• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

TVLAND totally clueless

TVLAND is totally clueless. All day today 9AM-5PM they ran a marathon of the sitcom REBA. Occasionally in the bottom left corner of the screen it would pop up "WE LOVE REBA CMT Take-Over Next Weekend." Then during every other commercial break a promo would air "WE LOVE REBA CMT Take-Over" TODAY. ------ The REBA CMT Take-Over is supposed to be Reba playing her favorite videos on the network, hosting the CMT Top 20 Countdown, and presenting episodes of her sitcom.

So, what's the matter? They're cross-promoting CMT on TV Land?

As I read the OP's post, TVLand did a pop-up during programming that the CMT special programming was next weekend, but the promos that ran in breaks said it was today. Both can't be right.

Even still, things happen. I don't know that it warrants such a seemingly irate response. It's an amusing misstep, if indeed it was a matter of next weekend vs today. Not to say someone won't hear about it on the job, but all of us are human. All of us make a misstep at some point.

Ah. I thought the takeover being promoted for "TODAY" was referring to TV Land, not CMT.

TV Land has been clueless for over a decade now. Ever since they increased commercials, added movies/reality shows and got rid of their "Retromercials," they've gone down to a shell of their old self. I have 4 VHS tapes in my dozens of prerecorded cassettes that are chock full of TV Land circa 1999 - shows like I Dream of Jeannie, Petticoat Junction, Adam-12, Rhoda, and even Flip - with commercials and those classic retromercials. I will NEVER get rid of them. Those were the good ol days.

-crainbebo

From CMT:

“CMT We Love Reba Takeover Weekend” Set for April 18-19

In celebration of Reba McEntire’s new album, Love Somebody, CMT is turning over its screens beginning April 18 for “CMT We Love Reba Takeover."

------------

BTW I'm hearing that changes are coming for TV Land. I wouldn't be surprised if all the 60s and 70s shows go away.

I've already seen ads for new original shows coming soon. The few shows I'd still actually still want to watch on TV Land now are on Netflix (Mainly Andy Griffith and Everybody Loves Raymond) except for King of Queens (which I hope is coming). As bad as I've thought TV Land has gone downhill over the years, I still used to find some favorites to watch, but now there's almost nothing. They've lost me to Antenna TV, Me TV (when I can get it) and Netflix. :mad:

Last edited:
TV Land has been clueless for over a decade now. Ever since they increased commercials, added movies/reality shows and got rid of their "Retromercials," they've gone down to a shell of their old self. I have 4 VHS tapes in my dozens of prerecorded cassettes that are chock full of TV Land circa 1999 - shows like I Dream of Jeannie, Petticoat Junction, Adam-12, Rhoda, and even Flip - with commercials and those classic retromercials. I will NEVER get rid of them. Those were the good ol days.

TVLand is just doing what they need to do in order to remain commercially viable. It's all about having a median age viewer of 45, just as that is the center of oldies-formatted radio stations. Today's 45-year-old was born in 1970, and probably best remembers television shows that aired from 1988 to 2000. In terms of sitcoms -- since that's what TVLand concentrates on -- that's Roseanne, Cheers, The Cosby Show, Murphy Brown, Designing Women, Home Improvement, Coach, Frasier, Seinfeld, ER, Friends.

Most of those shows on your cassettes have moved over to the Antenna/Me/Retro/Cozi group of channels now anyway.

TVLand is just doing what they need to do in order to remain commercially viable. It's all about having a median age viewer of 45, just as that is the center of oldies-formatted radio stations. Today's 45-year-old was born in 1970, and probably best remembers television shows that aired from 1988 to 2000. In terms of sitcoms -- since that's what TVLand concentrates on -- that's Roseanne, Cheers, The Cosby Show, Murphy Brown, Designing Women, Home Improvement, Coach, Frasier, Seinfeld, ER, Friends.

Most of those shows on your cassettes have moved over to the Antenna/Me/Retro/Cozi group of channels now anyway.

Unfortunately a lot of what you've mentioned are either no longer on TV Land (Cheers, The Cosby Show, Murphy Brown, Designing Women, Home Improvement, Coach), and I'd still like it if they were still on there. Some were never there in the first place (Frasier, Seinfeld, ER). About the only ones you mentioned that are still on TV Land are Roseanne and Friends. My biggest complaint though is about the overkill of advertising and the addition of too many original and reality shows.

Sometimes I get the impression that TV Land may be repositioning themselves as another general interest network like WGN, TBS, and USA have become.

Sometimes I get the impression that TV Land may be repositioning themselves as another general interest network like WGN, TBS, and USA have become.

The rights fees for the older shows have increased over the years. The increased demand has caused the price to go up. There are more commercials to cover the increased costs. So the thinking is to drop those shows and replace them with shows that they own, so they don't have to pay rights fees.

Unfortunately a lot of what you've mentioned are either no longer on TV Land (Cheers, The Cosby Show, Murphy Brown, Designing Women, Home Improvement, Coach), and I'd still like it if they were still on there. Some were never there in the first place (Frasier, Seinfeld, ER). About the only ones you mentioned that are still on TV Land are Roseanne and Friends.

Is it obvious I haven't watched that channel in quite a while?

My biggest complaint though is about the overkill of advertising and the addition of too many original and reality shows.

Ironically, the only TVLand show I've been watching in recent years is Hot In Cleveland, which falls into the category above.

Is it obvious I haven't watched that channel in quite a while?

Ironically, the only TVLand show I've been watching in recent years is Hot In Cleveland, which falls into the category above.

Hot in Cleveland may be the one exception. Most of TV Land's other original shows have been duds.

A few years back TV Land had High School Reunion and The Big 4-0 among other reality shows and I wouldn't put it past them to do it again/

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom