• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The Mouse selling WDWD to Salem

jabba17

Star Participant
Not worth $2.75m

What were they thinking??? Garbage frequency. No one will listen to it- which is the same problem Disney had. Bad purchase.

According to Salem's quarterly shareholder's call, the plan is to move 970's format to 590 (better day/night signal) and flip 970 to the Spanish Christian "Radio Luz" network.

What were they thinking??? Garbage frequency. No one will listen to it- which is the same problem Disney had. Bad purchase.

technically WDWD on 590 is one of the better AM channels in the ATL. I would much rather have 5 KW @ 590 than 50KW @ 1550. A quick search of AM in GA on the FCC web site shows only One other station on 580-600 AM:

http://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/a...&slat2=&NS=N&dlon2=&mlon2=&slon2=&EW=W&size=9

There is only new AM going in on the GA coast on 570 directional out to sea and WPLO 610 in Grayson which is a class D (and can be worked around easily because it is class D) to take into consideration for a major daytime power increase. With a COL of Atlanta which could be changed, they could move the towers and transmitter somewhere North or Northeast (Ballground or Dawsonville) build a 3 or 4 tower pattern that considerate all of the power south or south west Kind of like WINS only south:

http://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?call=WINS&service=AM&status=L&hours=N

or a WKRC again only south:

http://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?call=WKRC&service=AM&status=L&hours=N

and you will have a much better AM signal in most of the ATL than every body except WSB.

Salem has WIND:

http://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/finder?sr=Y&s=C&call=Wind&x=17&y=9

Which signal wise in Chicago's northern suburbs is close to 890 and 1000 except no nighttime skywave.

Now if you are thinking AM is dead in Atlanta, you might be correct. But 590 is a much better station than 970.

WDWD's day signal (12k) is much better than the 5k on 970. More coverage, and a pattern that hits all the right places.

At night, you have a 4500W pattern that leaves out North Gwinnett and points north and east, but that's still much better than the 39 watts on 970.

If Salem could tweak that night pattern similar to what the Mouse did with the day pattern (the day pattern used to be just a stronger version of the night pattern), with maybe a few more watts, then they would have a metrowide night signal.

On a related note--what will happen to Salem's 1400 (WLTA) in Alpharetta? Currently it simulcasts 970. Would it continue to do so, or would it simulcast WAFS 1190 (biz news/talk), or carry something else altogether? 1190 has slightly better coverage as is during the day than 970, so simuling 1190 may not bring much to that party.

On a related note--what will happen to Salem's 1400 (WLTA) in Alpharetta? Currently it simulcasts 970. Would it continue to do so, or would it simulcast WAFS 1190 (biz news/talk), or carry something else altogether? 1190 has slightly better coverage as is during the day than 970, so simuling 1190 may not bring much to that party.

I was going to ask this same question. 1400 WLTA is better off simulcasting 590 WDWD. They do not need to simul 970 WNIV after the flip to Radio Luz. Simuling Biz 1190 WAFS is okay, and getting creative & launching a different format on 1400 WLTA is also okay & not a problem.

I think the interference problem on that end of the band will only continue to get worse. Who would have ever thought LED traffic lights would add to the DTV and computer interference already there. AND, don't forget power line interference.
I can see the FCC moving these allocations up in 50 years or so.
I don't think they will ever get an ROI on their $2.75M in a hundred years.
AND, lets hope the Cubanos don't crank up a 50KW (or even 100KW) on that frequency destroying any night time coverage they may get.

I think the interference problem on that end of the band will only continue to get worse. Who would have ever thought LED traffic lights would add to the DTV and computer interference already there. AND, don't forget power line interference.
AND, lets hope the Cubanos don't crank up a 50KW (or even 100KW) on that frequency destroying any night time coverage they may get.

AM is what it is, but the RFI issues on AM are only worse on the high end of the band.

AM is what it is, but the RFI issues on AM are only worse on the high end of the band.

I write this in jest, but maybe the idea (cruel as it is) could be a thought starter.Why not a program to vacate AM channels, five at a time, starting at the "high end". Tell the folks on 1650 to 1690, go find a channel lower on the dial and negotiate to buy it because next year we are closing these channels down. Three years later, take out the next five channels.

Add to that some kind of "detention hall mentality" where people who own stations at the lower frequencies understand that if they a running crappy operations, their license may go into an auction pool where only people from the higher frequencies can bid.

After six or seven of those shut-downs, (twenty years?) it will become obvious to the public, the advertising industry, station operators, and the regulators that either:
.....(1) radio is alive and well when people are motivated.
.....(2) there is no hope for AM radio. Just vacate the whole thing.

I was going to ask this same question. 1400 WLTA is better off simulcasting 590 WDWD. They do not need to simul 970 WNIV after the flip to Radio Luz. Simuling Biz 1190 WAFS is okay, and getting creative & launching a different format on 1400 WLTA is also okay & not a problem.

One thing to consider is that 1190 is a daytimer (as is 970) while 1400 can do their 1000W 24/7. 590 has a decent but not spectacular night signal.

Atlanta is a very odd market for AM radio. Do you know how many stations can run at least 5000 watts at night? I'll give you a moment to think...
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
The answer is two: 750 WSB (50 kw 24/7) and 680 WCNN (50 kw days/10 kw nights). That's it. 590 WDWD as mentioned above, runs 12 kw by day but only 4.5 kw at night. 1380 WAOK runs 25 kw by day but only 4 kw at night. Everyone else is either 1000 watts at night or less.

What's even crazier is how many stations have maximum power by day, 50 kw, but teapot power at night... or have to sign off. In addition to WSB and WCNN, these stations run 50 kw in the daytime: 640, 1010, 1040, 1080, 1160, 1420 and 1550. But all power down to almost unlistenable wattage at night.

Obviously these patterns and powers were established when Atlanta was not a top 10 city and when the metro was a fraction of what it is now. But for those reasons, if you're not in or near downtown, your Atlanta listening choices on AM at night are quite limited.

Obviously these patterns and powers were established when Atlanta was not a top 10 city and when the metro was a fraction of what it is now. But for those reasons, if you're not in or near downtown, your Atlanta listening choices on AM at night are quite limited.

Plus: factor in the horribly low ground conductivity of the area, and you have inferior coverage even on the high power stations.

The answer is two: 750 WSB (50 kw 24/7) and 680 WCNN (50 kw days/10 kw nights). That's it. 590 WDWD as mentioned above, runs 12 kw by day but only 4.5 kw at night. 1380 WAOK runs 25 kw by day but only 4 kw at night. Everyone else is either 1000 watts at night or less.

And WCNN and WAOK are horribly directional at night, WDWD less so.

As of a few years ago, 860AM was grossing $1 million per year and keeping about $900K of that amount. With its much larger national footprint I bet Salem may be doing at least that amount on just its paid program AMs in Atlanta. With 590, they not only deliver a much larger coverage area they have decent nighttime coverage where they can bonus programs or sell at reduce rate in the overnight hours which 970/1400 doesn't deliver now . Often the national programs will buy a company's entire network. Also, it's pretty well known that Salem won't buy a station for an amount greater than what they think can return their money in about five years time. They paid just 67 cents per person in their daytime primary signal. Be hard for them to not make money off that investment.

AM590 off air this weekend (5/2)

Must be switching over. Tune in Mon AM.

Add to that some kind of "detention hall mentality" where people who own stations at the lower frequencies understand that if they a running crappy operations, their license may go into an auction pool where only people from the higher frequencies can bid.

How would you (or the FCC) define "crappy operations"? The FCC is very clear they do not care what type of music or talk radio or even language a licensed station broadcasts as long as there is no profanity, fees to the FCC paid, public file up to date, and the station operates with in the technical parameters the station is licensed.

So true, so true. The FCC cares less than a rodent's hindquarters about "public service, convenience and necessity." If you could sell it, they'd let you program the audio of a goldfish bowl at 50 Kw omnidirectional in AM stereo simulcast on FM.

We'd better watch out. I read not long ago that one of the Scandinavian countries is going to be discontinuing (or permitting or licensing or authorizing) FM broadcasting next year. Claim there is better service via digital (read, "internet") services.

"If you could sell it, they'd let you program the audio of a goldfish bowl at 50 Kw omnidirectional in AM stereo simulcast on FM."

That's a bit of an exaggeration. A station still has to serve the public interest though I realize that benchmark has declined. The FCC would not let a station do that.

Pre 80/90 a couple of stations I worked at, ran a couple of PSA's an hour which got checked when played just like commercials. Then on Sunday morning between the preachers some kind of 30 min. interview which the news guy would tape during to week would be played.

IIRC WLS 890 or WCFL (I think it was WLS but heck it's been 45 + years) use to after the top of the hour news cast had a brief very loud jingle fanfare with an instrumental bed which sounded lot the jingles repeated in a loop under 15 or 20 second PSA. The the big voiced image guy would say "getting it said for Chicago Land" then the full station ID jingle. I wish I had a copy of it to post. Kind of a cool idea: PSA and station ID both taken care of quickly.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom