• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Another Seattle AM show hits the bricks - Jackie, Marco & Moote fired from Click 98.9

Country no. Won't pencil to be 3rd in market. Logically, one would expect some tweeking to stay in the CHR genre- therefore it is a bit surprising to fire the show after only 9 months, truly things take longer than that to gain traction. So then one can speculate about a bigger change and where they are holes in the market. I expect KJRF to go a bit more classic hits to grab KMCQ audience, probably JACK leans a bit more that way too, so then what hole does that open up. Advertisers want 25-49 which Movin and Warm serve reasonably well and they own the women piece. What format helps bring in those buys?

The fact that KMPS is promoting itself as the Northwest's new country leader baffles me. Also, why is KBKS calling itself Seattle's #1 hit music station? Both stations are being beaten by significant margins

Because as long as they don't reference Nielsen in those statements, any station can say they're number one. Listeners aren't going to bother to look up the ratings and see if the statement is true or not - that's something people on this board do.

And the "#1 Hit Music Station" line has been in use on stations nationwide since Reagan was president.

Apparently, no *new* ideas seem to be coming from anywhere. But dredging up another tired classic rock format, calling it "The Eagle" (in a nation FILLED with other classic rock radio stations that call themselves "The Eagle"), is about as innovative as calling a Hot AC station "Mix".

Tech has changed that. These "heard one, you've heard them all" monikers applied to stale formats have long become an embarrassing radio industry cliche. Radio is no longer separated purely by geographic distance. Most stations have online feeds, but more often than not parrot what the stations in another market are doing.

That said, KLCK-FM had some promise. I actually listened for a while at the beginning. I believe one of the original ideas I read in the P-I or something online when it was launched was to eventually make it accessible to local and indie music, a commercial version of KEXP if you will. What happened to that idea?

But there were problems from the get go. First, they started out alternative (and a super tight playlist, burned me out for life on "Sex On Fire" Kings of Leon and "Kids" MGMT in the first 72 hours!) and a couple months later, swung to Hot AC (Kelly Clarkson?), then swung back to alternative, and back to Hot AC. It's like a country station that swings classical. That's how wide the gap is between alternative and Hot AC is. So of course no one is going to know what to make of them.

So perhaps maybe rediscovering things that actually DID work and fewer gimmicks may be what's in order. I personally don't know anymore. I've long given up imagining anything for radio because nothing you can propose will ever work. Go ahead, toss up a new format idea and see how fast it gets shot down on this board.

But a classic rock station called "The Eagle" - WOW! GENIUS!!

Whatever....

So, you'd like to have "98-9 the Bong...all Hippie rock, all of the smoking time". Hippies are old school...they like classic rock. BTW Larry, how's that old '60s hippie truck running nowadays? Have you switched it over to biodiesel yet, or does it run on pot?

Last edited:
So, you'd like to have "98-9 the Bong...all Hippie rock, all of the smoking time". Hippies are old school...they like classic rock. BTW Larry, how's that old '60s hippie truck running nowadays? Have you switched it over to biodiesel yet, or does it run on pot?

...and since when did you become my spokesman?

Did I say anything about "hippie rock"? Or hippies? Or trucks that run on pot?

The only one with a vision of a radio station patterned after my supposed musical tastes (of which you're off by several decades) is you. Not me.

Dream on. But kindly keep me out of your fantasies. It's disturbing.

If I was trying to revive a country station 1st call I would make is to Ichabod. He was a pillar at KMPS, it's gone straight down the #### tube since.

He certainly is a radio legend in the NW, but i'm going to have to disagree with you. I don't think they had much choice but to bring in a new show that had a chance at giving Fitz some competition.

Again, Ford you're making an assumption based on limited information. Format flips aren't decided on 6+ Mo-Su numbers. Get your hands on the in-demo & daypart data (you said you worked in radio, right?) and see what management does.

That being said, the morning show was awful.

I would if I could, but unfortunately i'm the "low man on the totem pole". My apologies though, I know the 6+ are pretty useless, but I thought i'd throw it out there for the heck of it (because it I would imagine that the 6+ wouldn't look so rough if there was at least SOMETHING strong about KLCK). One of these days i'll learn to just shut up...

Regarding the morning show, it was very uncomfortable to listen to at times. At the same time, I would imagine its not the greatest feeling to work in an environment where you know that a proverbial "judgment day" of employment is looming.

Last edited:
Kelly,

You know how hard it is to establish a new morning show. Seattle is a tough market to crack, that's why you visit the past if it can help you win now. Yes, Kisw is talk and #1 in the morning. I would like to think there is room for a good music based Rock station morning show. Maybe not. We all know 25-54 is where the battle is. Where, Kelly, do you think the format hole is and how would you go about building a morning show that wins in a year? Not happening with new talent from outside the market. Juback was a producer here and has the help of a great fake call service. Tell me who is new in the market within the past couple years and doing well? I do respect your opinion and others here. Also would love to hear what others think. I still believe you have to visit the past to win now. Bob Rivers being at the head of that list!

Interesting questions. Please understand though, I'm no programming whiz but work professionally in the operations and technical world.

As others more much more qualified with current data like David Eduardo (G). have pointed out, the radio landscape has evolved. What format or personality popular back in the days when ratings were diary-derived, with far less stations and media choices, have been replaced with much more niche' and targeted programming with less talk, and of course, more places to find those choices. Ratings in the largest markets have shifted to much more immediate surveying in the form of PPM. Participants in diary ratings used to (and still do in some places) fill out their diary a day or even a few hours before the deadline. The accuracy of those surveys were naturally in question. Today PPM devices take the randomness and perception out of the listener responses, shifting to what the listener is hearing and when. In a nutshell, what PPM has revealed is that listeners who want music, whatever genre want music, not necessarily personality combined with their music. That now calls into question the viability of a music station with an expensive and elaborate morning show. A successful morning show, now more than ever, has to stand out and above in delivering the target demographics. Keep in mind too, larger cities like Seattle have listeners moving in and out at an increasingly rapid pace, most not remembering nor even ever hearing personalities of the past. Nor would those personalities probably resonate with listeners of today anyway. The bottom line is..you can't turn back the clock. Tastes change, competition increases, memories fade, listeners churn.

Last edited:
...and since when did you become my spokesman?

Did I say anything about "hippie rock"? Or hippies? Or trucks that run on pot?

The only one with a vision of a radio station patterned after my supposed musical tastes (of which you're off by several decades) is you. Not me.

Dream on. But kindly keep me out of your fantasies. It's disturbing.

No fantasies Larry...and besides it was all meant to be a joke.

Kelly,

You know how hard it is to establish a new morning show. Seattle is a tough market to crack, that's why you visit the past if it can help you win now. Yes, Kisw is talk and #1 in the morning. I would like to think there is room for a good music based Rock station morning show. Maybe not. We all know 25-54 is where the battle is. Where, Kelly, do you think the format hole is and how would you go about building a morning show that wins in a year? Not happening with new talent from outside the market. Juback was a producer here and has the help of a great fake call service. Tell me who is new in the market within the past couple years and doing well? I do respect your opinion and others here. Also would love to hear what others think. I still believe you have to visit the past to win now. Bob Rivers being at the head of that list!

Your note is a little contradictory, talking about "a good music based Rock station morning show" being needed, then implying that Bob Rivers should be re-hired.

Like Kelly A said, tastes change. Yes, there are times when hiring the likes of Bob Rivers might be a good idea, but there's a lot of criteria that must be met for that kind of thing to work out for both sides. And that's before talking money.

Your point goes right at the heart of a big problem with radio right now. Between filling out forms in triplicate for a new light bulb in the control room, programming at least two stations, meetings, conference calls, etc., when does a programmer have time to nurture a morning show?

Let's go back to Rivers. He might be able to get some immediate results, but for how long? At what point do you start programming for the future? You can't keep hiring Rivers-types every four or five years.

Building a successful station and a morning show in a year is not going to happen, let alone with a fake call service.

Something along the lines of the former KXRX.
Since it looks like we're doing a little hypothetical/"fantasy radio" here:
I actually think it would be a really interesting idea to bring back the old KXRX (IF you could even get the call letters from Pasco). Like others have said though, it would have to be a completely new take on KXRX and the letters would only serve as the brand. Not to mention, you can actually do quite a few things to brand those call letters ("Radio X" just sounds like an appealing rock radio station).
If there were ever to be a new station coming into the market to challenge KISW, I think it would be an intriguing concept.

Last edited:
What's wrong with KISW the way it is? Last time I looked, they have the top morning show for their demographic along with most of the day.

It always surprises me how entertaining I find Danny Bonaduce & Sarah when I tune in. As a guy about the same age as Danny, and listening to Seattle radio since before Lock Jock was on KING AM, I have heard a lot of great radio in the Pacific NW. Not that I would put the current morning show on KZOK in the great range, that is reserved for "Those Dudes" John Langan & Mike West on KISW in the late 70's and early 80's. I just think I can understand how Danny & Sarah can get good ratings in the pieces that I listen to-very entertaining and off beat.

Hot AC would make sense. Spoiler and keeps the younger numbers. Only my own opinion.

Whatever format they pick, they need to stick with it for awhile.

Having a morning show in for only nine months says they didn't think things through when they assembled them or they have something bigger coming.

Having a morning show in for only nine months says they didn't think things through when they assembled them or they have something bigger coming.

Something bigger? What morning show is going to want to take the job knowing their employer will pull the plug so quickly - and easily fires other talents (Lydia Cruz, Mark Christopher, etc)? Anyone with common sense will think twice about signing a deal - or at least include some kind of lucrative severance package.

That sage radio advice applies here: Rent, don't buy.

Something bigger? What morning show is going to want to take the job knowing their employer will pull the plug so quickly - and easily fires other talents (Lydia Cruz, Mark Christopher, etc)?

Easy there Cowboy, what I said was a combination of speculation and giving them the benefit of the doubt. I'm guessing it's more the former of what I said than the latter.

Nice spin job. "Something BIGGER" - if that's the case then why not come with that out of the box? This again is all indicative of a lack of leadership, vision, and commitment. Seriously they don't know what they want. Let's spin the wheel and throw this turd at the wall and see if it sticks. NOPE - Then fire the first PD as he's not getting it done and has attitude. We'll bring in some young talent and try making some music adjustments...still NOT clicking right...I know I know...how about we get some recognizable local talent and pair her up with some no name out of market folks and force them to try and be funny and hip. Nope, still NOT clicking... It's laughable. How anyone can't see that these people leading the charge are inept at making the right call. If you/ they had BIGGER plans or something better again my first point why not come with it right away and why jack around people and their lives. Since you / they didn't what that says is you / they made a mistake in bringing in the talent and music. But...and here is my BIG BUT - the kind folks there won't admit they made a mistake or two or three. Where is the accountability on that? Obviously they don't have a plan can't stick to a plan and have no class or tact when dealing with staff. The horror stories of people who have left building read like a Steven King novel. From PD's being fired on Xmas Eve while on their way home to see family to staff showing up to work and getting axed for no reason at all. Take a listen to these people, there are A LOT of them out there and what they have to say before taking any offer from the corner office in Factoria. I for one am excited to see what BIGGER turd plops in the bowl on 98.9 - Can we now flush this one down?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom