• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Jonathon Brandmeier to Host National Show Based at WLS

Story link: http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archive/story/138775/westwood-one-to-syndicate-jonathon-brandmeier

Johnny B's show will air live from 9 AM - Noon CT on WLS 890 and be syndicated by Westwood One to other Cumulus stations.

Jonathon's show replaces Dennis Miller's show in the Westwood One stable as Miller has joined Adam Carolla in a new podcast venture.

This news is the follow-up to the related story of the dropping of the John Kass/Lauren Cohn Show that aired from 9-11 AM CT.

That story link: http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/a...rt-john-kass-lauren-cohn-out-at-wls-a-chicago

Last edited:
Chicago radio is in a funk. Nothing new & cutting edge anymore, just a bunch of old has-beens bouncing back & forth from station to station.

Many of these personalities (Dahl, Brandmeier, Murphy, Volkman, etc.) were all huge 30 yrs. ago, but these days they are bad re-runs of 1980s entertainment, Who keep moving from Chicago station to station trying to find an audience.

Johnny B bombed on all the previous stations doing his old schtick, with Buzz laughing at everything he does. What makes WLS think it'll work any better?

These guys were cutting edge 30 yrs, ago. Unfortunately, today, it's a bunch of old men trying to appeal to an audience young enough to be their grandchildren.
Chicago radio needs new blood.

Story link: http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archive/story/138775/westwood-one-to-syndicate-jonathon-brandmeier

Johnny B's show will air live from 9 AM - Noon CT on WLS 890 and be syndicated by Westwood One to other Cumulus stations.

Jonathon's show replaces Dennis Miller's show in the Westwood One stable as Miller has joined Adam Carolla in a new podcast venture.

This news is the follow-up to the related story of the dropping of the John Kass/Lauren Cohn Show that aired from 9-11 AM CT.

That story link: http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/a...rt-john-kass-lauren-cohn-out-at-wls-a-chicago

Very Interesting. Guess it won't be Meier and Brandmeier after all.

The Chicago Tribune story says that Brandmeier will be on WLS from 9 to 11 AM. He will replace John Kass, who is a columnist for the...umm...Chicago Tribune. Kass's former co-host, Lauren Cohn, may wind up on John Howell's morning show. All Access says Brandmeier's show will be on from 9 to noon. A three-hour morning show certainly makes more sense than a two-hour morning show. But here in Los Angeles, it seems likely that KABC will air the program on a 15-hour tape delay, 10 PM to 1 AM, which is Dennis Miller's time slot for a few more weeks. Who even listens to KABC at that time of night?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/breaking/ct-johnny-b-wls-am-0227-biz-20150226-story.html

I don't know how well this John Howell is doing for mornings yet on WLS. I was wondering if Brandmeier has been brought in to be ready to take mornings if Howell fails. Middays is not the highest billing time period. Why waste Brandmeier on a midday shift.

Brandmeier's show will be syndicated based in Chicago. WLS certainly has a unique weekday schedule with shows that are totally incompatible with each other. Brandmeier and Rush, who follows him have completely different audiences, as does Steve Dahl who follows Rush. Seems WLS is attracting established local stars. Only missing piece of the puzzle is Garry Meier who is waiting out a contract. Garry would be ideal replacing Rush, which would make sense and give the station a nice flow. I'm sure Garry will be hired by WLS sometime before the end of the year. WLS had to do something. Their 1.2 6 plus are probably their lowest numbers ever.

TGunn, John Howell moved to WLS in January after eight years as morning host at WIND. In the January Nielsen Audio ratings for Chicago, Bruce Wolf's WLS morning show ranked 17th with a 2.2% audience share and Howell was tied for 28th with a 1.1% share. You speculate that Howell could fail. Considering that he had only half the number of listeners that Bruce Wolf had, I think your speculation is well-founded!

Boy, their new line-up looks pretty good...

...if this were 1998!!! LOL

Seriously, looks like a round-up of WLUP and WCKG rejects. Heck, 1998 is probably about the last time John Howell was a relevant entity, too.

Worst move WLS ever made was taking Mancow off late mornings. I don't like Mancow and think he's a complete has-been, but truth of the matter is he generated very good 25-54 #'s during his brief time at the station. The station was in a bit of a ratings funk when he arrived, and he breathed some life into the WLS sails.

Fast forward to 2015 -- the station only has a small fraction of the listenership it had back then.

If I were Cumulus, I would've fought tooth & nail for the Cubs broadcast rights. They desperately need something that will bring cume in the door.

Radio Re-hash

Chicago radio is in a funk. They new need new & fresh & cutting edge talent.
These stations just keep rotating has-been talent that worked 30+ yrs. ago.

Dahl, Murphy, Landecker, Brandmeier, Meier, Mancow, Conn, etc. (old men acting like they are 29)

Chicago radio feels if it doesn't work on WGN, move them to WLS, vis-versa. Same old crap, same outcome.
Brandmeier & Killman were great in 1985, not in 2015.

Lujack & Edwards were great in 1975, it didn't work in 2005.
Just like the Bears fans that still live in 1985-86.

What's next Kevin Matthews & Jim Shorts? (again)

Boy, their new line-up looks pretty good...

...if this were 1998!!! LOL

Seriously, looks like a round-up of WLUP and WCKG rejects. Heck, 1998 is probably about the last time John Howell was a relevant entity, too.

Worst move WLS ever made was taking Mancow off late mornings. I don't like Mancow and think he's a complete has-been, but truth of the matter is he generated very good 25-54 #'s during his brief time at the station. The station was in a bit of a ratings funk when he arrived, and he breathed some life into the WLS sails.

Fast forward to 2015 -- the station only has a small fraction of the listenership it had back then.

If I were Cumulus, I would've fought tooth & nail for the Cubs broadcast rights. They desperately need something that will bring cume in the door.

Do you think ball games are listened to on radio much anymore?

I think it's an odd choice to have him replace Dennis Miller. Chances are, the only reason he'll keep the gig is most stations are too lazy to change the automation to a new show.

Dr Wayne,
I'm seeing ads for affiliates to buy Brandmeiers show..do they have to get affiliates before it airs?

Correct me if I am wrong Buzz wasn't apart of his morning show on WGN Radio, I don't think he got even on with Brandmeier until he was moved to WGN.FM and then the Game while they were the only non sports talk show on the station.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom