• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KWLE/KRPA Off The Air

Both stations are currently silent. I'm not sure when they left the air, but they were silent as of last Wednesday (last time I tuned in and this morning)

Both stations are currently silent. I'm not sure when they left the air, but they were silent as of last Wednesday (last time I tuned in and this morning)

Maybe someone forgot to pay the power bill.

Hold up, wasn't KWPA one of the radio stations forced off by the CRTC? Odd that KWLE is off. Did they switch formats or are they still eclectic AC?

Hold up, wasn't KWPA one of the radio stations forced off by the CRTC? Odd that KWLE is off. Did they switch formats or are they still eclectic AC?

KWLE and KRPA were simulcasting "The Whale" as of recent. I have to retract my earlier comment, as KRPA is no longer broadcasting programming directed at the Punjabi speaking community in BC (as it was forced off).

Does anyone know anything about the owners of KWLE radio?

Last edited:
Perhaps I can't keep up with call letter changes like I used to, but if KRPA is the daytimer on 1110 from Whidbey Island, wasn't it news just a few months ago that they were bought by the same person who bought the Anacortes AM on 1340? And there was speculation on this board, and/or the Puget Sound Radio one, that he might try to do South Asian programming, as he does with other stations he operates. The news with the new ownership was that programming on the Anacortes station would remain unchanged (for awhile) and Whidbey would simulcast it, no? With the same licensee, who somehow may be a Canadian with dual citizenship, it may be worth a look a few months back to get the name that I can't recall of the new licensee, and see what's happened to him.

From my original post (read it all HERE if you want):

I checked some documents and found that the primary stockholder of New Age is one Harinder Singh of Lexington, KY. The minority stockholder: Gurpal Garcha, the man running Radio Punjab, which already programs KRPA Oak Harbor, also being sold to New Age. That station recently relocated to Sharpe's Corner near Anacortes (for those not familiar, that's where SR20 turns off to Whidbey Island).

A further note: the Radio Punjab folks now operate a station in Hanford, CA. Since the CRTC won't allow them to program a US station with content from their Surrey home base my thinking is that they might be planning to send programming from their new California plant to KRPA and/or KWLE, locals be damned.

Shame.

UPDATE: NW Broadcasters reports tonight some kind of "power issue" has The Whale and the former KWDB sidelined.

Last edited:
From my original post (read it all HERE if you want):

A further note: the Radio Punjab folks now operate a station in Hanford, CA. Since the CRTC won't allow them to program a US station with content from their Surrey home base my thinking is that they might be planning to send programming from their new California plant to KRPA and/or KWLE, locals be damned.

Shame.

UPDATE: NW Broadcasters reports tonight some kind of "power issue" has The Whale and the former KWDB sidelined.

Sure, it can work if the programming originates from the US, but I have a hard time believing that anyone on the BC side of the border will be able to hear either of these stations. The signal quality probably would be 1/4th of its city grade reception, not to mention all of the electrical noise you get in a metro area.

KWLE works as a nice community station for the San Juans. Its too bad.

Last edited:
I have heard the Hanford, CA station late at night. It's KIGS 620, operating with 1000w. Used to be NBC Sports.
BTW, the Whale was a good station, but I hardly listened to it. And I'm stupid about not doing it. Sometimes AM formats can still be good.

Here in Yakima I listen to KYNR-1490 Toppenish more than I do the FMs at times! I love Yakama Nation Radio's eclectic format of 1950s-2000s music, local Indian chanting and PSAs for the Yakama Nation. No need to DX KTNN for Native American programming!

And I guarantee there are no more than 10 Punjabi/Indian citizens living in Anacortes or Oak Harbor. If that. What a waste. Just provides revenue to the Surrey, BC owners.

-crainbebo

Does anyone have any updates on the current situation with KVRI and KRPI? Obviously, 1340 and 1110 are not going to fill any sort of void in the Vancouver market.

Last edited:
... Recycling an old thread ....

I noticed KRPA has been absent for several days (while KWLE is still working.). Did KRPA finally get permission to resume construction on their big upgrade to beam into Canada?. (In 2020 the new tower segments were still on the ground in a pile but the new XMTR building had benn deployed...)

KRPA has now been gone for almost one month and KWLE is dead carrier today. I guess until the KRPA build-out is complete it's just easier to "spectrum-warehouse" the 1110 frequency, firing it up occasionally to remain legal. If the buildout does occur, the KWLE translator in Bellingham (K270CL) could likely switch primary to KRPA and the KWLE facility jettisoned is a cost-savings measure..

KRPA has now been gone for almost one month and KWLE is dead carrier today. I guess until the KRPA build-out is complete it's just easier to "spectrum-warehouse" the 1110 frequency, firing it up occasionally to remain legal. If the buildout does occur, the KWLE translator in Bellingham (K270CL) could likely switch primary to KRPA and the KWLE facility jettisoned is a cost-savings measure..
I asked someone directly involved in the KRPA project and their answer back on March 14th was that the DA build out would be done in a few weeks to a few months

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom