• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

100.3 to 105.5

AMRocks

Star Participant
The translator that iHeart was using at 100.3 licensed to Tamarac is moving to 105.5. How can this be?

I know the reason they had to turn it off on 100.3 was because of the interference problems it caused WLML. But that station BARELY comes in outside of Palm Beach County.

Now, iHeart is moving it to 105.5 according the radio-locator. But won't that cause problems with Kool 105.5 in West Palm? I can pick up Kool sometimes in my car already.

WOLL is licensed to Hobe Sound. While it has a powerful signal, it is strongest in northern Palm Beach County and in the southern Treasure Coast. Nonetheless, you are correct. WOLL is audible in much of Broward. I've been able to pick it up in Tamarac. You're also right that it has a better signal in Broward than WLML.

There are at least three factors that make the situations different on the two frequencies.

1. The new translator on 105.5 is quite directional, sending very little power to the north. It is strong in Hollywood, spotty in Ft. L. and doesn't even significantly interfere with WOLL in Pompano Beach. Where it does interfere, WOLL was already taking interference from the full-power 105.5 WWWK down in the Keys.

2. To the extent that WOLL's coverage is reduced, it is well outside their market. The station serves and sells in Palm Beach and Martin counties. By the time one gets anywhere near Palm Beach county, the translator has no effect at all on their signal. The 100.3 translator was taking out WLML's signal in much of Boca Raton and making it marginal in parts of Delray Beach, both of which are critical to the success of a Palm Beach county station serving its demographics.

3. Similarly to #2 above, WLML's format is, in this era, a niche or specialty broadcast. Such a station is much more likely to have listeners in its fringe coverage. If WOLL doesn't come in well, switching to 102.7, possibly 105.9 or 101.5 will likely satisfy the listener. WLML is the only station of its type in the area, and very good one!

...Sam Brown

The translator that iHeart was using at 100.3 licensed to Tamarac is moving to 105.5. How can this be?

I know the reason they had to turn it off on 100.3 was because of the interference problems it caused WLML. But that station BARELY comes in outside of Palm Beach County.

Now, iHeart is moving it to 105.5 according the radio-locator. But won't that cause problems with Kool 105.5 in West Palm? I can pick up Kool sometimes in my car already.

First, to get up to speed or refresh memories on WLML's journey, read this old thread at Radio Discussions 100.3 in West Palm Beach.

Poor Dick Robinson. First, he had the interference issues from IHeart's 100.3 (Calvary Chapel) translator used to rebrand WIOD 610, which he got shut down. Now, he's fighting off another, NEW station intruding on his signal, again. Was over on the Legends Radio webpage today and was reading the "Interference" section.

He put a shout out to listeners in Southern Palm Beach County, Delray Beach, Deerfield Beach, Hillsboro Beach, Highland Beach, and Boca Raton areas, including mobile listeners who listen on I-95 between Exit 48 [intersection with SR 794/Yamato Rd] and Exit 39 [intersection with SR 834/Sample Rd] to write to the FCC or to the station if you listen in those areas, so he can show this "new" station will cause interference.

He states WLML has learned someone filed an application to be on 100.3 (Channel 262).

At, first, I thought he was speaking of WQNB-LP 100.3 (Licensee: BEWARE INC.). They were set for 103.1 (Channel 276), but got a modification granted on 08/25/2016 to move to 100.3. No way that could interfer . . . to far south . . . .

And its not 100.3 FM 100w WJTW-LP Jupiter, because they moved to 103.9/100w with new calls WJUP-LP . . . not sure if Robinson filed the papers to cause that move from 100.3 to 103.9. Probably did, because it was only 11 miles north.

Turns out, Robinson is referring to W262AE (100.3 FM/262/250w WEST PALM BEACH, FL at Latitude 26.68167 Longitude -80.19778) owned by FAMILY STATIONS, INC (Family Radio website). W262AE is out on Southern Blvd. and U.S 441 (9405 Southern Blvd to be exact) near the Perfect Vodka Amphitheatre, which is about 18 miles south of the Lake Park C.O.L for WLML.

Family Radio is the home for Harold Camping, who makes headlines for his "predictions" as to when the Rapture was coming. According to him, the world was "orginally" going to end in 1994. That "time" has changed several times over the years . . . .

Too many 100.3s. Darn translators and LPFMs messing with full service stations. Keep fighting the good fight, Mr. Robinson, to keep live and local radio that serves its community, alive! We're with you!

Last edited:
I never understood why WIOD could not just knock a deep hole in their old translator on 100.3's signal to the north...
unless their main purpose for it was to to serve south-central Broward county, and they did not care about northern Dade county.

Turns out, Robinson is referring to W262AE (100.3 FM/262/250w WEST PALM BEACH, FL at Latitude 26.68167 Longitude -80.19778) owned by FAMILY STATIONS, INC (Family Radio website). W262AE is out on Southern Blvd. and U.S 441 (9405 Southern Blvd to be exact) near the Perfect Vodka Amphitheatre, which is about 18 miles south of the Lake Park C.O.L for WLML.

According to the FCC database W262AE became W284CR (104.7 FM) back in 2015 and the most recent modification to the facility was granted in 2016. If the old signal is still on the air then they're operating in violation of numerous FCC regs. Interference from another full power station seems unlikely since the closest ones on channel 262 are in Orlando and Plantation Key. If you have the occasion, try punching up 100.1 or 100.5 FM in the areas where interference is being reported and don't be surprised to find a pirate station on either one. Could also be a pirate on 100.3 as well. If Robinson is aware of someone filing for a CP and/or license on 100.3 then the FCC sure isn't!

I never understood why WIOD could not just knock a deep hole in their old translator on 100.3's signal to the north...
unless their main purpose for it was to to serve south-central Broward county, and they did not care about northern Dade county.

They most likely had a Broward audience in mind but probably saw no significant boost from putting the station on FM. In fact, they could have easily put WIOD on 93.5 in both counties had they thought it to be worthwhile but they went younger and put Revolution on 93.5 in Broward and parked The Bull on 104.7 just so they could clear Bobby Bones in Miami/Fort Lauderdale and keep Kiss FM from getting him.

Last edited:
...parked The Bull on 104.7 just so they could clear Bobby Bones...keep Kiss FM from getting him.
How is a directional translator going to keep a popular format from climbing onto a full power class C0 station, if they want it/him?

How is a directional translator going to keep a popular format from climbing onto a full power class C0 station, if they want it/him?
Techically, Bobby Bones is on WMIA-HD2 which just happens to be on a FM translator as well. iHeart syndicates the show via their own Premiere Radio Networks so they have an interest in keeping him off a station owned by a competitor, even a popular one that would be a natural fit for the show. I don't know how well Kenny Walker does in the mornings on Kiss (likely better than Bobby Bones given the limited signal) but were Bobby not locked down in the market would CBS still take a pass on his show? The cynic in me says they would not especially if it meant saving a salary or two at Kiss. I'm just speculating, of course, and for all I know, iHeart could actually be making money off his show even though it's on a translator.

Kenny Walker is now on 102.7 The Beach...

Techically, Bobby Bones is on WMIA-HD2 which just happens to be on a FM translator as well. iHeart syndicates the show via their own Premiere Radio Networks so they have an interest in keeping him off a station owned by a competitor, even a popular one that would be a natural fit for the show. I don't know how well Kenny Walker does in the mornings on Kiss (likely better than Bobby Bones given the limited signal) but were Bobby not locked down in the market would CBS still take a pass on his show? The cynic in me says they would not especially if it meant saving a salary or two at Kiss. I'm just speculating, of course, and for all I know, iHeart could actually be making money off his show even though it's on a translator.

According to the FCC database W262AE became W284CR (104.7 FM) back in 2015 and the most recent modification to the facility was granted in 2016. If the old signal is still on the air then they're operating in violation of numerous FCC regs. Interference from another full power station seems unlikely since the closest ones on channel 262 are in Orlando and Plantation Key. If you have the occasion, try punching up 100.1 or 100.5 FM in the areas where interference is being reported and don't be surprised to find a pirate station on either one. Could also be a pirate on 100.3 as well. If Robinson is aware of someone filing for a CP and/or license on 100.3 then the FCC sure isn't!

Turns out . . . it's not a "100.3" Robinson is in a twist over . . . . Its a translator at W223CB 92.5 / W228DO 93.5 (discussed in depth on the 1400 Going Going Gone thread because, it was intended to be a translator for 1400 WFLL).

(...it was intended to be a translator for 1400 WFLL).
Why would the commission not laugh off a claim that a translator 93½ could interfere with a station on 100⅓ and fine the guy for being a nuisance?
92½ would be at an IF spacing frequency below 100⅓, but waaaay to far away to be of any concern.

Just for the heck of it I looked into what became of the move of W262AN to 105.5 and it looks as though Reach FM got it licensed as W288DD also to Tamarac back in 2015. It now carries Christian programming from Edgewater Broadcasting via WZTU 94.9 HD-2. I'm guessing Edgewater is leasing the HD signal from iHeart in order to feed W288DD along with W233AP 94.5 in Oakland Park. The programming originates from WLOG FM in Markleysburg, Pennsylvania.

Why would the commission not laugh off a claim that a translator 93½ could interfere with a station on 100⅓ and fine the guy for being a nuisance?
92½ would be at an IF spacing frequency below 100⅓, but waaaay to far away to be of any concern.

Exactly, ai4i! I agree. Robinson, who was (once) admirable in protecting his Class A station by getting rid of two translators at 100.3 is NOW being a nuisance and should be fined as result. Now it seems Robinson is just arbitrarily filing complaints for ANY translator that falls into the southern most distant and fringe coverage areas for WLML.

I can see shutting down 100.3 W262AE and forcing it to become W284CR 104.7 FM . . . and W262AE (100.3 FM/262) on Southern Blvd. and U.S 441, 18 miles south of the Lake Park C.O.L for WLML. Even IF it was a translator at 100.1 or 100.5 . . . (too lazy to look see any translator activities on those two frequencies) or EVEN a pirate on either of those frequencies or on 100.3, I could understand the concerns.

But we are talking about

W223CB at 92.5
W228DO at 93.5

There are other translators "waaaay" closer to 100.3 . . . .

Look at WSBR 740's (2) translators . . . both clear & audible in the North Broward/South Palm area that concerns Robinson . . . the same area Robinson references on the "Interference" page on WLML's website, that is, "Southern Palm Beach County, Delray Beach, Deerfield Beach, Hillsboro Beach, Highland Beach, and Boca Raton areas, including mobile listeners who listen on I-95 between Exit 48 [intersection with SR 794/Yamato Rd] and Exit 39 [intersection with SR 834/Sample Rd]." (NOTE, now that Robinson was successful, it seems, in knocking off the WFLL translator, that "Interference" tab/page has been deleted from the WLML website).

W245BC 96.9 FM Lauderdale Lakes, FL (250 watts)
W280DU 103.9 FM Boca Raton, FL (250 watts)

Look at WPBR 1340's (4) translators. Two of which, audible in the same area . . .

W241AX 96.1 FM Boca Raton, FL (250 watts)
W248CK 97.5 FM Twentymile Bend, FL (99 watts)

And WWNN 1470 has (1) translator. Again, clearly audible in the same area . . .

W237BD 95.3 FM Boca Raton, FL (250 watts)

96.1, 96.9, 97.5, and 103.9 are CLOSER to 100.3 that either 92.5 OR 93.5. Why is Robinson NOT concerned with those other four CLOSER frequencies, but overly concerned about WFLL 1400/Jorgensen's want of translator at 93.5 that's FURTHER AWAY from 100.3. It makes no sense. It's fishy.

Is there bad blood between Jorgensen and Robinson? Is Robinson concerned with "competition," that Jorgenson would, with an FM translator, rebrand WFLL 1400 and make it a music station with "Classic Stanards" or "Oldies" and cutting into Robinson's Southern Palm/North Broward "audience" in WLML's "distant/fringe" coverage.

What ever it is, it stinks. Jorgensen is breaking his back in resurrecting four dead radio stations, two ground down to less than stick value by JCR. Jorgensen is serving the public interest and being a good steward to those stations. WFLL didn't even have a tower for god sakes. NOW it does, its on WEXY's stick, and it back on the air (intermittently) . . . and Chris Muse is doing a bang up job with the old JCR property in Dallas . . . and Jorgensen is responsible for saving that long dark station.

Now, Jorgensen has to deal with this non-sense from keeping WFLL acquiring a translator and raising from the dead and creating a local voice in Broward County. And for what, a dozen 65 plus people listening to scratchy crackling broadcast in the Southern Palm/North Broward distant/fringe area? Over some imagined or guess-amated "interference?" And that seems to be the case, as noted by this reply from Stangelove, over on the 1400 Going Going Gone thread.

According to the informal objection filed by Robinson this translator was originally going to be on WLML co-channel 262 (100.3 FM) and they used the emails from listeners who complained of interference from the W262AN (WIOD) translator in Tamarac as evidence of likely interference from the new translator which was accepted by the Commission. On Nov. 18 ACM was granted a permit modification for channel 228 (93.5, here we go again!) however the original underlying construction permit expired on 12/24/16. ACM had requested a 6 month extension of the CP deadline on Nov. 1 but I'm not finding any correspondence that indicates whether the request was granted or denied. It could still happen yet. Stay tuned!

As you can see WLML used the OLD emails from listeners regarding the WIDO W262AN/100.3 Tamarac translator as evidence of "likely" interference. (I can't find any correspondence indicating the request was denied or granted for that CP six-month extension on 228/93.5 either. Fingers crossed for Jorgensen! WFLL will raise from the dead!

Just for the heck of it I looked into what became of the move of W262AN to 105.5 and it looks as though Reach FM got it licensed as W288DD also to Tamarac back in 2015. It now carries Christian programming from Edgewater Broadcasting via WZTU 94.9 HD-2. I'm guessing Edgewater is leasing the HD signal from iHeart in order to feed W288DD along with W233AP 94.5 in Oakland Park. The programming originates from WLOG FM in Markleysburg, Pennsylvania.

Yeah, I was just reading about that WLOG FM 89.1 out of Markleyburg in one of the older thread(s) in here about their little "network" of translators they have in South Florida.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom