• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Who is on top of KRVN 880?

K

kenglish

Been having trouble hearing KRVN-AM (880 KHz), from Lexington, NB lately.
It's usually coming in very well at Salt Lake City during the 4:00 AM drive to town, but lately it's getting clobbered by some Spanish-sounding station, or stations.
The FCC website shows a lot of both Mexican and South American stations on 880. Not too many with high power in the US and Mexico, though.

Anybody else hearing this?

You are likely hearing my 1000 W pest from Dallas, Oregon (near Portland), KWIP. They kill 880 on most nights, making KRVN tough to listen to at times.

-crainbebo

You are likely hearing my 1000 W pest from Dallas, Oregon (near Portland), KWIP. They kill 880 on most nights, making KRVN tough to listen to at times.

-crainbebo

I sometimes hear them in KIXI 880's weak spot. And I'm in the same metro as KIXI.

For a former clear channel frequency, and one with a strong Midwest 50 KW, 880 seems cluttered with night time signals.

In certain spots the mixing must be a considerable, what with the two Oregon and the Washington signals dueling it out.

KJOZ out of Conroe TX is 10kw DA to the NW daytime (2 towers with an ERP of 18kw)..at sunset it is supposed to go DA to the SW at 1kw from the site. Is Spanish religious....could be new owners have not programmed the remote control properly and the site is not switching.

In eastern Iowa where I live, KRVN is not an expected nighttime catch. 880 is kind of funny -- either WCBS is roaring in like a freight train, or I'm hearing CKLQ from Brandon, MB, or a mix of the two.

This winter, however, I've heard KRVN at night a couple of times at least. Not strong, but definitely there.

There are reports of Spanish language "880 La Ranchera" WMBD from Nashville operating day power at night and being widely heard over and under WCBS. 2500 watts non-directional.

I had never heard CKLQ in Iowa in all the years i lived there. I do know the station from my time in Manitoba, though. It was always WCBS. KRVN is supposed to broadcast straight west to protect WCBS. I thought they were supposed to be protected in the western U.S. with the exception of KIXI and anything that might be in California.

I made it sound as though I have heard CKLQ often, which isn't really the case. I've heard it a number of times. Usually, it's WCBS, but with some inconsistency -- either it comes in strong or not. Often it's WCBS and something, which on occasion has been CKLQ. I can't recall what else. What is unusual has been hearing KRVN at night. Maybe it traveled around the globe and back to Cedar Rapids. (just kidding)

CKLQ turns up here northwest of Chicago from time to time. But I wouldn't call it a regular or even a semi regular. Usually it's WCBS, although KRVN occasionally tops WCBS just after sunset before going to night pattern.

At my location in the near north Chicago suburbs WCBS is one of my strongest east coast stations. I've only heard KRVN briefly before they go to night pattern. The only other station on 880 I've heard is WRFD right before sunset. Otherwise 880 here is a strong WCBS NYC's strongest station at my QTH.

It has happened on rare occasions where a station did travel around the earth and made it into areas it shouldn't reach. It's extremely rare, but it has been recorded.

It has happened on rare occasions where a station did travel around the earth and made it into areas it shouldn't reach. It's extremely rare, but it has been recorded.

I heard WMAZ-AM (940) from Macon, GA, in Lexington Park, MD one night in the 1970's. They beam SE, toward Miami, and Billy Sowell (CE) swore they were on their night pattern.

I heard WMAZ-AM (940) from Macon, GA, in Lexington Park, MD one night in the 1970's. They beam SE, toward Miami, and Billy Sowell (CE) swore they were on their night pattern.

And he would know. There's an example right there. I'd trust the engineer. Conditions have to be just right, but an all night sky with lots of salt water would probably help push a signal around the world.

WMAZ was a difficult but not unusual catch on the night pattern in the 60's throughout the Northeast and upper Midwest. There is enough power off the back of the pattern to definitely be heard in that area, particularly if one is at a good location to null the Canadian.

Given the right conditions favoring the South and minimizing skywave from more northern latitudes, WMAZ could actually be quite clear at my location in NE Ohio.

If a 50 watt AFRS station from Ramey AFB could make it to my location, the roughly 1 kw off the back of the WMAZ pattern was relatively easy.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom