• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

survey for March 2015 is out.

KKLA-FM, a religious format station, tops the plummeting KABC and KPFK beats out "the beast" KFWB?

Who woulda ever thunk!

Meanwhile IHeart has the top three slots and shares honors of four in the top ten with CBS. KFI continues supreme on the AM dial, which should surprise no one. In sports KSPN still beats KLAC despite the latter's stronger dial position.. But the surprise to me is the continued ratings strength of non-commercial KPCC. They do do an excellent job.

Classic rocker KSWD is up to 3.9.

And we now know that most of the listeners from the former Hot 92.3 FM.
Went to KTWV 94.7 it's up to 3.5, it's best showing in years.

KLOS, remains flat at 2.0 for the 3rd month in a row.

I'm sure KSWD, and is some ways KRTH, are affecting KLOS, and their overall ratings.

And yes KPWR got spanked.

Not a surprise. There is always going to be an initial period after a major change like 92.3 when a lot of listeners will sample the new offering. Given the amount of media coverage this particular format change got, I would be surprised if there are any Power 106 listeners haven't listened to Real 92.3 at least several times since the flip.

Before we declare "spanked" we need to watch this over several ratings periods. If iHeart calculated well, the move of Big Boy will keep a lot of the new listeners, but it is also going to be up to them to program a music mix those listeners like or they'll go right back to 105.9 after the morning show.

I'm going to want to see where things are two, four, six months, perhaps a year from now ... and I'm going to want to see the target demographic ratings, not the 6+ numbers (which are only a rough indication of how a station is doing, as I hope you all know by now).

David should be here any minute to expand on the situation, in-demo.

And we now know that most of the listeners from the former Hot 92.3 FM.
Went to KTWV 94.7 it's up to 3.5, it's best showing in years.

I don't think so. The March numbers show only a moderate increase in cume in 25-54 and a 25% increase in Time Spent Listening. That means that they not only got a few new listeners new listeners (equal to only around 10% of what the Hot cume had been) while the amount of listening increased considerably.

What that indicates is an improvement in the listenability of the station, causing existing listeners to tune in more times a week. The cume increase could just as easily be the product of listeners who were less satisfied with the station returning to a better delivery of the format and its music.

All smooth jazz has been dropped. That may have been a key factor.

That alone would likely be the main reason for the TSL and overall ratings increase. It's just better service for today's core.

That alone would likely be the main reason for the TSL and overall ratings increase. It's just better service for today's core.

Unfortunately, that is true. A lot of good music is simply going to go by the wayside because if it isn't hip-hop, hard core rap, or hot hits in either Spanish or English, today's "core demo" (particularly in the larger markets) are generally just not that interested.

I know, I know, the overall ratings for sports stations do not matter much...but I wonder why KLAA had only a 0.1 share (tied for 41st with KFWB) in Los Angeles but has a 0.4 share in Riverside-San Bernardino. And KLVE is the only top-ten Los Angeles station to appear in the Riverside-San Bernardino ratings. David or K.M. will have to explain that. Do stations have to pay a fee for each radio market they want to be included in?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom