• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

February number, the holidays are over

Kmps

Sad to see the once proud KMPS at the bottom of the heap. They are beating some AM and low power FMs but that's about it. I am not privy to the breakout numbers. Are they doing any better in target demos? The 12 plus number sure does not paint a pretty picture.

I wonder if adding in the online listeners helps boots the numbers at all for Hubbard (which they can do, according to Arbitron, because what you hear on air and on line are both the same)

I wonder if adding in the online listeners helps boots the numbers at all for Hubbard (which they can do, according to Arbitron, because what you hear on air and on line are both the same)

Even if they do, I don't think it makes that much of a difference in their numbers. On the other hand, KING-FM and KEXP each have a large online listenership, but they don't buy the book (for obvious reasons).

Even if they do, I don't think it makes that much of a difference in their numbers. On the other hand, KING-FM and KEXP each have a large online listenership, but they don't buy the book (for obvious reasons).

KEXP looks better than I've ever seen them. Not in the Top 5 by any means, but 1.4 is not too shabby compared to their usual numbers...AM overall is just sinking like a rock and I have a feeling changes are coming for 98.9 at this rate....

Agreed with changes to 98.9. I'd love to see KWJZ come back, but most likely, Hubbard may flip KLCK to Classic Hip Hop, or even a KIXI simulcast. Classic Hip Hop has been trending throughout the country and I wonder if Seattle listeners may like it.
It is sad to see KMPS down at the bottom as well. Fitz is kicking their butt at KKWF.
KPLZ also dropped a little bit to a 2.9.

-crainbebo

Agreed with changes to 98.9. I'd love to see KWJZ come back, but most likely, Hubbard may flip KLCK to Classic Hip Hop, or even a KIXI simulcast. Classic Hip Hop has been trending throughout the country and I wonder if Seattle listeners may like it.

Out of curiosity, what do you call Hot 103.7's format?

I'm back in the market for a couple weeks, and have noticed Hot is no longer playing currents. The most current song on the playlist appears to be Get Lucky now. They're also doing Classic Hip-Hop sundays now 12-6 P.

I call 103.7 a mix of 80s/90s/00s/10s Rhythmic Contemporary. Not classic hip hop, and not Rhythmic AC. There are some rap songs on KHTP, so it is not AC.

-crainbebo

For those in the know what are the morning break downs? I want to know how movin and kiss look like.

I call 103.7 a mix of 80s/90s/00s/10s Rhythmic Contemporary. Not classic hip hop, and not Rhythmic AC. There are some rap songs on KHTP, so it is not AC.

I'll skip to the chase here, nobody is going to succeed as a 100% classic hip-hop station. Even Hot 97 and Power 106 play Bruno Mars, Beyonce and Nick Jonas. Locally, Hot 103.7 probably needed to water down the product by adding Michael Jackson, JT and Boyz II Men to appease the sales community. The rest of the hip-hop will be diluted more or taken off entirely not too long from now. If something drastic happens to KUBE or Kiss, I'd expect Hot to go some form of CHR quickly.

I'll skip to the chase here, nobody is going to succeed as a 100% classic hip-hop station. Even Hot 97 and Power 106 play Bruno Mars, Beyonce and Nick Jonas. Locally, Hot 103.7 probably needed to water down the product by adding Michael Jackson, JT and Boyz II Men to appease the sales community. The rest of the hip-hop will be diluted more or taken off entirely not too long from now. If something drastic happens to KUBE or Kiss, I'd expect Hot to go some form of CHR quickly.

You can't even get some country stations to stay 100% country.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/b...-goes-pop-how-formats-shift-when-genres-cross

I would agree with your local analysis, but WQHT and KPWR are irelavant in this discussion. Classic Hip-Hop is referring to KROI, WPHI, KMJM, and the other recent converts. KPWR and WQHT are Urbans or Churbans.

I would agree with your local analysis, but WQHT and KPWR are irelavant in this discussion. Classic Hip-Hop is referring to KROI, WPHI, KMJM, and the other recent converts. KPWR and WQHT are Urbans or Churbans.

Yeah, pretty foolish of me to make a case in point about Hip Hop with Hot 97 and Power 106.

By the way, do you know the slogan of both Hot 97 and Power 106?

Answer: WHERE HIP HOP LIVES.

Sorry Bob, you're wrong. The citing of those 2 stations was to show that classic hip-hop stations don't have the market to themselves - they also share it with stations playing currents. Oh, and by the way, you're scolding someone who's probably forgotten more about radio than you'll know.

Yeah, pretty foolish of me to make a case in point about Hip Hop with Hot 97 and Power 106.

By the way, do you know the slogan of both Hot 97 and Power 106?

Answer: WHERE HIP HOP LIVES.

This seems to be a case of comparing oranges with tangerines. A better example might be comparing AC with Classic Hits or in the 70s, Top 40 with Oldies.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom