• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Is it necessary to mention this?

NBC Connecticut reported on a story about a ride malfunction at the Universal Studios Theme Park down in Florida. At the end of the story the anchor mentioned that NBC/Universal is the parent company of NBC Connecticut.

I've heard this mention before too. When NBC used to be part of GE and they would do a story about GE they would mentioned about GE being the parent company of NBC Connecticut.

I don't know if it's a law, or even an explict regulation per se, although it may be. I'm sure it is a best practice listed by the NAB though.

NBC Connecticut reported on a story about a ride malfunction at the Universal Studios Theme Park down in Florida. At the end of the story the anchor mentioned that NBC/Universal is the parent company of NBC Connecticut.

I've heard this mention before too. When NBC used to be part of GE and they would do a story about GE they would mentioned about GE being the parent company of NBC Connecticut.

It's become rather standard practice to mention where there is a "shared interest" in a news story. Most networks have the same policy. It falls under full disclosure.

I don't know if it's a law, or even an explict regulation per se, although it may be. I'm sure it is a best practice listed by the NAB though.

I did not know the NAB had a "best practices" at all any more. The NAB Code was eliminated in 1983 following "negotiations" with the Department of Justice which was looking into the Code as a type of collusion.

In Atlanta, NPR affiliate WABE is licensed to The Board of Education of the Atlanta Public Schools. Anytime there is a story about the schools, they tag the story with the "disclaimer". I, too, have wondered if there is some court decision or some code of ethics involved, but it does seem to be something of an industry wide practice. (But not universally observed.)

Disclosing any business or organizational link between a media outlet and the subject of a story being covered is pretty much standard journalistic procedure. Otherwise there are accusations of "hiding things" and protecting corporate interests.

Disclosing any business or organizational link between a media outlet and the subject of a story being covered is pretty much standard journalistic procedure. Otherwise there are accusations of "hiding things" and protecting corporate interests.

Well said. Stations/networks could also be open to criticism for doing positive stories about corporate siblings. (You hear the disclaimer a lot on CNBC.)

They don't mention Comcast either. But heaven forbid we should have to figure out whether NBC/Universal and NBC are affiliated in any way. This is how they see us, Marc.

If they didn't do it, folks would complain. When they do it, folks complain. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom