• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WGHL IDing as *Shelbyville*?

I don't know if I'm just hearing it wrong or what, but I was listening to WGHL this morning and it sounded like they were IDing themselves as "WGHL Shelbyville/Louisville." I listened again for the next station ID and it sounded like the same thing again. They should be IDing as Shepherdsville, which is about 50 miles away from Shelbyville. Are they not even sure of their own city of license or am I just hearing it incorrectly?

I don't know if I'm just hearing it wrong or what, but I was listening to WGHL this morning and it sounded like they were IDing themselves as "WGHL Shelbyville/Louisville." I listened again for the next station ID and it sounded like the same thing again. They should be IDing as Shepherdsville, which is about 50 miles away from Shelbyville. Are they not even sure of their own city of license or am I just hearing it incorrectly?

You're right.Around noon I heard "WGHL Shelbyville/Louisville" Somebody doesn't know their geography :)
Here is the Radio-Locator page for WGHL:
http://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/finder?call=wghl&x=0&y=0&sr=Y&s=C

I wonder if the novelty of this station is wearing off yet. It got a lot of buzz initially and at the time I pointed out how narrow their playlist was (to which somebody responded that was just because they were stunting) but they still haven't grown their very small playlist. I don't think they can live off of old school hip hop forever if they're going to keep the playlist so narrow, maybe they need to expand to include R&B as well.

Actually, it looks like they not only have a morning show... they have actual people on the air 6 AM until 6 PM, and again 7 PM to midnight, and as far as I can tell, they're all local! Looks like at least some of them are club DJs from around town.

https://www.facebook.com/OldSchool1...6905010011/985991541412547/?type=1&permPage=1

6 AM-noon is "EZ in the Morning" (this should have been around when they were Easy Rock but I digress.... as far as I can tell, it looks like this guy is the only one with actual radio experience and did mornings on a Cumulus hip hop station elsewhere a few years ago, unless that was a different "EZ in the Morning")
noon-6 PM is DJ Q, a local club DJ
7-midnight is DJ Empty Beats, again, another local club DJ

This is a pretty good sign that they're at least giving this format a legitimate shot, something they haven't done with any of the post "New Rock 105.1" formats (they did sort of try with the "Everything that Rocks," but it was mostly just leftovers from "New Rock").

And yes, they're still IDing as "Shelbyville." I don't listen to the station much, but I'm guessing they've been IDing as Shelbyville all along... hopefully they'll get to fixing that, because I'm guessing they are technically not fulfilling their FCC obligation when giving the wrong city.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom