• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Bubba 98.7

S

Sean Barns

Hey guys,

New to this forum and looking forward to chatting with you all.

I live up north but been listening to Bubba a lot since the launch. Not sure how it's performing yet, although it might be way early, but I love his new station. Especially the music, the imaging and Ned in the afternoon. Really funny and creative stuff. I've heard him say a lot of negative things about Beasley corporate on the air. Particularly their corporate PD Justin Chase. Do you think that's an "act" and the Beasley people are in on the joke? Or do you think he's pissing off the people at the top? Also, the call to Mike Calta this morning was hilarious. Does anyone know if Calta put him on the air as well? He's got me hooked. By the way, I enjoy listening to Calta from time to time too.

Anyway, I've always been a fan of Tampa radio going back to the Power Pig. And FLZ has always been my favorite Top 40 station in America. Wish I worked and lived there.

Sean

Well, time will tell, but I don't think 98.7 is performing as well as I had hoped. I was shocked the 12+ numbers for January were as low as they were. I understand that they only give an average indication of what's happening, but I suspected a much higher average right off the bat. Of course, I've never put a lot of stock in the accuracy of the ratings system. In any event, I am still really pleased with the programming. I like the diversity of the playlist, and I like the Manson bits. I haven't had a chance to hear the morning show for a week because of my work schedule, I saw something about him calling Cowhead on twitter today, I'll have to try to listen online. When he calls Cowhead and Cowhead actually picks up, I honestly wonder if the whole thing isn't a big joke. I have a hard time believing a company that holds the reigns as tightly as Cox does, would just let that sort of thing happen. There's a lot at stake here on both sides, even if the whole thing is a work. But who knows... perhaps it's a "rising tide lifts all boats" sort of thing. All I know is I went from thinking Cowhead had a really intelligent and entertaining show to absolutely hating the sound of his voice. The undeserved smug attitude and constant bragging is a huge turn off, and everyone on the Bone seems to have that sort of attitude. Maybe I'm supposed to feel this way? I dunno.

I am sure of one thing though. Beasley has been restricting things all along. There is no doubt they're in control ultimately, I mean come on. And when he talks smack about corporate, that's fake. It's too early for there to be that much bad blood already. If I were Beasley I'd be satisfied... for now. If they're still hovering around a 1.8 in a couple of months... well it's over. I know lots of people are listening though, hell I've been listening!

What we have to remember about the January numbers is the morning show was live for 4 hours and on 4 hour replays for the other 20. Not sure that allows for high overall 6+ numbers. It'll be interesting to see February numbers. That's when I expect to the see the numbers jump since the music mix is now rolling the rest of the day.

station needs to be top 5 men 25-54 by april 1st to avoid '' potential adjustments''

what's interesting is all the bravado being aired on twitter by he and his army and in the five weeks he's been on the air his ratings peaked in week 3 and has been beaten by his arch enemy Calta in each of the five weeks.

jeremy

According to Bubba, there is going to be another adjustment, this time to the playlist, effective Monday, March 2.

Oh boy... I hope they give it a chance to grow before blowing it out and going to a typical 100 song Rock rotation.

new sound ?

To me......sounds like many many LESS current spins now on 98.7 , .....the ''active rock currents'' dont seem to have been entirely dropped.....but decidedly less current spins and more classic rock.....the parody songs and bubba picks seem at the same number (a lot).......based on my listening today 3/3

agree ?

I'm loving 98.7. I wished it came in better here in Brandon. I'm visiting a friend and I have been listening nonstop. I really wished he could get a station in Orlando. ahha

I know we're only looking at 6+, but I'm not sure if he's gonna reach that top 5 in demo by the 1st. I'm quite surprised at how poorly the station has started off.

I really am surprised. I think it's by far the most innovative and interesting station on the dial. I think they're doing a great job, and I hope the numbers eventually catch up to where they should be. I really think the music selection is more compelling than even 88.5 or something like that... yeah it's mostly really commercial stuff, but the stuff I hear on 98.7 blows my mind... for real. It's the only station I listen to on the FM side anymore.

I think it's really one of those instances where the 6+ numbers aren't giving you the real story. You gotta see the MEN 25-54 or MEN 35-64 numbers for this station. It's programmed dead on to the male that's 40 or so years old. Remember... this is now only the first month with music. I think they continue to tweak it and with very little promotion outside word of mouth, it's probably doing already way better than The Fan targeting the same demo. It won't ever be top 5 overall.... especially with the signal. Fact is... add in all the internet listeners and I think we've got a whole different story. I don't believe we're seeing the big picture so to speak.

Well, it is doing better than "The Fan", at least....

Somehow I think this is all leading to Beasley "imposing" a standard rock format of some sort, giving Bubba ammunition for a (mostly manufactured) war with management.

Other than a track here or there, the playlist at this point is mainly standard mainstream rock (there's very little left on it that you wouldn't find at 98Rock or Thunder/Eagle), so it wouldn't be a huge leap:

(Sample hour, from WBRN website, in reverse order):

Photograph
Nickelback

Dude (Looks Like A Lady)
Aerosmith

Born Free
Kid Rock

Refugee
Tom Petty

Mr. Wendal
Arrested Development

Interstate Love Song
Stone Temple Pilots

Mama, I'm Coming Home
Ozzy Osbourne

Follow Me Down
The Pretty Reckless

Unskinny Bop
Poison

China Grove
Doobie Brothers

Other than "Mr. Wendal"...all mainstream rock.

The music format is boring and not fun to listen to. Bubba is down to two people on the air with him and his show is not nearly as good as it once was. I find "radio wars" to be as boring as his top five music reviews. I am a big fan and yet very disappointed.

Oh Michael, I love you man, but I disagree. I love this music format. Every time I tune in I hear something different. I've heard everything from classic country, to modern rock, to classic hip-hop, and TV show theme songs! Not to mention Convoy, Muskrat Love, and oh Lord, I forget what other bizarre crap they've played. I love it! I think they're doing a great job, and I'm praying to the radio gods that this format will be allowed to continue on 98.7. I haven't moved my car stereo off of 98.7 since it came on the air. I still love any dirty nasty radio war, I don't think I will ever tire of it. I have to say, from my viewpoint, this is the best year for Tampa radio in awhile. Everything else sucks, but what Bubba is doing has completely redeemed him in my eyes. Ok, I'm done "marking out", but really, I love what they're doing. I've been screaming from rooftops that this sort of music format would fly for awhile, I think they're about to lift off.

Been listening all day today on the stream from my office in New York and I'm not sure if changes have been made since the last time I listened a few weeks ago. But Bubba987 sounds really good.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom