• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Nash 947

In Central and South Jersey those who want 100% pure country have Thunder 106.3 & 106.5. There is a large overlap in coverage in Northern Monmouth & Middlesex with Nash & Thunder, I don't see how this experiment will benefit Nash especially in the overlap area.

Here in Rockland County I would like to give 94.7 another try but 94.3, 94.7, 95.1 and 95.5 are either being obliterated or receiving too much interference on weekends by different Spanish pirates. They are turning up on 94.5, 94.9, and 95.3.

The most powerful one on 94.5 sounded professional including running commercials for local businesses in downtown Haverstraw. I am assuming they are transmitting from there or somewhere up in North Rockland. This one had the better audio quality compared to the other pirates.

You will see more crossover in the future. With the advent of Youtube and other music sources, it was bound to happen. CHR radio has now changed for the better. A few years ago you wouldn't hear Pitbull (Turbo Pop), Meghan Trainor (Bubblegum pop), Ed Sheeran (ballads), and Weeknd (the latest song - Smooth R&B) on the same station. You had a choice of a rock leaning CHR, or rhythmic CHR, if you didn't fit in as a artist, you were left out.

The Iheart show last night was a good example. Many crossover songs, and the fans did not seem to mind.

Now with that said, formats such as County will need to walk a fine format line to make it work. Listeners will dictate what the line is, and programmers will need to pay attention to that trend.

Also different markets will determine what the crossover factor will be.

the crossover factor will be.

to me that's the wrong headed way of looking at it...its not about crossover its about kick ass music. and none of the artists you mentioned are kick ass. its a huge hole in the market for someone to fill

You will see more crossover in the future. With the advent of Youtube and other music sources, it was bound to happen. CHR radio has now changed for the better. A few years ago you wouldn't hear Pitbull (Turbo Pop), Meghan Trainor (Bubblegum pop), Ed Sheeran (ballads), and Weeknd (the latest song - Smooth R&B) on the same station. You had a choice of a rock leaning CHR, or rhythmic CHR, if you didn't fit in as a artist, you were left out.

Not true - Z100 would be playing them all cause they were all top 10.

For example a chart from 10 yrs ago june 2005 had in the top 10 songs by:

50 cent, mariah carey, kelly clarkson, ***** cat dolls, black eyes peas, will smith, ciara, gwen stefani, 3 doors down, papa roach.

Thats a very eclectic list & Z100 played all those songs.

the crossover factor will be.

to me that's the wrong headed way of looking at it...its not about crossover its about kick ass music. and none of the artists you mentioned are kick ass. its a huge hole in the market for someone to fill

It's not as if they don't study the market, though. If there were a huge opportunity for it, with a large number of people looking for it, someone most likely would be doing it.

There is a huge negative reaction from hard core Country Fans, just check out the "posts to page" section of Nash's FB page. With threats of going back to Sirius/XM or switching back to Thunder 106 where its receivable. But the other side of coin has to be considered. There are many listeners who are "marginal" or casual listeners that want to hear Country but will welcome some pop or rock that will blend well with the country music. This is what made WHN successful back in the day. Some of the non Country that I've heard on 947 DOESN'T blend well so I think better choices might provide better results. Their "country for life" imaging has to be toned down in consideration of this experiment. Of course their branding shouts out country. Only the ratings will reflect if there is any improvements from this musical tweaking.

There is a huge negative reaction from hard core Country Fans,

Truthfully, even before adding the pop songs, the hardcore country fans weren't happy with this station because it's mainly current music.

As I said earlier in this thread, if you go to a country concert by one of today's top artists, they will perform some pop songs in their set.

And Ed Salamon played quite a few crossovers that the station felt had good fit for country in New York...things that would have been considered rather pop or mainstream.

I remember hearing Crosby, Stills & Nash's "Teach Your Children" as a gold on WHN in the early '80s. Ironically, its main selling point as a "country" song was its steel guitar, but WHN would steer clear of a lot of twangy, genuine country records that also featured the instrument. Again, it's knowing what the market will tolerate.

Here in the Hartford-New Haven area, there was no big-signal country station until 1988, when WWYZ 92.5 flipped from mellow rock (soft AC, I guess you'd call it today). In the early/mid-'80s, we had WMLB (1550) Hartford and WSCR (1220) Hamden, both of which stayed truer to mainstream country than WHN did. But then, those were low-budget, lower-powered AMs and were just serving a niche audience.

94.7 is not a NYC station. Has signal trouble in parts of NYC.

put NASH on 95.5 & put WPLJ out of its misery.

Dont want old songs.

Old songs = old people - who wants that - not the sales dept.

Agreed. There is a big difference between "new country" and "classic country". It's basically two different formats, and they don't blend well. You can't compare an artist like Jason Aldean to artists like Alan Jackson or George Strait. I listen to Nash regularly, but when an older song comes on I tend to switch stations.

20 years ago when I was working at a local country station I also spun music at one of the country station's sponsored nights at a local bar. Line dancing usualy started around 8:30 or so. Around 11pm, I would add classic rock and hip hop to the existing line dancing songs I was playing. The crowd stayed and, as the weeks went by, the late night crowd grew because I was spinning music other than country. So, even in 1995, country listeners loved other formats.

20 years ago when I was working at a local country station I also spun music at one of the country station's sponsored nights at a local bar. Line dancing usualy started around 8:30 or so. Around 11pm, I would add classic rock and hip hop to the existing line dancing songs I was playing. The crowd stayed and, as the weeks went by, the late night crowd grew because I was spinning music other than country. So, even in 1995, country listeners loved other formats.

Not surprised about the classic rock, as country music gained a lot of fans who'd previously listened to pop and rock in the late '80s/early '90s -- artists and songwriters, too, as Alan Jackson sang about in "Gone Country." I remember going to a Travis Tritt concert around that time and the loudest cheers he got were for covers of Elvis ("T-R-O-U-B-L-E") and Bob Seger ("Night Moves"). At another show, the keyboardist in Kathy Mattea's band got a big hand when he segued into the familiar organ intro to "Whiter Shade of Pale." With significant numbers of baby boomers fleeing grunge and rap and boy bands at the time, "new country" was a safe, familiar landing spot.

94.7 is not a NYC station. Has signal trouble in parts of NYC.

put NASH on 95.5 & put WPLJ out of its misery.

NASH will not be on 95.5. And Country will never be on a
major FM station in NYC.
And WPLJ will continue in its misery.

yup pd's are wussies....girliemen.......limp wristed scared to take a chance ...that's why radio is failing you mean not a single low rated station in a major market would even try?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom