• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

News/Talk Morning Radio in and around NYC

wadio

Star Participant
Until a year ago there was always at least one morning show my wife and I found worth listening to on NY radio. Now we're stuck with a couple of shows that just don't cut it.

So I've been looking for something to stream that's hopefully entertaining and informative -- not just loud and overly cluttered -- and as local to Southern CT as possible. I tried WICC for a short time -- it seemed promising but after awhile how many contests and birthday shout-outs can you take? So on to WNYM (which I have to stream because the signal only barely reaches the CT border.) The guy in that chair barely knows what's going on outside his own personal world.

After a few more unsuccessful tries I've landed on New Jersey 101.5. At first I thought Jim Gearheart sounded a little generic, but lately I've really begun to enjoy him. The show's format is pretty basic -- it's Gearhart giving his take on stories of the day. Simple, uncluttered, no annoying schtick. NJ 101.5 apparently does quite well in the ratings. There seem to be plenty of ads.

The only negative for me is that the station isn't exactly local. But with all the emphasis recently on "live & local," I'd have to assess the importance of these elements in this order, at least to me:

1. Informative & Entertaining
  2. Uncluttered
  3. Live
  4. Local

If I could listen to a West Coast station's morning show at 6 am Eastern Time I might sample some of those, but Jim Gearhart is a good choice where 1, 2 and 3 are concerned and -- while not exactly local, close enough.

Last edited:
For laughs I listen to programs on WBAI .
is their studio now in Bellevue hospital ?

NYC talk radio especially in the morning is pathetic. NJ101.5 is a unique station in many ways, talk and info weekdays, music and info weekends. Political talk is minimal with lifestyle talk the rest of the time. Its a great alternative to the other talk stations and when the music stations become repetitive and boring i tune to nJ101.5. Jim Gearhart is a well seasoned professional who has hosted talk and music programs in both NYC and Phila. Dennis Malloy handles the 10am shift and is well versed as well. If the NYC stations weren't locked into syndication way of programing to boost the bottom line a live and local format would be successful in my opinion. NYC talk ratings continue to plummet, time for a station to be creative in the style of NJ101.5, an FM should make the move.

101.9 should have gone with a 101.5 format in 2011,instead of all news. If that was the case, we would be listening to that programming on 101.9 today,instead of wasting it with a simulcast of 660. Yes, I know spoken word programming will all be on FM sometime in the future.but it would sure be nice to have an alternative to all the syndicated fare in the afternoon. I guess we do with 101.5,but a city grade signal, like 101.9 would be nice.

NYC talk radio especially in the morning is pathetic. NJ101.5 is a unique station in many ways, talk and info weekdays, music and info weekends. Political talk is minimal with lifestyle talk the rest of the time. Its a great alternative to the other talk stations and when the music stations become repetitive and boring i tune to nJ101.5. Jim Gearhart is a well seasoned professional who has hosted talk and music programs in both NYC and Phila. Dennis Malloy handles the 10am shift and is well versed as well. If the NYC stations weren't locked into syndication way of programing to boost the bottom line a live and local format would be successful in my opinion. NYC talk ratings continue to plummet, time for a station to be creative in the style of NJ101.5, an FM should make the move.

You mean 101.5 is airing more lifestyle talk & has stopped slandering people?
maybe they got tired of paying legal fees.

I actually like the WNYM morning show. Piscopo is okay. You're right that he doesn't know anything but I do find him funny and positive, a welcome contrast to the rest of the angry talkers on AM radio. I also really like those guys that are with him in the morning.

Until a year ago there was always at least one morning show my wife and I found worth listening to on NY radio. Now we're stuck with a couple of shows that just don't cut it.

So I've been looking for something to stream that's hopefully entertaining and informative -- not just loud and overly cluttered -- and as local to Southern CT as possible. I tried WICC for a short time -- it seemed promising but after awhile how many contests and birthday shout-outs can you take? So on to WNYM (which I have to stream because the signal only barely reaches the CT border.) The guy in that chair barely knows what's going on outside his own personal world.

After a few more unsuccessful tries I've landed on New Jersey 101.5. At first I thought Jim Gearheart sounded a little generic, but lately I've really begun to enjoy him. The show's format is pretty basic -- it's Gearhart giving his take on stories of the day. Simple, uncluttered, no annoying schtick. NJ 101.5 apparently does quite well in the ratings. There seem to be plenty of ads.

The only negative for me is that the station isn't exactly local. But with all the emphasis recently on "live & local," I'd have to assess the importance of these elements in this order, at least to me:

1. Informative & Entertaining
  2. Uncluttered
  3. Live
  4. Local

If I could listen to a West Coast station's morning show at 6 am Eastern Time I might sample some of those, but Jim Gearhart is a good choice where 1, 2 and 3 are concerned and -- while not exactly local, close enough.

Piscopo is a one trick pony. And its a bad impersonation of Sinatra.

NJ 101.5 is an anomaly. For some reason the tired "read a 3 day old story off Facebook, beg for calls" works for them. Not sure why, because it rarely works elsewhere.

I never liked 101.5, and I'm a NJ resident. I don't like the microphone echo, and the hosts aren't as good as NY hosts.

from what I gather NJ 1015 has a lot of political talk. that's why I only listen to them on the weekend with big joe henry.

although I agree. they have gone WAY overboard with all the sponsors that I'm almost ready to stop listening because of it.

you can't sponsor a 2 second chime time jingle, but somehow they did it and it sounds terrible whereas before it used to be relaxing.

even my station of choice, cbs fm is only good for morning drive. they replay way too much of the same music tobother with during the rest of the day. sigh.

NJ politics is a mess with so many takers robbing the good tax paying private sector slaves of the state. NJ 1015 has found enough decent good people in this state filled with evil takers to get nice ratings and thus a good revenue stream.

I think that they go easy on the takers and their insane unfair pensions and benefits paid for by those of us who will never have such glutinous freebees, because there are just so many of 'Dem here and 1015 can get them to listen for the traffic reports.

I do agree that the reverb is just way too fatiguing to listen to. I like it on the music, but when it is talk it is just way too much.

NJ 1015 was making some major market money a few years ago, outbilling many Noo Yawk and Infidelphia stations. No reason to think that this has changed as their ratings are still going strong. Also, Jim the morning guy seems like a really great guy, he doesn't get overly political but what he has said proves that he does have good in his heart and not part of the camp who wishes harm against their fellow Americans for disagreeing with their views and beliefs(enemies who need to be punished as the Commander in Chief has stated).

Somebody should have linked to the station early in this thread.
I do agree that the reverb is just way too fatiguing to listen to. I like it on the music, but when it is talk it is just way too much.
So did I fifty years ago when all sorts of distortion techniques were in vogue.
For example, I know this song did not sound this horrible back then, but here is all we seem to have left of it: linQue.

Berman & Schnitt were the great windbags we waited a year to hear on WOR?
They offer nothing compelling. Neither do Bartlett or Simone . I--Heart Media owns WOR to air the Mets, Rush & Hannity.
And any other sports teams I--Heart can lure to am710.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom