• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WIBC/Indianapolis to drop Limbaugh

Effective July 3rd according to a press release from Market Manager Charlie Morgan.

http://www.wibc.com/rush-limbaugh-feedback

(It kind of looks like this was actually posted to the staton's web site from ALL ACCESS... with all the THINGS being CAPITALIZED)

That's a significant affiliate loss for him. I think he's been there since he went national, but when they went from FM to AM, it became less of the 'Indiana-wide' Limbaugh resource.

They are soliciting specific feedback, so this may not be a done deal if enough people complain.

Interesting that they're soliciting comments. This could be a stunt. Otherwise he'll just end up somewhere else.

They are soliciting specific feedback, so this may not be a done deal if enough people complain.

Very odd that they would solicit feedback on such a thing, since they have to already know that they're going to be flooded with complaints from his cult-like followers. We're talking about a core audience that would complain if his show is even interrupted to report a local tornado warning. lol

Looks like iHeart will carry Rush in Indy on WNDE-AM with a translator at 97.5 FM. This station will then be a mix of talk and sports.

http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/a...limbaugh-s-new-indianapolis-affiliate-is-wnde

In Boston, the speculation is that Salem, which is acquiring WMKI from Radio Disney, having sold it to Radio Disney in 1997, will carry Rush there as his new Boston affiliate. I have to believe this will be a great business deal for Salem which is getting the station back for 1/10 of what it sold it for 18 years ago.

http://bostonradiowatch.blogspot.com/2015/06/radio-disney-is-selling-its-boston.html?m=0

I found the following commentary to be particularly insightful on the shift in Rush's affiliates in Indianapolis:

http://www.ibj.com/articles/52780-morris-wibc-limbaugh-decision-a-tough-one

Last edited:
Morris writes as though WIBC is making this decision in a vacuum and that Rush will sail on unaffected elsewhere.

I'm sure other stations are just as aware that they'd better prepare for the future. As more affiliates drop the show, the pace will quicken and the ultimate implosion where Rush fades into minor market syndication and podcasting may happen sooner than later.

As more affiliates drop the show, the pace will quicken and the ultimate implosion where Rush fades into minor market syndication and podcasting may happen sooner than later.

Maybe, maybe not. His syndicator owns over 800 radio stations, and they seem to be picking him up in markets where he's available.

The only question is whether it's a self-preservation move on the part of IHeart or not. Do they still want Rush, or can they not afford to let his show not air in major markets? I don't think anybody other than some of the top brass in Texas knows.

I'm sure they would have to rebate money for the national spots Premiere sold if the show doesn't clear in the major markets. It's not like the FSR content that was airing on Rush's new Indy station was garnering great ratings, and this will drive new ears to that station some of whom may stick around. Rush will almost certainly get less money on his next contract, but I see him staying until at least 2018 so he can mark 30 years on his national show.

The only question is whether it's a self-preservation move on the part of IHeart or not. Do they still want Rush, or can they not afford to let his show not air in major markets? I don't think anybody other than some of the top brass in Texas knows.

He still has more listeners than anyone else. He still makes them a ton of money. He's still the talk show host of record. Of course they want him. Maybe they don't want him to the tune of $80 million a year, but they want him.

TV people who are doing well and presumably making money for their employers are often put out to pasture because someone has an eye on the future. Larry King and Lou Rukeyser are two examples, and neither was phoning it in the way Rush is.

Radio management either doesn't have the vision or the guts to make that kind of decision.

TV people who are doing well and presumably making money for their employers are often put out to pasture because someone has an eye on the future. Larry King and Lou Rukeyser are two examples, and neither was phoning it in the way Rush is.

Radio management either doesn't have the vision or the guts to make that kind of decision.

I don't think it's gutsy to get rid of your top earning talent if he's still making you money. It's stupid.

There is no one else that can make the company that kind of money. No one. I know people around here don't want to hear that, but it's the truth. Rush makes a lot of stations a lot of money. As long as he wants to do radio, he will be on those 600 stations.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom