• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Congress Hammers FCC

Status
Not open for further replies.
When the voters actually take charge (the way they're supposed to)

Most voters are just regular folks. They're lazy. They don't pay attention. Until things start changing and all of a sudden what they like is gone, they have no real motivation. If the voters really were interested in taking charge, they'd be ticked off about the past 6 years. They don't seem to be.

For better or worse, this is one issue they are motivated about, and the reason for that is because they know that the ISP's are threatening the Internet's very existence. It's the single greatest technological innovation and engine of economic growth in centuries. People tend to get a little pissed off when their access to it is threatened by those who would use a corrupted Congress to destroy it.

From your article:

A record-setting number of Americans weighed in with their thoughts on this matter. But there's one problem, according to George Washington University law professor Richard Pierce.

"The vast majority of the comments are utterly worthless," Pierce says.

Worthless, perhaps, in the sense that Congress could foreseeably override the will of the people (and all rational, logical sense) by gutting the FCC and taking the responsibility for themselves, but not at all in the sense that the FCC didn't feel the pressure. And I would seriously question anyone who thinks that pressure wouldn't be felt by Congress, as well. There may well be a power-mad majority under the dome who think they're God's gift to government, but at the end of the day, you don't screw around with people's Internet. That's just plain political suicide.

Worthless, perhaps, in the sense that Congress could foreseeably override the will of the people (and all rational, logical sense) by gutting the FCC and taking the responsibility for themselves,

Read the article. It explains why they're worthless.

To be honest, they gutted the FCC a long time ago.

I did, but I don't agree with the assessment. Those short public comments come from people who are well-informed and want to be involved. You said it yourself: most of the voting public is lazy. This is a faction that isn't. This a part of the voting public that is engaged and active. Claiming that the number of comments doesn't represent the popularity is ignoring the amount of information that is being presented on both sides, which is far from insignificant. If there was a record-setting response in favor of net neutrality, that points to a well-informed populace that wants it codified, not a bunch of automatons simply hitting "send."

This a part of the voting public that is engaged and active.

The article points out that a lot of those comments were using template letters given to them by lobbyists and other groups who are simply trying to influence opinion. So these are not the free and open opinions by a million "well informed" individuals, but rather carbon copy letters written by lobbyists with a million different signatures. And while a million comments is a lot, it's a fraction of the number of registered voters in this country.

Well, look, you can believe what you want to believe, but if you go out and talk to any active net neutrality supporter, they'll tell you that while they send in the form letter, they're also making calls and writing letters of their own, and while they're a fraction of the registered voters in this country, it's also important to note that only a fraction of the registered voters in this country actually bother to vote for anyone in any given election, and the eventual winner is only elected by a fraction of that fraction, so fractions matter. They're rather important in this system.

Yes, because polls are always accurate, aren't they? Especially polls conducted a specific way to make the numbers come out in favor of one side. You have to know better than that, don't you? Seriously?

You made an unsubstantiated statement that was proven false by a scientifically conducted study. Everything you've said about the FCC's "net neutrality" is blatantly false. So yes, you're acting like the three year old that you claim Congress is being by doing their duty.

You probably think pro wrestling is real if you think Comcast (and Verizon, Time Warner, et al.) isn't going to make BILLIONS from the FCC's proposal. You need to stop getting your news from tech blogs and Reddit.

You posted an article. I'm simply telling you what that article says. If you disagree, why did you post it?

I posted the article to substantiate that the response was overwhelming, as I had stated prior. Not everything written in every article that I link to is something that I agree with, and I highly doubt everything in every article you link to says something you agree with, either.

I posted the article to substantiate that the response was overwhelming, as I had stated prior. Not everything written in every article that I link to is something that I agree with, and I highly doubt everything in every article you link to says something you agree with, either.

Whether you agree with it or not has nothing to do with it. The article is factual. I studied similar letter writing campaigns for other issues, and that article is consistent with my own personal experience. The point is that while they may have had a million comments, that's no real indication of anything.

The article is part factual, part opinion. My opinion differs from that given in the article, and my experience differs from yours... some of the time, anyway. And this is one of those times.

The article is part factual, part opinion. My opinion differs from that given in the article, and my experience differs from yours... some of the time, anyway. And this is one of those times.

The opinions come from people who have more experience in this kind of thing than you. You can agree with them or not, but that doesn't put your opinion on the same level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom