• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Kscs

Why is KSCS playing Rihanna? She's not country!

The idea behind it is to ATTRACT MORE CUME! The thinking is, IF (as a listener) you leave the station (because of the POP song) you would go to The WOLF which the own as well. KSCS and KISS share about 42% of the same audience. Get use to more of it. they are doing it in NY at NASH as well.

I'm no radio nerd, but it just sounds confusing to me to hear multiple genres like that on a station (especially one which identifies as country). Why don't they save the pop for their pop stations, or flip one of their country stations if they want KSCS to do better?

Have you been to country concert lately? Luke Bryan sings Bruno Mars. The country audience LOVES music from other genres.

The lead singer of One Republic did a CMT Crossroads with Dierks Bentley last year, and he's very country. From Oklahoma, worked in Nashville, and loved country music.

How long have they been doing this?

KSCS ratings have gone down for the last few books. I'm sure the loss of Terry Dorsey has a lot to do with it, but is there more to this?

I was hoping a station like the Edge would play Rihanna and Kanye since they've been pop-leaning, but KSCS? Maybe that's a message that country will drop in favor of resurrecting the Top-40 format dropped from KLIF earlier.

Maybe that's a message that country will drop in favor of resurrecting the Top-40 format dropped from KLIF earlier.

The combined share of KSCS and KPLX gives Cumulus a much bigger number to sell. What they're doing is trying to distinguish one station from the other. In Nashville, where they also own two country stations, they have one doing current country, and the other doing their Icon format, with classics. It's more likely they'd do that in Dallas before they flip either station to a completely different format.

Good article by Sean Ross. I've sensed for some time that younger audiences don't see music strictly by genre. As this generation ages, we're likely to see radio stations defined less by musical genre and more by other factors. Music programmers already have access to the information they need to make these decisions, so it's not as hard as it seems.

Lew seems to think this is a new trend but there is a long history of pop songs moving to country. The classic country format includes select Bob Seger, Lionel Richie and others are sprinkled in the library. I have always contended listeners know good, bad and mediocre as their format choices. Familiar is a major draw here.

Fairytale by the Pointer Sisters, while country in style, is now on classic country playlists and they were the first African American act to perform at the Grand Old Opry.

There have been a great number of country hits crossing over to AC and top 40.

I think we will see more of this in coming years. I know from researching older demographics for a small market, format definitions frequently cross. It seems familiar is the key over the defined format. Naturally you can't train wreck things but the variety people seem to enjoy is rather eyeopening. Take a look at the playlist at KPBA in Austin's playlist on their website.

Indeed this isn't a new trend at all. When I started out in the mid 80s, we were running a format called Crossover Country from what was then Century21 Programming. The format consisted of country songs with pop mixed in.

R

I get the country crossovers to hot ac and ac, even the rare case to chr, even if they have to be "fixed" to work.

....but country is a very selective format, even listeners who spend time with other formats just expect to hear country and only country when they hit the country station. Chr and Ac are mass appeal formats that are known for the variety of sounds they give you, but country is expect to stay true to its niche.

The exception is only when a high profile artist or group like Bon Jovi do a song that clearly has a country sound. Also, Taylor's Style can work for country stations, but certainly not shake it off or blank space.

Hey look they own the 2 country stations in town, so all they are doing is sending 963 listeners to 995. Yeah, cumulus would be best to give one country and launch chr on 963, but they can't do that because over night someone else would jump at being the 2nd country station. As it is with all formats really, any of the other corpos will run it better than Cumulus.

Yeah, cumulus would be best to give one country and launch chr on 963, but they can't do that because over night someone else would jump at being the 2nd country station. As it is with all formats really, any of the other corpos will run it better than Cumulus.

There was a time when CBS tried Young Country in Dallas. It worked for a time and failed. I don't know anyone else who'd blow up when they have to go country.

over the last 15 years too many CHR programmers and record promotion people have gotten into country. changed it.

over the last 15 years too many CHR programmers and record promotion people have gotten into country. changed it.

That's exactly what people said 20 years ago. And 40 years ago.

As far as radio is concerned, it doesn't matter how the music changes as long as the people still tune in. Once they stop, the radio folks get fired.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom