• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KNTB, KBRO, and KLDY off the air

Here's the latest, courtesy of ALL ACCESS:

SEATTLE STREAMING RADIO, LLC is selling Silent KBRO-A/BREMERTON, WA; KNTB-A/LAKEWOOD, WA; KLDY/LACEY, WA; and K221FJ/TACOMA, WA, until MARCH the ESPN DEPORTES SEATTLE simulcast, to IGLESIA PENTECOSTAL VISPERIA DEL FIN for $600,000 plus operational costs until closing ($13,500 payment for airtime during MAY, $10,000 plus estimated costs of $3,500 per month costs during pendency (to be credited to the total consideration), $60,000 at closing, $40,000 within 90 days of closing, $500,000 in a 3% per annum promissory note).

With the growth of radio being relatively flat and AM down, why would someone pay over a half a million for a couple out of town AM stations and a translator? What's that ad on TV say? Oh yes..."and some people are just stupid rich".

That's true I suppose. Maybe I'm naive to think that if you borrow money, you're on the hook for paying it back whether the business model is successful or no.

KBRO 1490 Bremerton is definitely back on the air -- I was in Seattle the other day and they went from ESPN Deportes, to silent, and now flipped to Regional Mexican. Unless KKMO or KTBK was bleeding in to the frequency, which I completely doubt it.
Did not check 1480 and 1280 is too weak.

-crainbebo

FWIW the last couple of times I've tuned into 1490 I've been hearing what sounds like Spanish religious programming, both spoken word and music w/ references to Dios and Jesus.

Just heard an ID for La Estacion De La Familia. So that's who has 1490 now. Not hearing anything but static on 1480 (it's on one of my best radios, so I'm sure there's nothing there on 1480).

Last edited:
La Estacion de la Familia has KLSY 93.7. Why do they need 1490 as well, which will have almost zero listeners? They seem like the Spanish version of EMF - taking over a dozen stations at a time for their religious programming. 1680 KNTS should be strong in Bremerton.

-crainbebo

La Estacion de la Familia has KLSY 93.7. Why do they need 1490 as well, which will have almost zero listeners? They seem like the Spanish version of EMF - taking over a dozen stations at a time for their religious programming. 1680 KNTS should be strong in Bremerton.

-crainbebo

They probably had to buy all three of the stations to get the ones they actually needed. At the low price with good terms, they may figure it is cheaper just to keep 1490.

1680 is Radio Luz Seattle, NOT La Estacion De La Familia.

Two separate companies. Estacion De La Familia is based out of White Center and has stations in Seattle (the FM Crainbebo mentioned, plus 1490 now in Bremerton), Portland (Gresham, actually), Mt. Vernon and an AM station in Pasco on 1560.

I know that. But Radio Luz also airs Spanish Religion programming and Christian music, and they have done it FAR longer than KLSY/KVAN/KBRO. Over 10 years, I believe. Surprisingly, the Hispanic population is less than 7% in the city of Seattle.

Surprisingly, the Hispanic population is less than 7% in the city of Seattle.

The Seattñe MSA is 9.6% Hispanic, and that is about 450,000 persons. That is as large a population as the US' 130th largest market!

If Mr. Eduardo's statistics are spot on, perhaps the majority of Hispanics are living in South King County. In South King County alone the population that's Hispanic seems much, much higher than 10%, and that's maybe an area of 800,000 people or more. It seems that they are 20-30% of the population, if not even higher.

I'm surprised one of the AM stations here in the Seattle metro hasn't gone Deportes or Spanish-speaking Catholic. I know KKMO carries the Sounders games in Spanish (the guys are more lively to hear than the dude on KIRO-FM).

And Crainbebo, I didn't mean to knock your opinion with my post.

But the way I see it, what other workable formats -- aside from Hispanic and other ethnic minority broadcasts -- are going to keep an AM station alive in this metro? Smooth jazz would be cool to hear, except it sounds much better on FM, and I'm guessing most smooth jazz people probably wouldn't tune it in.

There really aren't many alternatives for AM anymore.

There really aren't many alternatives for AM anymore.

Having spent a good chunk of Sunday afternoon sitting on I-90 in a dead stop...I was lamenting about how we have an entire AM band that no one can figure out how to use, and no viable, regional traffic outlets. I would LOVE to see about three AM channels devoted to the Dept. of Transportation (so regional signals don't step on each other) where they could play automated updates just like they post on the DOT traffic alerts web site. Stations like KOMO won't mention out-of-metro (unless it is huge, and then only in half-sentence detail) and stations like KRKO, KBRC won't DO traffic; so I guess we're supposed to take up Distracted Driving and try to read the 'net. In my case (West of Ellensburg) there was no accessible web for much of the traffic jam. Would be nice to know you could sample the DOT stations and have the info you need in the area where you might need it.

Having spent a good chunk of Sunday afternoon sitting on I-90 in a dead stop...I was lamenting about how we have an entire AM band that no one can figure out how to use, and no viable, regional traffic outlets. I would LOVE to see about three AM channels devoted to the Dept. of Transportation (so regional signals don't step on each other) where they could play automated updates just like they post on the DOT traffic alerts web site. Stations like KOMO won't mention out-of-metro (unless it is huge, and then only in half-sentence detail) and stations like KRKO, KBRC won't DO traffic; so I guess we're supposed to take up Distracted Driving and try to read the 'net. In my case (West of Ellensburg) there was no accessible web for much of the traffic jam. Would be nice to know you could sample the DOT stations and have the info you need in the area where you might need it.

We have TIS(Travelers Information Service)stations at each end of the AM dial in places where someone decided we need it. The problem is there aren't enough of those stations.

We have TIS(Travelers Information Service)stations at each end of the AM dial in places where someone decided we need it. The problem is there aren't enough of those stations.

...and they only fire up when needed (e.g. construction).
I'm thinking more like a loop all the time...even if to say "there are no reported problems North of Mount Vernon, North Cascades, or highway 20 as of 1:30pm. At least you KNOW everything is cool.

I am just frustrated that we HAVE the technology to broadcast and receive in every car....but decide it's more important to pump a God Translator or a 4th Sports station instead of info useful to those cars.

TIS is a joke. Signals are too weak to be received in advance of reaching problem areas and the information is rarely timely. With McCleary funding on the horizon and the other budget woes don't expect that situation to change.

Or you can see the whip antenna and not hear the TIS station.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom