• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Mark Simone, King of New York Talk Radio?

mitchflorida

Regular Participant
I listen to his WOR podcast pretty much every day. No question it is the best talk show on NY radio. WOR was smart to pick him up from WABC. He would have been a good replacement for Larry King on CNN. What kind of ratings does his show get? He is funny, intelligent and has a good rolodex of top guests in the entertainment industry.

I haven't listened to Simone's WOR show, but it's not saying much to say he's the best NY talker right now.

Never liked him. Rude, opinionated, and talks down to listeners. Knows everything and not afraid to tell you! How often can one listen to Donald Trump, Regis Philbin, or a Friars Club story. He is part of the problem, not the solution IMHO.

I agree about the prehistoric guests -- especially Dick Cavett -- but on the whole I enjoy Simone. Aside from those interviews the show is quick paced and fun. Simone has a good sense of humor and I think what some people see as rude and condescending is just part of his act. I don't get the fault a lot of people find with him.

Same here, Wadio.

Overall, I'm not a fan of talk radio. But the times I tuned him in on WABC (and when he did that Saturday Night Oldies show) he was an easy-enough listen. On one occasion it was he on WAEB who kept me sane while I was part of an historic Allentown traffic jam on the way to catch a plane for my Dad's funeral a few years ago.

I can't say one way or another I'm a fan of his WOR talk-only show. As I said, I don't listen to that much talk radio except for a half-hour, here and there, of a sports-talk. And WOR doesn't come in here that well, whereas his old WAEB gig was a loud signal. Strict 'talk' may or may not be his truer metier, but whoever said that being the heavy hotdog in NYC doesn't have as much prestige as it used to was spot-on.

The most condescending host in the history of talk radio.

If anyone wonders whether Simone is just playing with the callers in good fun or is indeed a condescending and nasty jerk it's the latter. After the last election an elderly man called up about an election on Long Island and Simone gave him the full treatment that he was basically feeble minded. The caller said the election was close and Simone said it was a 30 point blowout. I looked up the election results and the caller was correct so I sent Simone an email and he sent me a reply during the show and said I was looking at early results in the printed newspaper. He then went on the air and said oldtimers (meaning me and the caller) were reading outdated results as we rely on printed newspapers. Meanwhile Simone is older than me because I was listening to him when I was in high school. Anyway I sent another email and said I was looking at final results from the Newsday website and sent him a link. He wrote back with a terse comment that Newsday was wrong. OK maybe so I let it go.

The next day I checked again and went to the Nassau County Board of Elections website and they had the same results that Newsday had that it was a close election, like 5 points, not 30 as Simone said. He was using results from Associated Press. I emailed Simone again and told him (politely) that I think A.P. had the wrong numbers as the official numbers from B.O.E. had it close. I also compared the prior midterm election numbers and A.P.'s vote totals were way too high. Simone replied back very nastily that I have no knowledge of what I'm talking about and that I should stay out of such things as I was not qualified to speak about them. The next day I checked and A.P. corrected their numbers and I (and the caller) were correct and it was a 5 point margin not 30. I sent one more email to Simone and showed him the corrections and thanked him for confirming what I always suspected that he was a nasty person who means it when he makes fun of callers. This time he did not reply and never mentioned it on the air.

Mark Simone bashed Bob Grant after he died. Simone is like one of those pinch hitters in baseball who when they make him a full time player, he is awful.

If anyone wonders whether Simone is just playing with the callers in good fun or is indeed a condescending and nasty jerk it's the latter. After the last election an elderly man called up about an election on Long Island and Simone gave him the full treatment that he was basically feeble minded. The caller said the election was close and Simone said it was a 30 point blowout. I looked up the election results and the caller was correct so I sent Simone an email and he sent me a reply during the show and said I was looking at early results in the printed newspaper. He then went on the air and said oldtimers (meaning me and the caller) were reading outdated results as we rely on printed newspapers. Meanwhile Simone is older than me because I was listening to him when I was in high school. Anyway I sent another email and said I was looking at final results from the Newsday website and sent him a link. He wrote back with a terse comment that Newsday was wrong. OK maybe so I let it go.

The next day I checked again and went to the Nassau County Board of Elections website and they had the same results that Newsday had that it was a close election, like 5 points, not 30 as Simone said. He was using results from Associated Press. I emailed Simone again and told him (politely) that I think A.P. had the wrong numbers as the official numbers from B.O.E. had it close. I also compared the prior midterm election numbers and A.P.'s vote totals were way too high. Simone replied back very nastily that I have no knowledge of what I'm talking about and that I should stay out of such things as I was not qualified to speak about them. The next day I checked and A.P. corrected their numbers and I (and the caller) were correct and it was a 5 point margin not 30. I sent one more email to Simone and showed him the corrections and thanked him for confirming what I always suspected that he was a nasty person who means it when he makes fun of callers. This time he did not reply and never mentioned it on the air.

You're taking Simone VERY seriously. Alex Baldwin is a complete jerk but if I'd let that stop me from watching his movies I'd have missed out on some good theater. He's a great actor. I think you have to take Simone the same way -- tune in for the laughs and don't sweat the details.

Mark Simone Numbers

134,500 Weekly Cume (12+ , March 2015) 21,900 Average Persons (how many people are listening at any given moment)

Simone is always preoccupied with trying really hard to be witty.
Simone has now replaced Joe Franklin. Except Franklin had talent.

How many times do I have to hear" that's up there" referring to his website? If you advertise on the station it includes your advertisement along with his stupid picks of video.

How many times do I have to hear" that's up there" referring to his website? If you advertise on the station it includes your advertisement along with his stupid picks of video.

Why bother with that commercial junk. It is all centered on the host's ego and and dominated by advertising.

I humbly suggest some intelligent -interesting- talk is available:

http://www.wnyc.org/schedule/2015/may/26/?scheduleStation=wnyc-fm939 Click on the AM 820 for additional talk programming.

http://tunein.com/radio/NYC-Radio-915-s21607/

LCG

http://tunein.com/radio/NYC-Radio-915-s21607/

As unappealing as the current talk lineup may be to some, it's far better than what the poster above is suggesting.

Big time.

Above poster: Public radio is not everybody's cup of tea. Personal preference is not the same as quality.

Mark Simone shows signs of a guy trying too hard. Guys who try too hard eventually say something stupid and outrageous and end up in another line of work.

Simone is not cut out to be a host. He has been good as a straight announcer and as a side-kick (the Ed McMahon type role). For some reason suits keep hiring the same people over and over, despite any lack of success. Apparently, if somebody else hired him, the reasoning goes, he's a safe choice. Suits like safe choices.

As unappealing as the current talk lineup may be to some, it's far better than what the poster above is suggesting.

Big time.

Totally agree.

BTW, I don't mind the "commercial junk" (the ads themselves) because I understand that they pay for the programming -- quid pro quo. I think people get that. But the incessant babble about the website is counterproductive and destructive, IMO.

- It's annoying.
- It takes focus away from the programming.
- It implies that there's something more important going on elsewhere.
- It implies that audio can't stand on its own without visuals.
- It drives listeners from radio and to the Internet at a time when radio needs just the opposite.

I get all the arguments about synergy but I disagree. The way to get listeners and keep listeners is by respecting every second they spend with you -- not wasting their time suggesting alternatives. More radio listeners means more potential radio ad dollars and less dependence on having to whore the product by selling Internet combos, which look like a last-ditch act of desperation.

- It implies that audio can't stand on its own without visuals.

Most of the time, it really can't. One of the big problems with radio is it's one-way communication. If you have a way to interact with your listeners, why would you choose to ignore it?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom