• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

99.7 khgp-lp now on air

93QClassic.com

Oops. Typo in caption that the system won't let me edit. Call letters are KHGV-LP New Station on 99.7 FM. Oldies Format. Professional sounding jingles. No commercials.

A search shows Garden Villas Community Association got their construction permit last month. http://licensing.fcc.gov/prod/cdbs/pubacc/Auth_Files/1591096.pdf Although the have not yet filed for their license to cover, they have obviously completed construction.

Attached photo shows their purported cover area. Apparently they are doing a lot better than predicted. This morning the new station was trying to override 99.7 KVST in the Missouri City area. Driving around to get an idea of where it was coming from, the signal grew stronger as I went east. Much stronger at 288 & W Bellfort, but still in and out. Even stronger at Bellfort and the Gulf Freeway.

KHGV-LP.jpg

Last edited:
Located just east of Mykawa, north of Airport Blvd. It's basically across Mykawa from Law Park. I'd be looking for the antenna attached to a rooftop. Only permitted for 49' above ground level, 41' HAAT.

KROY is likely to cause problems for KHGVLP, moreso than KVST. Especially with K-Star moving back to Huntsville in the near term.

Hello, I want to set the record straight. We are not trying to "over-ride" any station. We are completely above board and our consultant, George Schank, has a long good reputation here in Houston. Joe, who made the above posting after looking the station application and called to obtain more information about the station and spoke to my wife. I called him back and he was quick to claim that he knows Steve Lee at the FCC and he is an "informer." I am a long-time Houston radio veteran who is helping my local community association. I'm confused as to why the 99.5 translator in Missouri City was not wiping out 99.7, a little LP in Garden Villas, near Hobby Airport operating at minimums. I suspect that he was actually hearing the Palacious station. We have already filed with the FCC for the license to cover, on the air and completely transparent.

They sure got KHGV on the air quickly as the CP was granted only five weeks ago. Of course it was already an online station (and supposedly a Part 15 AM) so all they had to do is construct a simple transmitter facility.

KHGV is the first of the three Houston area new LPFMs on 99.7 to hit the air. Still awaiting the launch of KLHG in Galveston and the yet-to-be-named religious station in Northwest Houston.

No chance of hearing KHGV at my Cy-Fair location as KVST dominates, but they have a live stream available at their website www.khgv.org

The oldies format would please some frequent posters on these boards.

We are not trying to "over-ride" any station.

I think you misinterpreted the OP. He was just saying that the KHGV signal was fighting it out with KVST in the Missouri City area, well outside the useful coverage area of the Conroe station. Nothing critical intended.

I'm confused as to why the 99.5 translator in Missouri City was not wiping out 99.7, a little LP in Garden Villas, near Hobby Airport operating at minimums.

The NGEN translator on 99.5 is only 99 watts and 14 miles away from KHGV. It should not cause KHGV any first adjacent problems within your useful service area. KROY will be an issue when tropo conditions kick up, however.

And I want to clarify that I am not in any way complaining about KHGV-LP.

As everyone knows, KVST is regularly heard in Houston. With my good Pioneer turner and a north-facing directional antenna (see photo) on a 65 foot tower (which, by the way, formerly broadcast KVDO-LP), I am able to block out the Palacious station and listen to KVST almost all the time. This morning, however, atmospheric conditions had KVST fighting it out with a new station. I went exploring to try and figure out who it was. What I found was a professional sounding station playing oldies. I have no complaint against it; conversely, I wished them a good future. This is exactly the kind of format lots of folks on this board bemoan the lack of. Its what Houston needs...

As for me being an "informer," if that's what people want to call me, its fine. Others have referred to me as the self-appointed Houston radio police. When I see someone in the radio industry doing wrong, I am quick to let Mr. Lee know and. if its above his pay grade, take it to the good folks in Washington. Why? Because in my own endeavor to become a broadcaster, I discovered how corrupt the radio industry is. As everybody knows, for about six months last year I had the KVDO analog LPTV channel 25 on the air, only to be royally screwed in that deal. I had also submitted an LPFM app for 106.1, but at the time the FCC said our ministry wasn't eligible to apply because of our interest in another station -- e.g., operating KVDO. Now that the LPTV license has been surrendered and deleted, the FCC says our LPFM app isn't eligible for reinstatement because 106.1 is no longer available. Why? Because a translator for Simonton, Texas somehow jumped to Richmond and now is jumping to Sugarland. A church-owned translator that, as described in another thread, was until just recently illegally producing original programming and running commercials despite having a noncommercial exemption from paying FCC fees. Add to all this the fact that our ministry now has to figure out what to do with the tower adjacent to our church, as well as the 225 foot tower in north Houston, given that we don't have a license to put anything on them, and apparently can't reapply for an LPFM until a new filing window opens someday -- a day outside of my lifetime.

20150227_181703.jpg

Last edited:
Joe d., I am very sorry about the problems that you have had. I just hope bitterness does not drive you to hurt others with assumptions that turn out to be far from fact. The term informer was one that you used when we spoke. As I told you we are transparent and welcome any inspection by the FCC. We were fortunate that I had the studio and tower already in place. I am a VO artist and ham radio operator (extra class). The community wanted me to help construct and run a community station based on my past 40-year radio experience and I was happy to agree. All we really needed was a XMTR, antenna, and EAS box. So it was very easy to put together. The Part 15 (using a FCC Type Accepted XMTR) we tried was a huge disappointment as we barely covered a block. The Internet station is gaining ground...but the public is not quite there yet. In any case, we wanted to provide a service for the immediate community...a station run by the community with news, information, entertainment as good ol' programming like radio used to be when I first started in the biz. We will continue to be completely local and community focused with programming originating from our studio, the local churches, and other local community locations such as the park where we hold our community association meetings. Be patient as we move to the next phase following our tests.

BTW...I believe there was no way we were getting out to Missouri City. We have done many field strength measurements. Unfortunately, we are not completely covering the 60dbu coverage map as expected. More work to be done.

Wow I used to live across Mykawa in a house right on the other side of the tracks from that park. Kinda wish I was still there now. Love to give it a listen. Can't get it here in Humble.

Last edited:
BTW...I believe there was no way we were getting out to Missouri City.

Don't underestimate how far 100 watts can go. You should be able to put a decent signal five to seven miles out, with fringe reception up to 15 miles away. Your biggest obstacle is cochannel interference from either KVST or KROY.

I'm in Cy-Fair, and in a dead spot for KCYB in my driveway, I can hear KYBY in Magnolia...running 100 watts...23 miles from my house. Those two stations also fight it out around Willowbrook Mall and along Hwy 249 north of FM1960.

Don't underestimate how far 100 watts can go. You should be able to put a decent signal five to seven miles out, with fringe reception up to 15 miles away. Your biggest obstacle is cochannel interference from either KVST or KROY.

I'm in Cy-Fair, and in a dead spot for KCYB in my driveway, I can hear KYBY in Magnolia...running 100 watts...23 miles from my house. Those two stations also fight it out around Willowbrook Mall and along Hwy 249 north of FM1960.

100w with a good stacked Dominator antenna setup 100ft high you could do 15 to 23 miles car radio 4 to 7 miles with crappy radio. With the same antenna setup 250w 250ft high antenna 25miles car radio 7 to 10 miles junk radio

Blade, after our conversation Friday evening, I listened to 99.7 until I got home in Sugar Land KVST jumped in and out with the usual multipath and degraded signal one might expect at that distance. At US-90A and Dairy Ashford, I got caught at the red light and there is a spot there, one would think KVST was local. Of course, as I pulled away to head west, it was back to the aforementioned description. KKGV does not get into that area. I did get the opportunity to listen online while I was doing some work. I enjoyed the music.

By the way, everyone, Radioblade's radio history in Houston has been at some very successful stations. In his career, he has been on KILT, KNUZ, KFMK and others, in addition to work in law enforcement. He is a straight up guy.

Had to go to Bellaire 610 and Bissonnet yesterday - not a trace of KHGV - just KVST. Took some time to investigate other stations - KCYB lasted until BW8 and Westpark Tollway - the West Park Tollway was shut down going the other way, KCYB was doing well on 59 near the Grand Parkway, and pretty solid all the way up the Grand Parkway. Pretty good for 22W! The NGEN translator was boom into Bellaire, does very well up the Grand Parkway to 59. 106.1 was doing well in Bellaire, pretty much the entire drive. I've listened to it along 290 at businesses there, not a great signal but listenable. Apparently they were letting some Pakistani group have time on the air.

I had also submitted an LPFM app for 106.1, but at the time the FCC said our ministry wasn't eligible to apply because of our interest in another station -- e.g., operating KVDO. Now that the LPTV license has been surrendered and deleted, the FCC says our LPFM app isn't eligible for reinstatement because 106.1 is no longer available. Why? Because a translator for Simonton, Texas somehow jumped to Richmond and now is jumping to Sugarland. A church-owned translator that, as described in another thread, was until just recently illegally producing original programming and running commercials despite having a noncommercial exemption from paying FCC fees. Add to all this the fact that our ministry now has to figure out what to do with the tower adjacent to our church, as well as the 225 foot tower in north Houston, given that we don't have a license to put anything on them, and apparently can't reapply for an LPFM until a new filing window opens someday -- a day outside of my lifetime.

View attachment 471

I can understand your frustration at not being able to get a low power FM station. But for the life of me, I cannot understand what another Christian ministry could possibly hope to accomplish on the Houston radio dial. We have CCM. We have Christian rock. We have Air 1. We don't have K-Love - too much duplication with KSBJ. We have hymns and inspo. We have preaching - just about every denomination I can name. We have Spanish Christian. I guess we are missing Southern gospel. That is about the only format hole I can think of. For the most part, putting another Christian station on the air can only serve to dilute an already saturated market. The ratings will be non-existent, donations non-existent, and therefore the number of people saved through another station non-existent. I know some churches are desperate to get preachers with their doctrine on the air - the Calvary Chapels come to mind. We don't have that here, but based on the ratings for their station in the DFW area - unless you are a Calvary Chapel member AND an FM DX'er, you won't get Decatur from Plano. Ratings flatline. I know I am playing around with the idea of producing a Christian oldies show, but doubt I could make it more than a few specials. Unless a LP FM expresses interest in picking it up, it would only be web based. So even my interest is lukewarm at best. Why bother?

Took some time to investigate other stations - KCYB lasted until BW8 and Westpark Tollway - the West Park Tollway was shut down going the other way, KCYB was doing well on 59 near the Grand Parkway, and pretty solid all the way up the Grand Parkway. Pretty good for 22W!

I was at First Colony Mall in Sugar Land a couple of weeks ago. While in the parking lot I did a quick scan of the FM band, and was surprised to hear a decent signal from KCYB, 30 miles away! I was probably in a sweet spot for the signal, but an amazing catch at that distance. No sign of KBPA.

The NGEN translator was boom into Bellaire, does very well up the Grand Parkway to 59.

The NGEN 99.5 signal is pretty solid driving north on Beltway 8 until you get to 290, then is spotty after that...but I can hear it along FM1960 if there is no tropo interference. Also have heard NGEN at the Fairfield Premium Outlets parking lot.

106.1 was doing well in Bellaire, pretty much the entire drive. I've listened to it along 290 at businesses there, not a great signal but listenable. Apparently they were letting some Pakistani group have time on the air.

The 106.1 coverage appears to be very similar to the NGEN translator.

BTW I haven't heard the Monaville 102.5 KULF translator in a couple of weeks.

I guess we are missing Southern gospel. That is about the only format hole I can think of.

You are forgetting about KJIC 90.5. Understandable, as its signal is poor north of I-10.

the Calvary Chapels come to mind. We don't have that here, but based on the ratings for their station in the DFW area - unless you are a Calvary Chapel member AND an FM DX'er, you won't get Decatur from Plano.

Not sure which DFW station you are talking about. The only FM licensed to Decatur, KDKR 91.3, puts in a good signal into Plano and even into Garland. They used to have a translator on 90.5 which also made it into Plano, but I think that was displaced by KTXG in Greenville, which covers much of DFW.

I can understand your frustration at not being able to get a low power FM station. But for the life of me, I cannot understand what another Christian ministry could possibly hope to accomplish on the Houston radio dial. We have CCM. We have Christian rock. We have Air 1. We don't have K-Love - too much duplication with KSBJ. We have hymns and inspo. We have preaching - just about every denomination I can name. We have Spanish Christian. I guess we are missing Southern gospel. That is about the only format hole I can think of. For the most part, putting another Christian station on the air can only serve to dilute an already saturated market. The ratings will be non-existent, donations non-existent, and therefore the number of people saved through another station non-existent. I know some churches are desperate to get preachers with their doctrine on the air - the Calvary Chapels come to mind. We don't have that here, but based on the ratings for their station in the DFW area - unless you are a Calvary Chapel member AND an FM DX'er, you won't get Decatur from Plano. Ratings flatline. I know I am playing around with the idea of producing a Christian oldies show, but doubt I could make it more than a few specials. Unless a LP FM expresses interest in picking it up, it would only be web based. So even my interest is lukewarm at best. Why bother?

Bruce Bruce...its no longer just "Saving souls"...they all want a piece of the pie....$$$$ and evidently there is more than one GOD since there are sooo many parts of the Christian religion alone that do not agree on a lot of things that THEY claim is the only way to get to Heaven......Trust me, K-LOVE will come along soon enough.....I bet Air 1, if running IBOC, would put K-LOVE on HD-2......

After I left KSBJ and then a coworker was let go from there, he did NOT have good words for them. They EVEN had the balls to ask him who should replace him and HE train said replacement!!! ITs all about the almighty dollar now.....tax free income?? Ever "ministry" wants in on that.......Lakewood? They dont own the Summit...they rent it...for $17 MILLION a year...imagine what $17 million could do in helping the homeless, the sick, etc in the Houston area....NO instead lets use it for a BIG church where the preacher wears $1000 tailored suits....and his trophy wife is not humble but shows off her jewerly and acts like a QUEEN on airplane flights (which led to her being fined by the FAA a number of years ago)..

When KTFA (now KCOL) signed on in the BPT area in the 80s as a soft ac station but had a religious song thrown in every 15 minutes, I met one of the female jocks there after getting an off air call (I was covering for the CE who was out of town)...one of the 3 phase fuses had blown outside...snake got across 2 phases...and while the xmtr did not care, the FANS did..and lack of air pressure in the PA shut it down)...after the service guy removed said dead snake and replaced the blown fuse, they were back on....and I took said female jock to 2am breakfast....we chatted a lot (I wish things would have gone further than two times grabbing something to eat...she was cute and smart and we had similar views on religion, etc)...She told me the hypocrisy about what was going on and it made her sick. She ended up getting an offer from outside the market and left a month after we 1st met...she was supposed to send me her new contact info...and evidently either loss mine or didnt send it...never heard from her again (darn it!)...

That was in the 1980s....it's only gotten worse since........

You're wrong CW. Joel Osteen OWNS The Summit/Compaq Center outright. Bought it from the City several years ago to the tune of $7 million. That is not a typo. 7 million dollars.

Think he doesn't have some friends in Houston's high places, think again. Keep smilin'!

30 yr lease at 17 million total....then put 95 MILLION into it in renovations...wow....imagine how that $$$$ could have helped the inner city folks and homeless......then in 2010 decided to cancel the lease after 7 years to purchase it (yeah I did not know they had)...and a steal at 7.5 million...BUT after they sunk 95 MILL into it, noone else would buy or lease it....

Osteen did a nice maneuver there; made the property unusable by anyone else so he was able to buy it for a steal...otherwise the city would be sitting on a piece of dead property NOONE wanted...too bad the city did not hold him to the 30 yrs....

You are forgetting about KJIC 90.5. Understandable, as its signal is poor north of I-10.

Not sure which DFW station you are talking about. The only FM licensed to Decatur, KDKR 91.3, puts in a good signal into Plano and even into Garland. They used to have a translator on 90.5 which also made it into Plano, but I think that was displaced by KTXG in Greenville, which covers much of DFW.

KDKR is weak in Plano to the point where cheap radios won't even pick it up. I used to go to that CC in Plano, before it turned into a "house of gossip". I helped a lot of their members set up moderate DX rigs in Plano to hear the thing. Sad thing is - they used to have a school. I negotiated a really good deal for advertising for the school with KLTY. Instead, they advertised on KDKR. The school is out of business. KDKR is fringe, even from Plano. Ratings effectively zero except for CC zealots who are willing to DX.

While this thread has strayed from the original topic, you gentlemen are making some very astute observations. I thought I'd add my two cents worth. And for sake of clarity, for those of you on this board who may not be aware of my post many months ago, both my son and I use this account to navigate and post on this forum. I am the elder Joe.

A question has been raised that implicitly asks why our ministry would want to add another religious station to the already saturated Houston market. Actually, what I eventually plan to do is tweak the JoeFM format (www.JoeFM.net) that my son established online to more closely follow what the good folks in Dallas have on 88.5 KEOM. A mixture of secular music with words of encouragement. If you recall Jon Rivers' PowerLine, then you know what I am getting at here. God recently gave this ministry an abandoned radio tower. He will provide a license to go with it when HE is ready.

As for Osteen: “‘This people honors me with their lips, but their heart is far from me; in vain do they worship me, teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.’ You leave the commandment of God and hold to the tradition of men.” And he said to them, “You have a fine way of rejecting the commandment of God in order to establish your tradition!" Mark 7: 6-9

Last edited:
Bruce Bruce...its no longer just "Saving souls"...they all want a piece of the pie....$$$$ and evidently there is more than one GOD since there are sooo many parts of the Christian religion alone that do not agree on a lot of things that THEY claim is the only way to get to Heaven......Trust me, K-LOVE will come along soon enough.....I bet Air 1, if running IBOC, would put K-LOVE on HD-2......

After I left KSBJ and then a coworker was let go from there, he did NOT have good words for them. They EVEN had the balls to ask him who should replace him and HE train said replacement!!! ITs all about the almighty dollar now.....tax free income?? Ever "ministry" wants in on that.......Lakewood? They dont own the Summit...they rent it...for $17 MILLION a year...imagine what $17 million could do in helping the homeless, the sick, etc in the Houston area....NO instead lets use it for a BIG church where the preacher wears $1000 tailored suits....and his trophy wife is not humble but shows off her jewerly and acts like a QUEEN on airplane flights (which led to her being fined by the FAA a number of years ago)..

When KTFA (now KCOL) signed on in the BPT area in the 80s as a soft ac station but had a religious song thrown in every 15 minutes, I met one of the female jocks there after getting an off air call (I was covering for the CE who was out of town)...one of the 3 phase fuses had blown outside...snake got across 2 phases...and while the xmtr did not care, the FANS did..and lack of air pressure in the PA shut it down)...after the service guy removed said dead snake and replaced the blown fuse, they were back on....and I took said female jock to 2am breakfast....we chatted a lot (I wish things would have gone further than two times grabbing something to eat...she was cute and smart and we had similar views on religion, etc)...She told me the hypocrisy about what was going on and it made her sick. She ended up getting an offer from outside the market and left a month after we 1st met...she was supposed to send me her new contact info...and evidently either loss mine or didnt send it...never heard from her again (darn it!)...

That was in the 1980s....it's only gotten worse since........

I could relate similar stories - perhaps you could elaborate on the miserable treatment I heard Buddy Holiday got. I heard stories about WCIE, only in that case the station was making plenty of money, it was a bunch of doddering old fools who conducted a "raid" because the station was too much fun for young people to listen to. Then they had to sell to make good on some shady real estate investments.

Nobody is perfect, except Christ. You need to start looking at him, not his followers. After the treatment I got at CC Plano, I could and from the world's point of view should have shucked Christianity. But that was his mis-guided followers, not Christ.

Joel Osteen gets a lot of haters, but I doubt any of them have actually listened to one of his sermons. I was prepared to dismiss him as "name it and claim it" heresy like I did his father, but instead I found him scripturally sound in every single message. As for the Summit deal - it was the Summit - not Lakewood - that was unusable. I went there many times, and towards the end it was run down and dirty. Lakewood has rennovated - and I bet a lot of that money was to haul off asbestos and lead paint and other problems the building had. Houston wasn't stupid, the building probably had many problems, they knew it, and unloaded it because it would have cost much more to tear down. It is said Lakewood is one of our top tourist attractions, and the city was looking at tax revenue from nearby businesses that benefit from the large number of attendees at Lakewood.

As for hot girls - you treat them like potential romantic encounters, they will run in the other direction. Thanks to my daughter's acting, I know some of the hottest girls on the planet. Sadly I am no more than a kindly grandfatherly figure to them! But I still get to spend time with them on occasion, and I was THE person one of them called in a recent breakup. I could have been a rebound - but I learned a long time ago young women are for young men, because only young men can keep up with them.

Thanks for sharing your war stories from Christian radio - you aren't alone - a lot of us have been there. We pray that somehow through all the incompetence, someone is actually getting saved. I have 7000 call slips that show I was doing some good - salvations, re-dedications, even prevented suicides. Too bad effectiveness and ratings didn't translate to being valued by station management.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom