• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Steve Goddard gone from KOOL-FM

Virtually every time I read something discussing this subject there is always the observation that today's popular music is not up to the quality of years past. It is not my sole opinion but that of many others, some in the business and some outside. My point though is that it is a popular opinion.

Radio is between a rock and a hard place. Being an ad-supported industry it has to appease both its listeners and its advertisers. It appears to me it is having a very tough time doing both. And worse, there doesn't seem to be a solution on the horizon.

I'm right behind Landtuna age-wise (and live in the same area) and share these opinions. Most of the music I listen to now comes from CD's or an MP-3 player. I buy used CD's most of the time. Yes, I'm not supporting the artist of my last purchase, but last time I checked Glenn Miller was still dead...

Marshall McLuhan - he's the guy from Woody Allen's "Annie Hall," right?

Kinda, sorta. Without causing everyone to fall asleep like most do when reading a post from the Old Gringo, Professor McLuhan is best known for his thoughts on electronic media. "The medium is the message" really means the medium is the massage, provided it's cool - not to be confused with KOOL Listener Lauren, or her alter ego Lauren Reincarnated. A Hot medium is radio, but of late it hasn't been so hot in large measure due to consolidation and homogenization of content championed by the likes of Cumulus, I Heart Debt, CBS, and just about everyone else with the notable exception of Mother Hubbard. But allow the Nurse and me to digress as we attempt to waste as much bandwidth on this Cerebral Canadian (who probably considered CKLW The Big 8 both hot and cool at the same time) as we have with "A Day In The Life of a Lamptimer". zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Oh, excuse me. What was the question again?

Last edited:
The point is the landscape is quickly changing and listeners won't be using radio the way it's been used for decades. It's all about content and how it's delivered: over the air, streaming, web site, SiriusXM, I♥Radio, Pandora, etc. No longer are you bound to a handful of stations when you can cherry pick content from multiple sources all over the world. Marshall McLuhan's Global Village is finally a reality.

(this is assuming that my reply ever gets posted as another embedded video ad plays relentlessly.....)

Doc, I know the original post was back in April, but I'm just now seeing it for the first time. I'm just hoping that you didn't get behind the wheel of the Gremlin until this rare moment of lucidity passed!

Doc, I know the original post was back in April, but I'm just now seeing it for the first time. I'm just hoping that you didn't get behind the wheel of the Gremlin until this rare moment of lucidity passed!

Nurse Jeff does the driving...I sit in the back taking it all in. (memo to self: next vehicle must have a real back seat)

?..."The medium is the message" really means the medium is the massage, provided it's cool - not to be confused with KOOL Listener Lauren, or her alter ego Lauren Reincarnated...

Speaking of whom, what ever happened with Lauren? She used to post here regularly.

Interestingly enough, the whole "don't play anything before 1965" has marched on and become "don't play anything before 1970 except Brown Eye Girl" at KOOL FM.

A quick look at their playlist shows virtually no songs before 1970.

1970 was 45 years ago...making an 18 year old at that time now 63. Voilà - Los Buckeye Boyz have splained it in one sentence!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom