• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Steve McCoy on 106.7

RoddyFreeman

Walk of Fame Participant
I heard a rumor from perhaps the most credible source in the market that Steve McCoy starts Monday morning on 106.7. I don't know what this means for the morning slot, but I doubt Steve will be sitting there reading news.

By the way, I personally do not care for Lawrence Cooper, their talk host in the evening.

what a joke, Cumulus should just go Oldies and be done with it....hmm, maybe there are.

The Atlanta radio insider must be devastated . No wonder we haven't heard from him for months.

This is what I must have heard a promo for. The promo ran during Red Eye Radio yesterday morning. I thought the promo was saying that a Lane "somebody" was going to debut during afternoon drive on Monday. I thought the promo also mentioned something about a "come to Jesus" moment. That's what thought I heard. I dosed off later in the morning for 1 hr, 15 min. During that time, I was having a dream that I was listening to NewsRadio 106.7 on a smartphone. I don't even have a smartphone. I am believing that someday I will be able to afford getting a smartphone. In the dream, I was listening to both The Michael Graham Show and The Kimmer Show. At the end of the dream, I remembered that with the new afternoon show, it could mean that Greg Black and Cheryl White could be let go. I panicked, and my panicking got me to waking up. I immediately contacted Greg Tantum via email about this along with the status of the programming at the station. I gave him some ideas to improve the programming just like he said we the listeners could do. He said in a promo that we the listeners can contact him with ideas for improving the programming. He said that it's ours (the listeners') station. I pleaded with Greg Tantum to please not fire Greg Black and/or Cheryl White. He replied back to me by saying that afternoons will still be considered all news, and he said that he didn't know a Lane "anybody". He definitely doesn't know anyone using the Lois Lane name like the character from Superman. After reading Rodney's article just minutes ago, I'm thankful that Cheryl White is still sticking around. She's definitely better than John Lisk. With both her and Steve McCoy together, I'm confident that the morning show performance will make a comeback, at least, to where it was when Andy Rose & Michelle Wright were hosting the morning show. Last I heard about Michelle Wright, she now works at Cox Media Group. I heard one morning back in either December 2014 or January 2015 that Michelle was covering for Veronica Waters on the B98.5 morning newscasts during the Morning Show with Jeff & Melissa. If this is really the end for John Lisk, I wish him the best on his next endeavor, and if this is also the end for Greg Black, I wish him the best on his next endeavor, too. Anyway, that is all.

So who cares....? Hardly anything to brag about here. Number 20 in the market, 106.7 has tried a lot of stuff during their short existence as an "all News" station. If Cumulus is serious about the station, let's see some Billboard, TV and newspaper advertising. Nobody knows they are on the air except maybe the wives/husbands of the air staff. What a shame.
What a waste of a super FM frequency. And I sure hope John Lisk, Cheryl Castro and Greg Black can find work at another local station. These three PROFESSIONAL news folks deserve better than what is going on at 106.7. Now what happens to the so called ALL NEWS station? Maybe automate music--an oldies format--minus any jabbering DJ's. Maybe that is the answer. Surely what they are now doing won't improve their ratings from 1.7 any higher. Number 20 and moving lower.

Oh sure, the station's ratings won't improve. However, the morning show will, at least, be listenable to me, again. With it just being John Lisk & Drew Nelson, it's just not enough to keep me awake. Even with Cheryl Castro in the mix, it's still not enough to keep me awake. John Lisk only belongs during the middays and on weekends. As for Cheryl Castro and Drew Nelson, put them in any time slot, and it's fine with me. If this the end for both Cheryl Castro and/or Drew Nelson, I wish them each the best on their next endeavors as well. Who's going to anchor middays TOH & BOH? A) Cheryl Castro? B) Drew Nelson? C) Jim Dexter (He's been doing great lately)? Or D) None of the Above? Of course, no one on this board knows this for sure, but that's okay. Anyway, that is all.

It is a shame, IMO, that such a radio icon, has to come out of retirement to only end it up here.

It surely did nothing for Kimmers rating or increased popularity.

Somethings are better left undone.

Newsradio 106.7 where talent goes to die like the station
what a train wreck, the atlanta radio insider must be devastated

John Lisk and Cheryl Castro are now the afternoon show. Drew Nelson and Greg Black were given walking papers along with a few others... presumably to pay for Steve McCoy.

Since 929 is beating 680/937, why doesn't Cumulus simulcast The Fan on 1067? Stronger FM (although somewhat limited) plus all the bodies they don't have to pay that are there now.

Since 929 is beating 680/937, why doesn't Cumulus simulcast The Fan on plus all the bodies they don't have to pay that are there now.

Technically 680 is a Dickey Brothers property. The money goes directly to the Dickey family:

https://licensing.fcc.gov/cdbs/cdbs...acct=0&appn=101578600&fac_num=1098&formid=322

The FCC requires it to count in the Cumulus ownership for market cap because Lew Dickey runs Cumulus and owns 8.3 million shares:

http://data.cnbc.com/quotes/CMLS/tab/8

Unless Crestview or other lenders force it, Sports and the money it generates will stay on 680 and the Dickey family's bank account.

BTW: "1067? Stronger FM (although somewhat limited)" is a full class C (one of only 2 in the market)* and it's 60 DB:

http://www.bing.com/maps/?mapurl=ht...06.7&contour=60&city=GAINESVILLE&state=GA.kml

and covers almost all of Atlanta except Southwest and west edges of market.

* soon to be the only Full Class C because Cox is downgrading 97.1 with a CP to make it a C1

http://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/fmq?list=0&facid=59970

I can only guess they are going to leave the former tallest man made structure in GA that has 97.1 and 95.5 (and it expense) once they get 95.5's wavier to move to an in town tower:

http://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/fmq?list=0&facid=11710

While that may happen someday, I am glad we still have that station because I love the Kimmer, Pete and the News Maker Line. Disappointing to see Greg Black and Drew Nelson get the ax.

The most disappointing part is that Rodney Ho did not do his due diligence to get the story right the first time. The AJC should hire me to replace him.

Last edited:
"Technically 680 is a Dickey Brothers property. The money goes directly to the Dickey family"

I'm sure they could get around that. They've been simulcasting Braves games on 680 and 106.7, and before that, on 680 and 100.5.

"Technically 680 is a Dickey Brothers property. The money goes directly to the Dickey family"

I'm sure they could get around that. They've been simulcasting Braves games on 680 and 106.7, and before that, on 680 and 100.5.

I am sure they would have to do it as an "arm's length" deal, and at the very least make sure Dickey Broadcasting doesn't come out ahead over Cumulus, lest the other CMLS shareowners have a fit and cause for legal action.

Not to say it couldn't be done, but it would probably involve Dickey paying the going rate for Cumulus to carry 680 and not just flipping a switch.

Since 929 is beating 680/937, why doesn't Cumulus simulcast The Fan on 1067? Stronger FM (although somewhat limited) plus all the bodies they don't have to pay that are there now.

The station is stuck with the Braves until the contract runs out in maybe 2017. Of course, the year of contract expiration is not official. I'm just making a guess. The worst nightmare would be if they flipped to all sports radio. Anything but Sports Radio would be fine. Yes, it would take some sports team PBP coverage load off of the Fan stations 680, 1230 The Fan 2, & 1340 The Fan 3, but mainly 680 The Fan (1). 1230 The Fan 2 & 1340 The Fan 3 don't coverage much sports team PBP coverage. They are mainly scheduling conflict resolution stations. We do not need another Sports Radio station on FM. Sportsradio 92.9 The Game is enough. That is all.

Cumulus is not going to cannibalize 680 The Fan.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom