• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Classic Rock, Strong as Ever

A study by researcher Mark Kassoff, in an article in Inside Radio, shows Classic Rock is still judged by its audience as being as good as it was decades ago.

http://www.insideradio.com/free/why...cle_ff5272ca-d83e-11e4-b682-874ad4b3d5cc.html

The article reminds us that Classic Rock recently scored its best numbers in recent PPM ratings. The article also shows most Classic Rock listeners believe the 1970s were the greatest decade for Rock music.

What's the best market for Classic Rock? I think that's Portland ME. In the recent ratings, WFNK Frank 107.5 was #1 and 102.9 WBLM The Blimp was #2 (both 100,000 watt stations). Frank is listed as Classic Hits but it's really a pop-leaning Classic Rock station... no Michael Jackson or Madonna, no jingles or fast-talking DJs. Much of its playlist is shared with The Blimp, except for some titles that never scored on the Top 40 charts that air on The Blimp but not Frank.

A study by researcher Mark Kassoff, in an article in Inside Radio, shows Classic Rock is still judged by its audience as being as good as it was decades ago.

Well, yeah. The same people listening to the same songs every day, still pretending the sixties ain't over. Big surprise.

Contrary to what people say here, the survey says that the regular listeners haven't tired of the repetition.

And once again, you have zero proof of such a wrong statement. Unless you ask each and every last one of them individually, YOU don't have a leg to stand on. Many, many people that listen to the radio complain about repetition.

Last edited:
The aforementioned WBLM has been playing their annual A to Z where they play their entire library in alphabetical order by song title. It started around Memorial Day and today June 20th they are on the “The’s”:

The Locomotion
The Logical Song
The Long Run
etc

Does any other classic rock station do this?

The alphabetical stunt was common 8 or 10 years ago. I'm not sure many stations still do it.

The article also shows most Classic Rock listeners believe the 1970s were the greatest decade for Rock music.

I don't think there is any disagreement about that although there was significant bleed-over into the early 80's.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom