Norway to end FM Radio Broadcasting
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Norway to end FM Radio Broadcasting

Norway to end FM Radio Broadcasting

They say that "conditions are right":

http://www.radioworld.com/article/no...adcasts/274642
    "The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."

Accidentally made a dupe post.
    "The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."

Oh, great. Now iNiquity will start to get ideas.

That *is* a surprise. I wasn't expecting that, not at all. Norway were ahead of us in digital TV switch-over but only by a 2 or 3 years.

Just across the North Sea here in the UK, and analogue radio switchoff still feels light years away. LW is about dead, but MW is hanging on in there and FM is still by far the most common way to tune in.......most car radios are still AM/FM- including mine.

To be fair that article only says 'conditions are met'- it doesn't give a switchoff date and one could still be a few years away.

99.5 percent population coverage is very high in a sparsely populated country like Norway!!

Quote Originally Posted by BMR View Post
    99.5 percent population coverage is very high in a sparsely populated country like Norway!!
    More accurately, Norway is a highly urbanized country. Most of the population is concentrated in several large metro areas.

They have quite an extensive DAB network, which covers much more than just the major cities. Coverage maps are available on NRK's DAB website. They were going to cut off FM by 2017, but moved the cut off date out, and will leave FM open for local & «nærradio» stations (their equivalent of LPFM's). DAB has only so many channels available, and the NRK channels take up many of them. LW still survives in the north, for mariners.

Quote Originally Posted by landtuna View Post

More accurately, Norway is a highly urbanized country. Most of the population is concentrated in several large metro areas.
    That's actually a very good point, Landtuna.

atrainradio
    I wouldn't say LW is dead. I (over here in the U.S) DX LW a lot, and can sometimes pick up BBC 4 on 198kHz. LW is better than MW I'd say, because of a much larger coverage area. But hey, I'm old fashioned.

In Norway it's to provide NRK P1 coverage for the fishermen -- and the fishing industry (as well as much of their oil industry) is obviously maritime based. Longwave fulfills its purposes -- similar to those of some of the larger MW stations here.

Quote Originally Posted by BMR
    That's actually a very good point, Landtuna.
    Even so, they have made sure that much of the countryside has DAB coverage, probably not much less (or different) from the FM network coverage, as the maps on the Norwegian DAB website show.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast