• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Nash 947

During local programing Nash 947 has been adding in pop & soft rock music to the rotation. I just heard Green Day's Good Riddance played. This is certainly a controversial move. WHN did this when it was "county" in the 70's and 80's they played pop and southern rock such as The Allman Bros. and did fairly well in the ratings. So Nash isnt "country for life" in NYC i guess at least during this experiment. Hmm

Perhaps there's validity to the notion that audiences don't adhere so much to arbitrary definitions of "formats." It's not entirely new, this crossover concept, but the rise of services like Pandora can show people that certain characteristics they may enjoy when they like various tracks leads them across genres.

No doubt, some people will hold hard and fast to whatever their definition of something is, and the "you can't please everyone" cliche seems applicable. But maybe there's more wiggle room to be explored.

Many people that like country also like Classic Rock and Top 40 etc. I wonder if this is a trend that Cumulus will adapt nationwide. We have a Cumulus country property here that hasn't done well in the ratings in years.

Cumulus is hoping to broaden the reach of the station; get more people to tune in. The problem is that they are likely pissing off their core audience. So here's what will happen:

At first, their numbers will go up, especially cume. Then, they will drop -- and drop lower than they are now. The real "country" fans will find other stations to tune into (like one of the suburban country stations) or just use their iPod/Pandora/etc. They will leave 94.7. The people who tuned in because of the broader spectrum of music will listen for a while, but when they tire of having to listen to the country stuff in between the more pop tunes, eventually they will leave and go back to Fresh or Lite or some other station that plays more of the tunes they will like.

Short term, good move. Long term? Well, it's Cumulus. 94.7 WABC-FM

Short term, good move. Long term? Well, it's Cumulus. 94.7 WABC-FM

As bad as it is, the station is doing better with country than it would with talk.

And the fact of the matter is the country audience is far more tolerant of other formats than rock people are of country. If you want proof, go to a country concert and listen how many rock and pop covers you hear.

The main thing is they're getting a NYC clear for their country product, which is something no other competitor can claim. That's worth money on the national sales market. Clear Channel would LOVE to get Bobby Bones and After Midnite on the air in NYC. But it will never happen.

It was surprising when I first heard one of the non-country tunes on Nash FM over the weekend, but it shouldn't be a big deal to most listeners. They have been from the acoustic sounding side of rock and pop, or have some connection to country. An example of the latter is playing a song by Hootie and the Blowfish. The lead singer of that rock group was Darius Rucker, who is now a big country star who is played all the time on country stations. So the songs can fit, and add a bit of variety and familiarity for casual listeners. And Nash is only playing around 8 of these during the entire day, as they are not heard when they are carrying the syndicated shows.
Nash FM has also started playing a Taylor Swift song every hour during the local programming, even though she has gone pop. Now that's annoying.

I wish Nash-Fm would play some country classics or perhaps have a specialty show featuring Country Gold

That's Nash Icon.

During local programing Nash 947 has been adding in pop & soft rock music to the rotation. I just heard Green Day's Good Riddance played. This is certainly a controversial move. WHN did this when it was "county" in the 70's and 80's they played pop and southern rock such as The Allman Bros. and did fairly well in the ratings. So Nash isnt "country for life" in NYC i guess at least during this experiment. Hmm

Years ago I heard they were adding Beatles songs to country stations. Yesterday at work we listened to B101 (supposedly AC I guess) and they played about 3 country crossover tunes in a row.. I thought someone had switched the station.

That's Nash Icon.

That's right. And since we don't have a Nash Icon affiliate anywhere near NYC, Nash should do a Nash Icon type show and play older country hits on Saturday nights or something like that. But since NYC is generally not receptive to county music, a classic country show would probably get even fewer listeners than the regular Nash programming already being aired.

NYC is generally not receptive to county music,

I THINK IT IS....but nash is bad country music....too wussie girlieman ....play some new rockabilly......or just say no ballads after 7 pm....that would work

At one time, WHN was a Top 10 station.

And Ed Salamon played quite a few crossovers that the station felt had good fit for country in New York...things that would have been considered rather pop or mainstream.

I THINK IT IS....but nash is bad country music....too wussie girlieman ....play some new rockabilly......or just say no ballads after 7 pm....that would work

Nash is to country what z100 is to pop - they play ALL the hits.

It would be stupid if the #1 song was a ballad & never play it night at all.

Tell your rockabilly songs to hit the top 10 & nash will play them too.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom