• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KIRO network--what's the strategy?

installLSC

Leading Participant
It was recently announced that KIRO 710 will now start broacasting most of its programming on KBBO Yakima. Stations in the Tri-Cities and Spokane are already doing this. My question is what is the strategy behind these efforts? The stations KIRO have minimal ad loads, and I can't see simulcasting out of area stations helping much. What is the KIRO end game?

Last edited:
That's curious, as KIRO AM is an ESPN station, and Yakima already has an ESPN station on 1460. So if this goes through, what programming will KBBO have when KIRO AM isn't running local shows?

Looks to me like they're getting some kind of state wide sports sub-network going....

I still find it baffling that sports talk is a popular a radio format, but of course I am a gym class drop out.

When did the whole concept of 24/7 sports on the radio genesis?

That's curious, as KIRO AM is an ESPN station, and Yakima already has an ESPN station on 1460. So if this goes through, what programming will KBBO have when KIRO AM isn't running local shows?
The official announcement said KBBO would be running Fox Sports radio proogramming after 7 pm.

What if Bonneville just bought these stations outright and made them a simulcast 24/7? The best sports talk shows are on 710, and all of the major teams are here in Seattle. I think it's a good idea to have a network so rural (when compared to the Seattle metro) sports fans have a way to keep up on what's happening with their favorite teams and can call in and discuss with the hosts, whatever community they're in.

What if Bonneville just bought these stations outright and made them a simulcast 24/7? The best sports talk shows are on 710, and all of the major teams are here in Seattle. I think it's a good idea to have a network so rural (when compared to the Seattle metro) sports fans have a way to keep up on what's happening with their favorite teams and can call in and discuss with the hosts, whatever community they're in.

I like that idea, but I have a feeling that some of the local team affiliates around the state (like KMAS and KBRC) would make some noise.

I like that idea, but I have a feeling that some of the local team affiliates around the state (like KMAS and KBRC) would make some noise.

KBRC could make that leap if J&J felt like it. But I don't think it's going to last forever any more than the Sports-On-AM thing is going to last. Eventually, higher technology is going to win.

Sports fans (at least in my circles) NEVER listen to AM radio (even in the full blast of KPUG's signal.) They get their stuff with VIDEO. Through cable, dish or online. Pics or it didn't happen. That kind of thing.

They can yak all they want about sports games. What hardcore (and I mean SERIOUS hardcore) sports fans want is something they can SEE. Anything less is second rate (or worse.)

Just my observation.

I know several sports fans who listen to 710. And obviously the Seattle ratings show sports talk can work. You can't watch video while driving your car, or working.

I find this thread interesting. First people complain that Live local programming is going away. Here we have a station marketing their programing to other regional stations in Washington. These are people live in Seattle having to keep listeners tuned in with there voice. Spoken word formats are hard to pull off. 710 ESPN is doing 12 hours of it. Wrapping yourself around a popular sports team is no different than wrapping yourself around popular music or artist or genre.

I know they have listeners because I'm constantly aware that messing with the transmitters during 9am-6pm can cause listeners to call in and say, "can you repeat that, your engineer switched the transmitter and I didn't catch that last sentence (very embarasing). The only worse thing is having a technical issue during Rushes show and getting the Dito heads worked up.

Sports listeners are out there, I was surprised about a month ago when I walked into our local Post office to hear KFNQ, talking sports in the back ground, I asked why the lone male person there was listening to KFNQ? He said because they were not talking about the Hawks all the time (49er fan).

I appreciate the people that crack the mic to talk to listeners and add continuity to the broadcast in hopes that people don't tune out. I give spoken word host a little more respect because they can't bail into a song, they have to keep the ship on course with their voice, even the talkers on KTTH, although I may not agree with them, they are still hitting the target for the format.

Religious talkers are kinda an exception because some of them are just really preachers and most are just reinterpreting writings that are century's old. Not really original content. Maybe the same could be said for sports since sports have been around a long time. But I think sports is a little more dynamic and does not revolve around how you should live your life. Unless the Seahwks are in the play offs.

So I think 710 ESPN is doing good to be able syndicate what they are doing 7am-7pm. Does Brock get any points for being a local boy who is now syndicated in Washington state? I'm pretty sure he turns his own mic on and off. Would you think differently if Shelly Hart got syndicated from another Seattle Cluster doing a music format (just an example, Shelly is a great person)?

Who will die first, me or the AM license for the station? In the late 70s as a kid walking around the KIRO 710 transmitter I wondered if I would out live the site. Time will tell.

I find this thread interesting. First people complain that Live local programming is going away. Here we have a station marketing their programing to other regional stations in Washington. These are people live in Seattle having to keep listeners tuned in with there voice.

Feigning outrage is hard work....and serious business.

Taking content from one regional west coast station and building a regional broadcasting network is nothing new.

Back in the late 20's KJR was the originating station of the new ABC (American Broadcasting Company) Radio Network. Live programming from KJR was carried on KEX in Portland, KGA in Spokane, and KYA in San Francisco. January of 1928 the ABC Network broadcasting from the KJR studios expanded to KOIL in Omaha, KLZ Denver, KDYL Salt Lake City, and KMTR Los Angeles. With the expansion of nationwide broadcast phone line capability in 1929, the network added WIBO Chicago, WIL St. Louis, WRHM Minneapolis and KFBK Sacramento.

Later when NBC purchased the stations and network(s), things were changed-up again to form the West Coast NBC Red and Blue network.

Maybe KIRO-AM are the leading edge of a trend in AM. Regional AM stations, i.e. statewide networks. I know they already do it in public radio -- the Oregon Public Radio and Jefferson Public Radio stations as examples. But I am not aware of individual commercial AM stations doing this -- 2 or 3 stations across a state combining programming that comes from a local station (as opposed to a national syndicated network).

I just wonder if KIRO will stop calling themselves "710 ESPN Seattle" sometime soon. Maybe "KIRO Sports Network"? Surprised they haven't taken over KPUG-Bellingham yet.

-crainbebo

Why would Bonneville want to buy small market AM stations? Especially when the 710 ESPN signal reaches Bellingham. With a network they can enjoy the reach, extend their branding and broker air time, without the headache of running smaller markets. "710 ESPN" flows better when you say it on the air," KIRO sports network" not so much.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom