• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Radio Determines Which Songs People Remember

Either way, as a DJ, your familiarity level is expected to be much, much higher than the average listener that is only familiar with.......(shall I say it?) ......300 or so songs.

The average listener is going to be familiar with thousands of songs. That includes the music of the 6 or 7 radio stations they listen to, songs they used to like but do not care much for now, songs they never liked, songs their parents played and many more.

The average listener is going to be familiar with thousands of songs. That includes the music of the 6 or 7 radio stations they listen to, songs they used to like but do not care much for now, songs they never liked, songs their parents played and many more.

Not to mention songs their friends like(d), Muzak at work, and the stuff played by wedding and bar mitzvah DJS... :D

Yes, as a wedding DJ and spending 23 years in the radio business, I am familiar with a lot of music, from current music all the way back to the 1940s. I have to be in my current business. But, tuning into a local college station this week, that has air personalities (many of which are retired former local radio DJs from the 1960s to 1980s.) i heard a song this week that I was unfamiliar with (I think from the Shangri-las or Shirelles.) It wasn't a song I knew. It caused me to tune out because the unfamiliar song annoyed me. Who knows if the DJ ever back announced what the unfamiliar song was and I wasn't about to pull over and put my phone up to the radio in the Soundhound app.

Last edited:
Many of the songs that have been requested for years at weddings never saw any radio airplay whatsoever. The Electric Slide, Wobble, Cupid Shuffle are all standards at weddings. Guests at weddings request everything from Uptown Funk to Love Shack To Some Kind Of Wonderful. For the most part, today's bride considers "oldies" the music from the 1970s and 1980s. I very rarely play any 50s or 60s music anymore, except for songs like The Twist, Shout, Mustang Sally, Respect, Tequila etc. And, the version of Shout I prefer is from the Animal House soundtrack.

For the most part, today's bride considers "oldies" the music from the 1970s and 1980s.

Perhaps oldies76 needs to become a bridal consultant and "educate" them on his definition of same.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom