Is there any benefit to doing college radio over commercial radio? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is there any benefit to doing college radio over commercial radio?

Echoing some thoughts already expressed by others …

• Do you need a college degree to work in radio? No.

• Do you need a college degree to advance and be successful in radio? Not necessarily (but it could help in certain circumstances).

So, why get a college degree?

• Will radio always be as faithful to you as you are to it? Probably not.

• Will you look at things — such as career choices — the same your entire life as you did when you were 20? (Only chuckles….)

However, dropping out of community college because you “felt that every class was a waste of time” was decidedly the right thing to do. Because something (the specific classes, the specific college, college in general) wasn’t right for you at that particular time. That doesn’t mean you can’t (or won’t) go back … when the time and place are right (which could be never, or could be in a year or decade from now). And if and when you do, you’ll likely find it opens doors you never dreamed possible. I’ve seen it happen.…

Best wishes.
    Last edited by Mike_Saffran; 03-07-2015 at 01:18 AM.
    @MikeSaffran Communication Lecturer and WGSU-FM Faculty Director, SUNY Geneseo, Geneseo, N.Y. Listen live: http://bit.ly/wgsu-live
    “Anyone can write. Only the real writer knows how to erase.” (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Saffran View Post

However, dropping out of community college because you “felt that every class was a waste of time” was decidedly the right thing to do. Because something (the specific classes, the specific college, college in general) wasn’t right for you at that particular time. That doesn’t mean you can’t (or won’t) go back … when the time and place are right (which could be never, or could be in a year or decade from now). And if and when you do, you’ll likely find it opens doors you never dreamed possible. I’ve seen it happen.…
    Thank you for the excellent advice! My parents have been rather disappointed with some of the choices I have made in my life, but attending college without a real reason simply does not make sense to me. What does make sense is trying to improve at what I love to do, and hopefully entertain a few people along the way.

Thanks!

If anything, you might work at getting the boring non-related required classes out of the way, maybe a class at a time and decide later if you might consider college

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12