 hours is a little too much. KPWR used to be such a heritage hip-hop station in the 1990s, and was well known even outside of Los Angeles. Now a shell of its own self, like the hundreds and hundreds of other CHRs/Rhythmics out there.

-crainbebo

Yeah, I agree. What a tune out and a turn off to play that song, so many times in such a short period of time. Gimmick or not, it's stupid.

You're assuming that everyone reacts the same way as you do. They don't.

This is a promotional gimmick that's been tried numerous times in this format, and it hasn't driven away listeners.

People that TIRE of hearing songs with such ridiculous frequency, will tune out.

Even every 2 hours is a little too much.

During the glory years of WABC in New York... when it had the highest cume of any station in the nation... the #1 song played every 90 minutes. The rest of the current rotations were nearly as tight.

Yeah, I agree. What a tune out and a turn off to play that song, so many times in such a short period of time. Gimmick or not, it's stupid.

Are you an Hispanic male between the ages of 18 and 34? I ask because that has traditionally been the largest part of the KPWR audience.

Do you have statistics to back that up?

It is a common and natural human reaction to avoid things that repeat over and over that causes one to tire and cause boredom as a consequence. Music is one of them. Don't need stats, it happens with nearly everyone including you.

"Moonraker" is my favorite Bond movie of all time. "Shawshank Redemption" is tops on my list. As favorites are they are to myself, I can only watch them so many times. Once every several months is just fine, if that.

If "Shawshank..." aired every night, I could not watch it, as great as that film is. Same applies to music. I could not (and will not) listen to my favorite songs every day or week for that matter. What Power 106 (and 101) are doing, frankly is absurd.

Moderation is key.

In retail, if the store looked the same day in and day out without stocking new merchandise to replace ones that sold, you'd lose business.

Thankfully, in restaurants, the opposite applies. In the case of McD's (as mentioned on the other thread) people want simplicity, burger, fries and soda. In and Out Burger thrives on this principle.

Last edited:
Don't need stats.

So once again, your answer is no.

Radio stations don't do things to lose audience. Don't you understand this? They do things that they know will attract an audience. It's their job. The have a financial interest to do things that attract an audience. And unlike you, they have statistics to back them up.

You can talk about yourself. But you can't talk about the listeners to this station. Because you're not one of them. And they're not like you.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom