• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Homeless man breaks into KWWW transmitter site, takes thousands in equipment

U

Unregistered

http://www.khq.com/story/28243325/homeless-man-caught-stealing-10000-in-radio-equipment

"The incident happened early Monday morning when Cherry Creek Radio in Wenatchee called the Grant PUD because their transmitter was out of service, possibly due to a power outage at the Monument Hill tower site.

"When PUD linemen arrived to check things out, they saw a man, identified as Kyle Richard Schulz, in a white Subaru stealing radio equipment and leaving the area. Deputies caught up with Schulz and found about $10,000 in electronic components belonging to Cherry Creek Radio's KWWW Wenatchee radio station."

Wonder just how he planned to fence the gear...

Ouch. Hope he gets charged with a good crime.

-crainbebo

They call it EBay. A few years ago we had someone steal quite a bit of gear, including microphones, laptop computers, anything that wasn't nailed down in an unused studio. We back-tracked the EBay listings and caught the (now former) employee red-handed. Whenever I see broadcast gear being sold on EBay, in the back of my mind I wonder what station it was stolen from.

At only 440 watts ERP that would be about 4 pieces of equipment. If they had the new Nautel FM unit it could be just one box plus stl. If they had a stereo there to monitor audio that would almost double the haul in pieces of equipment.

If some unplugged all my equipment at the transmitter site it would sure make me think the power was out. Nice little site overlooking the town.

At only 440 watts ERP that would be about 4 pieces of equipment. If they had the new Nautel FM unit it could be just one box plus stl. If they had a stereo there to monitor audio that would almost double the haul in pieces of equipment.

If some unplugged all my equipment at the transmitter site it would sure make me think the power was out. Nice little site overlooking the town.

Interesting! I was under the impression that all stations had generally the same equipment (regardless of the size). I'd love to know if the station is back up and running on the original equipment.

Breaking and entering/stealing from a licensed broadcast transmitter site is a federal offense....he could end up with some serious jail time.

It is indeed a federal offense. Can't see someone taking up space in the federal pen over taking that stuff, provided this isn't a career criminal. Restitution and community service will probably be the end result.

Interesting! I was under the impression that all stations had generally the same equipment (regardless of the size). I'd love to know if the station is back up and running on the original equipment.

They do. 1- STL (could be a phone line so no box then), 2-remote control, 3-Audio processor (most station have it at the TX.), 4-Transmitter (in this case a small rack mount TX I bet). Some of the transmitters have built in remote control so it could be between 2-4 rack mount items, with the transmitter being the biggest and most likely heaviest. For most stations the size of the Remote control, STL and audio processor is about the same. It's the transmitter size that varies. That's the basic stuff for an FM with no backup transmitter. I wonder if there was a refrigerator for the Engineer.

They call it EBay. A few years ago we had someone steal quite a bit of gear, including microphones, laptop computers, anything that wasn't nailed down in an unused studio. We back-tracked the EBay listings and caught the (now former) employee red-handed. Whenever I see broadcast gear being sold on EBay, in the back of my mind I wonder what station it was stolen from.

Whenever I see a lot of stuff on EBay, I wonder how much of it is stolen. There is a lot of money made in property crime.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom