• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KPWR playlist unreal

Meanwhile, the next generation thinks, with certain exceptions like Big Boy, that radio is boring and predictable and will only use it in the absence of a multiple of preferred alternatives. That is not just what I am saying, it is what they are saying.

Show me where they say that. The audience figures for millennials listening to broadcast radio are far greater than just one station. I can show you audience statistics that prove what I say. But first, show me all of your facts. Just remember...people will say all kinds of things. What matters is what they DO.

You don't understand the Norway story at all. I've leave that for someone else to explain. That's a government decision, not a programming one.

In general, we don't see that "better programming" is the primary motivation. Because when you evaluate the choices they're making, they're not based on "better programming," but rather things like convenience of device, ability to program it for more individualized choices, and the ability to interact with the content. But listen to the music they choose to listen to, and tell me it's "better." You mention Pandora, but is it "better?" Have you listened to it yourself? Name all the DJs on Pandora. What's compelling about the presentation on Pandora? Once again, you're assuming that they think like you think, and they like what you like. It's pretty obvious that they don't. So stop trying to put words in their mouths.

Last edited:
And now it is starting to really happen. Read an article just today that said Norway is cancelling all FM stations and moving to some digital platform. That wouldn't have happened if radio was competitive with its online and on-device competition.

Norway is a nation with a population just a bit larger than the Pheonix metro area. Radio is mostly in the hands of the government, which has decided to change all its stations from the FM to the DAB band. DAB is not a new platform... it is just a higher frequency band where all broadcast radio will move in order to create more radio stations.

Oh, they are going to call them "FM" anyway. It's just a new band which is digital only... just like the change in the US FM band 70 years ago from 45 mHz to 88 to 107 mHz.

The system is not unlike the change of TV to HDTV where each channel can carry a number of different programs on a single transmitter. This reduces the technical costs of operation for broadcasting in this very small nation by, it's reported, 75%. Since the Norwegian runs with a far more centralized and pervasive national government system, this is just a case of the operations being determined by administrators who can say, "we know what is good for the listeners".

At present, less than 25% the homes in Norway have digital DAB band receivers. But they will just have to buy them or not listen at all.

That is not the way we do things in the US. Fortunately.

Last edited:
Read an article just today that said Norway is cancelling all FM stations and moving to some digital platform. That wouldn't have happened if radio was competitive with its online and on-device competition. I am sure some stations will survive and just move to a new digital address, but I also bet some stations will just fall by the wayside.

Here's the deal on the Norway FM "shutdown":

It's purely a government decision to move 22 government-owned channels (which is all they've got for radio in Norway) to a digital broadcast signal from an analog one. It will still be tuned in on radios (just new digital receivers) and will likely still be called "FM".

You may remember last decade when American television stations turned off their analog transmitters and went digital. Same thing. On one day, TV switched systems. Not in response to any competitive situation or decline in the medium, but rather, a re-allocation of spectrum.

Are we talking about whether or not listeners want a format which has personalities all day, or are we talking about them wanting a format which has a highly visible morning personality and a liner-driven format in other dayparts?

And even the expectations from a DJ change over time. Today's expectations seem to favor a bit of presence but nothing intrusive.

I was reading today an article in LA's own TV-Radio Life from March of 1953 entitled "Is the Disk Jockey on the Wane" which goes on to say that the "future of platter-spinners has the boys who whirl the wax going round and round". It says that the DJs of the day, who were often scripted, are being overshadowed by the promoters of songs from "Tin Pan Alley" and the listers are more focused on the music than the patter.

I guess this discussion comes up every few years. And it goes back at least 60 of those years!

That does it!!!
Where is Boz. I'm tired of this! Grow up you guys or don't blog on my thread!
Boz, already told you guys no personal attacks, mocking each other etc.
I'm going to have to report my own thread.

DAMN!!!

First. This is not YOUR thread. This is a discussion group.
I will review the posts in this thread.

Frank

First. This is not YOUR thread. This is a discussion group.
I will review the posts in this thread.

Frank

Thank you Frank. Sorry, I just get tired of every time I post a thread, people take personal jabs on each other it's got to stop. I like coming here. And this site isn't Facebook. I would appreciate people taking into consideration other people's points of view WITHOUT personal jabs, attacks. Etc.

I didn't read through all the responses, but is the song even a hit? I thought "Earned It" was the current song being pushed.

32james is correct when he says this site is not Facebook. I have absolutely no idea what Michael, David, K.M., BigA and ChannelFlipper had for dinner. :)

I would appreciate people taking into consideration other people's points of view WITHOUT personal jabs, attacks. Etc.

James, the mild jabs you are seeing are nowhere close to the ones that Boz came down on everyone for.

I haven't taken personal offense at anything directed at me in this thread, and I think you need to look at this a little more objectively.

That said, Frank is right in that this isn't "your" thread. Once it starts, it belongs to everyone.

Seriously I'm missing the problem here. This was a pretty good read of consensus radio programming think, and the rationale from that on why they would play this song so frequently. All the counter arguments from those who don't like repetition are here as well.
Then you got some comments on this whole real vs power battle royale.

This comment from James is a reactionary move from Power 106. They never have been in this type of battle. They had a heated one with the Beat in the 90s, early 2000's, and the Beat won some books and a year or two of revenue. However, it wasn't with a launch of Power's station defining market legend morning man stolen by the new station. Also, power got spanked lol.
They have never had, overall numbers, in the 2s since they called it Magic 106 pre 1986(overall numbers are telling in their own right as if a station is down big and the new competitor has a nice increase surpassing you then you know that the key demo numbers are eroding-tsl when the cume is steady as well as the new station coming on with the cume which takes more time most of the time).

I'm a radio geek sorry lol. Just to add Power rode the dance music when the ratings went down, they finally changed to hip hop and won against the beat. This time hip hop is not as hot, and if you really want to hurt clear channel you go after the money machine at 102.7. I think they can find a mass appeal rhythmic format that is far more adventurous than Amp radio is, playing just the hottest hip hop/rnb, rhythmic pop no Taylor and good dance remixes of hot pop songs. Also the very hottest edm songs, lots of mixing at all times of the day. I would also do a serious throwback Thursday showcasing the heritage of power 106 as well.
--This is a Hispanic market along with many people of different ethnicity from all over the globe, dance music is the music of the world. Put on a station that feels L.A, all of these people are not monolithic in I only like Hip Hop as is the case with many African Americans and many whites in certain markets and this is old school thinking really, people are embracing dance music from edm to pop)

--This is a Hispanic market along with many people of different ethnicity from all over the globe, dance music is the music of the world. Put on a station that feels L.A, all of these people are not monolithic in I only like Hip Hop as is the case with many African Americans and many whites in certain markets and this is old school thinking really, people are embracing dance music from edm to pop)

If you look at Europe, where dance has been a very popular genre for decades, you see a heritage and tradition of dance partisans. They grow up on it, they club with it as young adults and they find the music socially acceptable.

In LA, most immigrants are from Mexico and Latin America. They are overwhelmingly partisans of Regional Mexican (Mexico and Central America) or Cumbia, Salsa, Vallenato and Merengue (most of the rest of the origin countries). They are definitely not dance fans, as there are only a very few dance stations in Latin America. The kids of those immigrants grow up without hearing dance in the home, and don't hear it on the radio.

Anecdotally, in Argentina... arguably the most European of the Latin American stations... the dance station that existed from the late 90's into the early 2000's failed due to bad ratings and changed format. Puerto Rico, USA, has never had a dance station because even dance shows on weekends got bad ratings.

Other immigrant groups from much of Asia and the Middle Eastern nations don't have any early exposure to dance. There is no dance station in Armenia and none in Iran or Iraq or Lebanon.

Add to that the limited exposure to dance even after years hear, and there is no heritage, no list of consensus favorite songs. A number of the big operators have researched dance and decided it would not work.

David the weekly four-page "K Herald" supplement in today's Los Angeles Times has a story about Korean-American YouTube star Megan Lee, who is co-starring in Nickelodeon's new musical-comedy series Make It Pop, described as a "K-pop inspired show that features a modern pop twist and an EDM beat." Megan says she would love to have K-pop star Eric Nam make a guest appearance on the show. An NBC News article about K-pop and a video which attempts to define it can be seen at http://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-america/american-talent-fueling-korean-pop-musics-fire-n345536

And I certainly do not need to tell you 최성합니다, 한국말 잘 못해요.

It is not 2005, if it were I would go along with this hip hop only sound for power, but it is 2015 and people under 40 like a variety of sounds, we want to pigeonhole each song but they don't, they either like it or they don't.

Sorry, but playing a variety of sounds from hip hop, pop, and dance does not mean the boring monotonous sound of evolution, I think I made that pretty clear that I was not calling for that.

One needs to only tune into kiis at 12n every weekday to understand the difference between LA and other markets. Power should not be playing less popular hip hop tracks in place of more popular pop and dance songs. If they try to out hip hop real 923, both of them will end up in the high 2s overall, and conceding the demos to kiis and amp.

When hip hop was super hot it made sense for power to take on that sound. Now, not only is the music not as popular, but they also have a competitor splitting the shares. The hispanics of this market, most are not 1st generation, don't conform to one sound, they like upbeat rhythmic music be it pop, dance or hip hop, it is about the song itself, not the genre.

Power should not drop all the hip hop stuff, no way, but just the best, wiz, fetty wop, nicki minaj etc, but they should be first on the new Pitbull C Brown track, as well as Omi, Years & Years etc, along with the pop sounds of Ariana, Jason Derulo ETC.

Power should not drop all the hip hop stuff, no way, but just the best, wiz, fetty wop, nicki minaj etc, but they should be first on the new Pitbull C Brown track, as well as Omi, Years & Years etc, along with the pop sounds of Ariana, Jason Derulo ETC.

I think the issue wasn't what they play, but how often they play it. So when they jumped on the new Pitbull, they played it once an hour.

They are not playing the new Pitbull yet, the one they were in power rotation with NeYo has been out for 9 months now, hardly a new song. As for the Weeknd song Often, they should be playing the clubkiller rmx, and they should be playing it once every 4 or 5 hours, it doesn't deserve power status, yet.

The issue should be what they are playing first and foremost, this market will not give a great deal of support to 2 hip hop stations, the African American population is not here for it, and it is not 2005. Real is locked into hip hop, they can't step on kiis, and with Big Boy they are positioned to be the dominant hip hop station.

With a 2.8 and the weak demos that go with it, Power needs to do something different. Even Hot 97 has lessened up on their hip hop sound recently, tastes change, and radio reacts a good half year to a year late every time.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom