• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Another Seattle AM show hits the bricks - Jackie, Marco & Moote fired from Click 98.9

U

Unregistered

Another Seattle AM show hits the bricks - Jackie, Marco & Moote fired from Click 98.9

They had a 9-month run - and are replaced by PM co-personality Brad Nolan, while partner Heather Lee has afternoon drive all to herself.

No pun intended - but I think they didn't really click as a team.

They had a 9-month run - and are replaced by PM co-personality Brad Nolan, while partner Heather Lee has afternoon drive all to herself.

No pun intended - but I think they didn't really click as a team.

Good god why anyone would want to work for HBI is beyond me. Marco up and moves from Wisconsin for 9 months and gets blinded sided. Nice! WOW the powers that be there have a long history of blind siding people though. Laying odds on Jackie reuniting with Mike Preston at Hot 103.7 with Lydia Cruz in AM with a retooled format, CHR. Any takers?

Good god why anyone would want to work for HBI is beyond me. Marco up and moves from Wisconsin for 9 months and gets blinded sided. Nice! WOW the powers that be there have a long history of blind siding people though. Laying odds on Jackie reuniting with Mike Preston at Hot 103.7 with Lydia Cruz in AM with a retooled format, CHR. Any takers?

Don't forget Mark Christopher- he was let go from Warm late last year in favor of John Fisher. Been a rough time in Factoria lately...

Time to blow up KLCK-FM. Wouldn't be surprised if they tried country...seems to be the current hot format (KMPS looks like it can be taken to the woodshed). I'd like to see a real classic hits format again. KJR-FM's current take on classic hits is laughable (Madonna, Prince And Michael Jackson?...really?), and KMCQ is a very real short timer. Hubbard is having a format handed to them, if they choose to take it. 98-9 the Eagle? That sounds good to me, and I'm just past 40.

Time to blow up KLCK-FM. Wouldn't be surprised if they tried country...seems to be the current hot format (KMPS looks like it can be taken to the woodshed). I'd like to see a real classic hits format again. KJR-FM's current take on classic hits is laughable (Madonna, Prince And Michael Jackson?...really?), and KMCQ is a very real short timer. Hubbard is having a format handed to them, if they choose to take it. 98-9 the Eagle? That sounds good to me, and I'm just past 40.

Its sad to see the state of KMPS these days. It seems like no matter what they try (Candy+Potter morning show, Johnson+Johnson) nothing will ever be good enough to compete with Fitz. I seem to recall KMPS going by the moniker "The Northwest's New Country Leader" not too long ago...

Its sad to see the state of KMPS these days. It seems like no matter what they try (Candy+Potter morning show, Johnson+Johnson) nothing will ever be good enough to compete with Fitz. I seem to recall KMPS going by the moniker "The Northwest's New Country Leader" not too long ago...

It's laughable when KMPS says 'new' in any of their liners. Have they forgotten that they've been on the air (originally AM 1300) since 1975? Who are they trying to fool? And that part of country leader is also laughable too. Sound like they're stuck in their '90s heyday. (And I don't like Country (AKA, Redneck Rock)...who wants to listen to people singing in a false accent anyway? Reba Smackin' Tire comes to mind...she sounds like a complete fake.)

Last edited:
And I don't like Country (AKA, Redneck Rock)...who wants to listen to people singing in a false accent anyway? Reba Smackin' Tire comes to mind...she sounds like a complete fake.)

I like 90's country (such as Reba) a lot better than I like any of the trash on KMPS today. At this rate, they are just going to continue this losing battle of trying to emulate "The Wolf"

Last edited:
Click should go...now. KJR *950* is beating them! KOMO 1000 is beating them! Even KUBE is beating them! Talk about a frickin' embarrassment for Hubbard.
I would like for Hubbard to play around with the Soft AC/Easy format. Has been getting modest success in several markets and was introduced to Phoenix last August. 106.9 keeps sounding like "Kiss-FM Lite" and a Soft AC format may get some ex-106.9 listeners who are sick of Bruno Mars, Katy Perry, Adele and Meghan Trainor.
No country - KKWF is already #1, KMPS is failing and a new C/W would have no ratings change, if at all. Classic hits would do the same.

-crainbebo

The overall consensus is one that it is and has been a Factoria related issue as apposed to a St. Paul issue. St Paul just has made it worse. The bodies under the bus over the years have been piling up long before St. Paul came in. People who have been blind sided over the years all share the same story. Lydia Cruz's comments on her FB page speak to that as do Jackie's - Daryl Summers same story. Will Johnson same story. Laura, same exact story. Can't speak for Mark Christopher or Matt Case but I bet if you ask them the it's the same story. Other GM's and fellow PD's all know the track record and off the record all will say that there is one common denominator. You can't trust the decision maker(s) - With the latest book that came out: please NOBODY cares about 12+ or the "public ratings" ha - lol - Country would be a better bet than Click going classic hits. You may not like what KJR is playing but if you dig a little deeper one will see folks over at iHeart must be pretty happy about how things are going. Click wishes they had those numbers, or any for that matter. KMPS is a sad and in need of something.

Click should go...now. KJR *950* is beating them! KOMO 1000 is beating them! Even KUBE is beating them! Talk about a frickin' embarrassment for Hubbard.
I would like for Hubbard to play around with the Soft AC/Easy format. Has been getting modest success in several markets and was introduced to Phoenix last August. 106.9 keeps sounding like "Kiss-FM Lite" and a Soft AC format may get some ex-106.9 listeners who are sick of Bruno Mars, Katy Perry, Adele and Meghan Trainor.
No country - KKWF is already #1, KMPS is failing and a new C/W would have no ratings change, if at all. Classic hits would do the same.

-crainbebo

Listeners in this day and age seem like the type of AC that you can hear on KRWM. That's why it's impossible to find station like "warm" anywhere in the US that features the type of soft playlist you speak of. Not saying its a terrible idea, but I personally don't think it would ever happen on a full market Seattle station.

As for country, you certainly cannot discount its popularity in the Seattle area. Having said that, I would imagine that listeners who live in the out-skirt areas probably would prefer a more localized station (such as KYYO in the south sound). I have no interest in modern country, but Fitz is a fantastic personality and I find myself tuning into KKWF at times just because he is an excellent entertainer.

Last edited:
It all starts with a solid morning show. Classic hits, oldies appear to be the place lacking. Warm is no longer the soft AC it was. The AC and CHR formats are crowded here. A good music based Rock station could gain traction as KISW is more like a talk station. Something along the lines of the former KXRX. Not easy to just change formats. But you're all right to say KLCK is not happening.(clicking) If I was trying to revive a country station 1st call I would make is to Ichabod. He was a pillar at KMPS, it's gone straight down the #### tube since. Blunders abound. T man for KUBE another. Mornings, mornings, mornings! Promotion, promotion too!

Not that I have an opinion either way, but it is interesting how the solution for everything here always amounts to turning back the clock.

Last edited:
The fact that KMPS is promoting itself as the Northwest's new country leader baffles me. Also, why is KBKS calling itself Seattle's #1 hit music station? Both stations are being beaten by significant margins. I'm not opposed to taking either KRWM or KLCK in a similar direction to WRMM in Rochester, not a bad station, sampled for the first time last night. The only issue is if they do that to 98.9, then Warm needs to go. If they do tweak Warm in that direction, then yes, 98.9 should go either rock or some other format. I've really never understood why, when both KZOK and KISW are top 10 and most of time top 5 book after book, why they have never had a serious challenger, yet every time I turn around there's a new CHR, Hot AC, or country.

Not that I have an opinion either way, but it is interesting how the solution for everything here always amounts to turning back the clock.

Apparently, no *new* ideas seem to be coming from anywhere. But dredging up another tired classic rock format, calling it "The Eagle" (in a nation FILLED with other classic rock radio stations that call themselves "The Eagle"), is about as innovative as calling a Hot AC station "Mix".

Tech has changed that. These "heard one, you've heard them all" monikers applied to stale formats have long become an embarrassing radio industry cliche. Radio is no longer separated purely by geographic distance. Most stations have online feeds, but more often than not parrot what the stations in another market are doing.

That said, KLCK-FM had some promise. I actually listened for a while at the beginning. I believe one of the original ideas I read in the P-I or something online when it was launched was to eventually make it accessible to local and indie music, a commercial version of KEXP if you will. What happened to that idea?

But there were problems from the get go. First, they started out alternative (and a super tight playlist, burned me out for life on "Sex On Fire" Kings of Leon and "Kids" MGMT in the first 72 hours!) and a couple months later, swung to Hot AC (Kelly Clarkson?), then swung back to alternative, and back to Hot AC. It's like a country station that swings classical. That's how wide the gap is between alternative and Hot AC is. So of course no one is going to know what to make of them.

So perhaps maybe rediscovering things that actually DID work and fewer gimmicks may be what's in order. I personally don't know anymore. I've long given up imagining anything for radio because nothing you can propose will ever work. Go ahead, toss up a new format idea and see how fast it gets shot down on this board.

But a classic rock station called "The Eagle" - WOW! GENIUS!!

Whatever....

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom