• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Format names and the general public

People I know when talking about a particular station say Hot 93.7 in Hartford, CT will say "I heard such and such song on 93.7 last night it was awesome." Or they'll say "I heard an awesome song on the Hip-Hop Station last night."

And speak of Connecticut until 2009 the only place on the dial to hear Latino Music was on the AM band. I had a Hispanic Boss at one of my jobs and she knew I was into radio she once told me she liked the music and the DJs on "11 point 20 AM". She didn't understand that AM stations don't have a "point" in their frequency. WPRX 1120 AM.

I have seen WBT Charlotte NC described as "Top 40" and even "rock" immediately after its big change in the 70s. But at some point those who decide format names called it "adult contemporary". I would think that right after the change, the first two were right, because morning host Ty Boyd is siad to have stormed into a superior's office and used language that would make a sailor blush. Hardly something one would expect from "adult contemporary", even after the station had been a full-service station playing songs that today would be called "adult standards".

However, the terms "adult contemporary" and "middle of the road" are two that I have never heard used by any station. I also can't recall hearing any top-40 station calling itself "top 40" but I can't say that none did.

Back in the day, many of those adult-contemporary stations called themselves "soft rock" or "light rock."

Back in the day, many of those adult-contemporary stations called themselves "soft rock" or "light rock."

Also "mellow rock" and variations on all three.

But no "your adult contemporary station, WXXX." :rolleyes:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom