• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WOGL's Throwback Thursday

AM/FMRAINMAN

Frequent Participant
I was wondering if anyone noticed some of the great songs WOGL was playing yesterday. They were doing something called Throwback Thursday. Some of the songs they played were It Must Have Been Love by Roxette, Wild Wild West by The Escape Club, Baby Baby by Amy Grant, Morning Train by Sheena Easton, Kyrie by Mr. Mister, Ghostbusters by Ray Parker Jr,The Groove Line by Heatwave, If I Could Turn Back Time by Cher, Rosanna by Toto and Ride Like the Wind by Christopher Cross. Why can't they just play these songs in regular rotation on the station. It was really nice to hear these songs being played...but does it have to be on a Throwback Thursday. A lot of these songs are played on most classic hits stations. You could tell that the DJ's really seemed to be into playing these songs.

The smart-aleck in me asks if every day on an old....er, classic hits station wouldn't qualify as "throwback."

But, more seriously, the answer has to be in the testing. I mean, I don't go through and analyze playlists to see which song is spun how often compared to some other song, so for the sake of the illustraiton, I'll assume those tunes are on their lower end of the spin cycle. But if that's so, it's done for a reason.

just on Thursday, call the station 98 cau and actually play the hit songs that Philly was listening to on the legendary cau-fm in the 80s, the best radio station in the history of Philly radio. Hey I can dream, at least bring back that processing, they sounded so good back then.

Several of those songs I've seen pop up on other classic hits stations. Rosanna, Kyrie, Wild Wild West, If I Could Turn Back Time, Ride Like The Wind. Depends on the market and how well the song tests I'd imagine.

just on Thursday, call the station 98 cau and actually play the hit songs that Philly was listening to on the legendary cau-fm in the 80s, the best radio station in the history of Philly radio. Hey I can dream, at least bring back that processing, they sounded so good back then.

I could not agree more. 98 wcau fm hot hits was soo well run. I loved their radio jingles and promos. The DJ's were sooo top notch. I like Cadillac Jack on WOGL a lot...but every DJ on CAU was amazing...Barsky, Billy Burke, Terry "Motormouth" Young, Christie Springfield, Jefferson, Bill O'brien, Ted Kelly, Bob Garrett and Mike Frazer. I would love to see WOGL turn into CAU and hybrid Eagle 106.

I was wondering if anyone noticed some of the great songs WOGL was playing yesterday. They were doing something called Throwback Thursday. Some of the songs they played were It Must Have Been Love by Roxette, Wild Wild West by The Escape Club, Baby Baby by Amy Grant, Morning Train by Sheena Easton, Kyrie by Mr. Mister, Ghostbusters by Ray Parker Jr,The Groove Line by Heatwave, If I Could Turn Back Time by Cher, Rosanna by Toto and Ride Like the Wind by Christopher Cross. Why can't they just play these songs in regular rotation on the station. It was really nice to hear these songs being played...but does it have to be on a Throwback Thursday. A lot of these songs are played on most classic hits stations. You could tell that the DJ's really seemed to be into playing these songs.

It simply called having some fun and having some variety on your station, even if it's on one day or the weekend. Kudos to them.....and only them it seems!

Listening to them right now, they sound GOOD!

Last edited:
It simply called having some fun and having some variety on your station, even if it's on one day or the weekend. Kudos to them.....and only them it seems!

Listening to them right now, they sound GOOD!

It is the best time of the week to listen to the station lol. I am hoping if this is a hit, they might also do "Flashback Fridays." That is also popular on radio stations across the country. I would like them to play these songs regularly in their playlist. I think they would attract a bigger audience.

It is the best time of the week to listen to the station lol. I am hoping if this is a hit, they might also do "Flashback Fridays." That is also popular on radio stations across the country. I would like them to play these songs regularly in their playlist. I think they would attract a bigger audience.

Yeah it would. People love variety and something other-than-ordinary on the radio. WOGL is doing something right, that all classic hits stations should implement, beginning with that joke of a station in L.A., KRTH.

Also check out Super Hits 106, they do all number one songs every Thursday, from the 70's and 80's.

http://superhits106.com/

WOGL also has nice specialty weekends that other major market PD's refuse to do.

Last edited:
AM/[I said:
FMRAINMAN[/I];6041341]I could not agree more. 98 wcau fm hot hits was soo well run. I loved their radio jingles and promos. The DJ's were sooo top notch. I like Cadillac Jack on WOGL a lot...but every DJ on CAU was amazing...Barsky, Billy Burke, Terry "Motormouth" Young, Christie Springfield, Jefferson, Bill O'brien, Ted Kelly, Bob Garrett and Mike Frazer. I would love to see WOGL turn into CAU and hybrid Eagle 106.

Hot Hits was the creation of a consultant... Mike Joseph. Right down to the jingles, the process for determining which songs to play and approving the jocks and the on-air presentation. Mike also held the service mark on the Hot Hits name.

That joke in LA seems to be having the last laugh, however.

Yep. In the first 3 books of 2015, KRTH was 4th in 25-54, while WOGL was 9th.

In the key 35-44 demo, KRTH was 4th while WOGL was 12th.

Hot Hits was the creation of a consultant...

... who obviously was hell-bent on having the shortest playlist possible in order to satisfy his own personal feelings about playing as few songs as possible ...

I've been reading oldies76's posts too much. :eek:

Yep. In the first 3 books of 2015, KRTH was 4th in 25-54, while WOGL was 9th.

In the key 35-44 demo, KRTH was 4th while WOGL was 12th.

Different audiences....Either way, WOGL has a much better sounding and thorough playlist.

Maybe you'll learn something different.... :)

I doubt it. I already understand you a little too well, and you know I'm not going to jeopardize deposits to my bank account by programming your way.

Yeah that is true, but 98 was the best of the hot hits stations, mkr in Baltimore never came close to having the magic that cau had. By '85 they were playing hip hop too(and no longer consulted by Joseph), by no means were they as innovative musically as kzzp, the kzzp of the 80s was the single best top 40 music station ever programmed, they played the hits, not reacted too late as the chrs of today are playing burnt songs they should've been spinning in power months before when the audience was really into the songs.

98 was so good because of the jocks, if you know Philadelphians if ppm was around back then, 98 woud;ve been an 8 share station easily, they just didn't want to admit to listening to the so called "teen station".lol

As of today, amp is pretty decent musically, but the presentation is lacking. q102 is the worst of iheart's major market chrs. Listen to a half hour of q then a half hour of z100 and you can really tell the difference. DJ's too, Maxwell on q102 was nothing special, but on z100 the dude sounds fantastic. Same was true years ago with Chio, the Chio on z100 was top notch, in Philly he is not the same person.

Different audiences....Either way, WOGL has a much better sounding and thorough playlist.

You don't live in Philly, so you don't factor into their programming.

The PDs of the CBS classic hits stations compare notes, and if they find that OGL is leaving money on the table because of the music, then they will adjust the playlist accordingly. It's not about programming, it's about money.

Last edited:
Ben fm I think is why ogl is not as "current"(for lack of a better word) than cbs-fm is. While ogl does sound old, cbs-fm has played some really bad 90s songs. The 90s songs that anyone would really want to listen to are not right for cbs-fm.

The comparison is with KRTH, also owned by CBS. But WCBS gets better numbers than WOGL. So regardless of how "bad" the songs are, the audience doesn't feel they're that bad. But yes, having BEN in the same market probably affects the programming at OGL. BEN was an attempt to be like JACK, but without paying for the format.

It's not about programming, it's about money.

If you don't mind, A, I'm going to flip that statement slightly to make a point.

Programming is about making money, because radio is a business. It is not about entertaining every single person, it is about entertaining a majority of those who like a particular genre in music in order to keep them around when the commercials hit, and to have enough listeners in that majority to charge an advertising rate that turns a profit.

Despite what some (particularly a very vocal one) have said, the aforementioned majority audience members do not miss the songs that aren't played. If what they hear are songs they like, it doesn't matter what they didn't hear. In fact, they don't even mind the repetition of songs they like ... because they like them.

You don't like hearing "Hotel California" or "Brown Eyed Girl" frequently? Well, that's your musical taste, and that's okay ... for you.* But you also obviously are not in the aforementioned majority, because if the masses also didn't like those songs, they'd stop testing well and we'd stop playing them. (Or, if were insane enough to act as some have suggested and keep playing those songs even though people hated them, the ratings would go down.)

It really is that simple, and there is never going to be a mass appeal station in a major rated market that caters to anything other than the majority audience opinion of music (as determined by research and testing), because a station that didn't cater to the majority would be leaving money on the table by not getting the majority to listen.

* - Oh, and ... before you start telling me about "everyone else I talk to doesn't like hearing them over and over either", until you and the "everyones" comprise more than 50% of the audience, I'm not swayed by the argument.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom