• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

EMF buys KMCQ

They're about the only outfit willing to pay what the bank wanted. Oh well...that opens a preset on the ol' Delco...

They would probably bring in more revenue if they just LEAVE IT as a classic hits radio station and don't mess with it. For a region that boasts a rather petite christian population (in comparison to the nation), we have plenty of this stuff to go around.

Last edited:
You can bet any EMF owned station is going to be a CCM or some Christian format station...they will not leave it to be secular...

Not being a resident of the area, I can only take your word on it and don't doubt it...

Air1 bought a former Cumeless Houston rimshot that cost the Cloud as much as $40 million....32 mil for the license alone..then the 2000 ft tower with elevator, antennas, equipment, etc...Ran it into the ground...and sold it off to Air1 for only 5 mil!....nice ROI on it huh??? Air1 is evidently making $ off it....even with the poor signal into Metro Houston and KSBJ, etc. already in the market...and plenty of religious stations to the east in BPT market....that hasn't stopped other signals in the area like EMF, etc..

Not being a resident of the area, I can only take your word on it and don't doubt it...

Air1 bought a former Cumeless Houston rimshot that cost the Cloud as much as $40 million....32 mil for the license alone..then the 2000 ft tower with elevator, antennas, equipment, etc...Ran it into the ground...and sold it off to Air1 for only 5 mil!....nice ROI on it huh??? Air1 is evidently making $ off it....even with the poor signal into Metro Houston and KSBJ, etc. already in the market...and plenty of religious stations to the east in BPT market....that hasn't stopped other signals in the area like EMF, etc..

I find it astounding that Air1 could pick up a station for that low of a price. I certainly don't think you could find a commercial FM for sale out here for 5 mil.

103.7 KHJK....now licensed as a non commercial (just filed the paperwork to change it)

also its "sister" under The Cloud, 97.5 KFNC sold for 5 mil as well to GOW Communications in Houston (which owns 1560 and also is flagship of Sports Radio Network)...that one was cheaper in the beginning as it was an upgrade from an existing Class C licensed to Beaumont under Cumeless....originally KAYD-FM...needed a new 2000 ft tower and new xmtr gear, etc but the license was bought years earlier for next to nothing by the Cloud folks.

No rumor...if EMF buys KMCQ, it will turn into K-LOVE. No exception. Seattle has no K-LOVE affiliate and I bet EMF wants one...badly. They will try to switch longtime Spirit listeners to 104.5.
This means KJR can tweak their "Jet" back to mainly 70s stuff, since Q104.5 will be gone. Or maybe KLCK-98.9 will flip to classic hits. They are at a low 2 in the PPMs with the Modern AC...which is a mix of KPLZ, KNDD and KRWM songs anyways.
I don't mind Christian Contemporary music, but I just wonder if there will be any change to KCMS' ratings.

-crainbebo

I don't mind Christian Contemporary music, but I just wonder if there will be any change to KCMS' ratings.

-crainbebo

KCMS has a standing reputation as a christian contemporary radio station in Seattle, so I would think it would take quite a bit to pull away their loyal listeners. With that being said, I don't know much about the K-LOVE format, and I am curious if it will have a local studio.

Of course it won't. EMF will plead "poor wittle non profit" to the FCC and as a noncomm, be granted a studio waiver, then their CEO collects his half million a year, and they'll only utter the word Seattle once an hour. Isn't radio grand?

KCMS has a standing reputation as a christian contemporary radio station in Seattle, so I would think it would take quite a bit to pull away their loyal listeners. With that being said, I don't know much about the K-LOVE format, and I am curious if it will have a local studio.

Portland has had a full power K-Love station, for just over a year, after many years of rimshots and translators. They apparently don't subscribe to the PPM but I can't see any change in KFIS' ratings and they're far less entrenched than KCMS.

What I find interesting is that two FM's just sold to religious broadcasters in this market. First, it was KXOT to BBN, and now KMCQ to EMF who will take it non-commercial.

What I find interesting is that two FM's just sold to religious broadcasters in this market. First, it was KXOT to BBN, and now KMCQ to EMF who will take it non-commercial.

That brings up another interesting point. How many of these religious FM's can Seattle handle? Sure, we have complained about rinky-dink LP's that serve no purpose other than to degrade reception quality on the dial, but now we are dealing with stations that cover a big piece of the market. There must be some sort of tipping point.

Oh Jesus Chr.....

It's one of those things that really make me start to question why we give tax-free rides to billion dollar religious mega-conglomerates (NOT small, individual LOCAL churches that actually DO something for their LOCAL communities), but ginormous, overblown national religious mega-conglomerates like EMF that do nothing but hog up the airwaves at the expense of taxpayers for their own selfish gain. We already HAVE a decent religious station in KCMS (not my particular taste, but at least they're locally owned and operated. And as a commercial station, they do pay SOME tax - I hope.)

KCMS probably won't feel much from this, maybe a point or two off (at best.) But it's a wake up call on where the state of terrestrial radio is right now. And if too many religious stations glut the FM band here, you can be sure that's going to drive away the non-religious listeners as a whole once the FM dial here gets known as a "Jesus ghetto". Seattle flat out won't put up with it for very long if any full power stations sell out to the Bible thumpers. And if that's all who's buying these days, well.....

It's a textbook case of preaching to the choir. And why there needs to be sweeping changes to keep these religious radio conglomerates in check to make sure Seattle radio and other markets aren't wiped out by the tax-dodging, sat-cast holy-rollers. Because if it ever got to the point where they could buy up actual full power stations in a place like Seattle (which KMCQ and KXOT are really not thankfully), it's not going to look good for traditional radio as a medium (it doesn't look good NOW.) Remember, EMF got started with a handful of translators. Then more. And more. Then they started getting full power licenses in other markets and expanding FAR beyond California. And others began following the same methods. And so on.

Sports is the only thing keeping AM going. Once that fizzles out, it's pretty much over for AM. KCIS BARELY shows up in the ratings. The Salem stations and KBLE - Nada. The LAST thing you want to do is transfer that from Shortwave to AM and finally to FM because once that happens, traditional radio is history.

If they wanna talk about "prophecy", well, that's mine. And you can take that to the bank better than anything Harold Camping* could have dreamt up. And these religious zealots know no limits. I know. I've tried to reason with them. People just don't convert like that. But just sell out a medium of mass communication to them at the right price and they WILL buy. Lock, stock and barrel. And as long as they know they can get away with it, they will buy. No matter if NO ONE is listening. Look at all these worthless AM religious stations for a glimpse into what THAT would look like.

*Speaking of Mr. Camping's diminishing empire, you've got less than 48 hours to pick up 1460 kHz before it goes into the FCC wastebasket. Have fun.

Last edited:
Religious (Christian) broadcaster list in the Puget Sound area.

88.1 KWAO South Sound
88.9 Various translators
89.1 U radio Low power Tiger Mtn
89.7 KWFJ Roy
90.5 KACS Chehalis CP to move north
91.7 New BBN
91.9 Translator CSN
93.7 Christiano
97.3 HD 3 Mormon
104.5 New
105.3 KCMS
105.7 CSN
106.5 K Praise
106.5 U Radio
107.3 CSN

630 KCIS
820 KGNW
1050 KBLE
1240 KBUP

Any more I didn't think of?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom