• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Shoppin' Underneath The Didn't Test Well:

S

Scooter Lesley

Well,...it ain't just me that's noticed this, but it's always left up to me, to point it out! So, Marv, hand me that Black Hat...it's funny how the thing just fits my head....Hmmmmmm? It was there, comin' through those water proof, outside speakers, whilst I was pumping gas. In the Dollar Store, when I got a few things there, then overhead the entire time I was toolin' my buggy around in Ingles. 80's music, just above the Turkey Pastrami, in the Deli department, another of the allegedly didn't test well, over by the brussel sprouts. If all these songs have no value, then why is the estate of Bob Ingle paying to have them piped-in, while I select a loaf? "Switchboard Susan", by Nick Lowe, while I pondered the pot roasts....steaks that still had the stripes, where the jockey was whipping it.
90's too...have you seen the price of Cheeeeeeeze? While listening to "Baby's Coming Back", by Jellyfish. Why is it that my Grocery Store can entertain me, but Radio can't? If all of these songs didn't test well, then why are they all over me like pink on ballonie! You know if that Grocery chain would have that Playlist shortened, people would buy their week's groceries in less than ten minutes....the store would never be crowded........Hmmmmmmmmm?

You know if that Grocery chain would have that Playlist shortened, people would buy their week's groceries in less than ten minutes....the store would never be crowded........Hmmmmmmmmm?

Talk to the people who work at the grocery store. I have. They tell me they've noticed the pattern of the music, and they know the playlist and the rotation pretty well. You just don't spend as much time there as they do.

Exactly. A good friend worked a convenience store and they carried Muzak. The equipment was set to one of Muzak's formats. He said the repetition was such that in 40 hours he wanted to break in the case and change the format. And it was music he liked. I told him he should have jocked Top 40 back in the Hot Hits days when Michael Joseph was at the top of his game.

I have heard some strange stuff in the grocery store myself. The store where I shop most of the time is playing mostly the more rock side of classic rock. Hearing Black Dog by Zepplin while grabbing groceries is not what I would have ever expected after so many years of programming for listeners older than I was at the time.

And of course, pink-ballonie-boy, them clerks and customers in that thar store are whut y'all might call a CAPTIVE AUDIENCE. They cain't tune out, stoopid. (Thought I'd attempt communicating with you on your own level, but I just heard my IQ crash thru the floor from trying. Awaiting your next "tranny" joke...)

Last edited:
How many more threads are there going to be with Scooter in jibberish stating that radio sucks, radio needs to play more non-hits, any station that is a 5 share or under is a failure and that only a guy fired from radio two decades ago knows how to fix it. And, oh yeah, CD's disintegrate like cake in a rainstorm?

Maybe the appeal is all those subliminal messages embedded in the music by the music service the merchant uses (you're cool for shopping here; buy the good steak...you can afford it; you love this song, etc.).

Mood Setting

As someone mentioned above, ins-store music is not designed to be a cume-builder, but rather set the mood and stage for the overall shopping experience. Uptempo, downtempo, mid-tempo, oldies, classic, classical, alternative, all-Jack Johnson (the Elton John of 2015 for in-store).

The programmers of the music service carefully select the titles to achieve an emotional effect. They care little about whether it was a "smash hit" unless they are programming a smash hits channel. There's a lot of careful psychological research that goes into the flow and the structure of in-store music. Whereas radio programs for demographics, in-store programs for psychological impact. One of the classic techniques was the main Muzak channel that paused every quarter hour to provide moments of silence for people to mentally "catch up" all based on the findings of industrial psychology studies.

. And, oh yeah, CD's disintegrate like cake in a rainstorm?

Is that a line from the lyrics of "McArthur Park 2015"?

I think it is by "Scooter and The Cooties" on Chart Stopper records.

The programmers of the music service carefully select the titles to achieve an emotional effect.

Not always. I was in a tire store this afternoon which featured KEZ, an AC I<heart>radio station and very heavy on current estrogen songs. Since most of the customers in any given tire store at any given time are male this seems like a sure miss.

Our local Home Depot plays the local Classic Hits station but is constantly interrupted by loudspeaker broadcasts. Very irritating.

There are a thousand things that influence shopping experiences. Background music is among the least important (and the most overblown).

Yes some businesses don't use background music services but opt for radio stations, I-Heart and XM/Sirius for their background. The non-background formats are not built for in store listening. I too have heard some music in stores that seemed more for the manager versus the customers.

Not always. I was in a tire store this afternoon which featured KEZ, an AC I<heart>radio station and very heavy on current estrogen songs. Since most of the customers in any given tire store at any given time are male this seems like a sure miss.

There are a thousand things that influence shopping experiences. Background music is among the least important (and the most overblown).

I think the response about programming to consumers was in reference to background music services, not commercial radio stations.

There is a wealth of mostly proprietary research information about how the right music does all kinds of things ranging from encouraging buying drinks at a restaurant with bar service to making a shopping experience more satisfying. Music can also mask noise and distractions in a store, letting customers focus on the merchandise.

I think the response about programming to consumers was in reference to background music services, not commercial radio stations.

I was addressing background music in general no matter the source. It has been decades since I have heard Muzak - the closest was probably Sonic Drive-In who have their own background radio service complete with Sonic commercials. Other than those it is basically an Oldies format.

There is a wealth of mostly proprietary research information about how the right music does all kinds of things ranging from encouraging buying drinks at a restaurant with bar service to making a shopping experience more satisfying. Music can also mask noise and distractions in a store, letting customers focus on the merchandise.

I'll bet there is. Produced by poseur professors who sell their Scientology-based conclusions to desperate business owners. I do agree that a certain level of background music does tend to mask other distractions but mostly it is used to try to create a "party" atmosphere. In my experience I tend not to patronize those places because it is too difficult to carry on a conversation so background noise....er, I mean music can also drive away customers. In most cases I believe background music is about as useful as the overhead TV's my old dentist's office had. What with the grinding noise from the instruments and the water spray how in hell are you supposed to enjoy that "experience"?

Next time in a store though I am going to try to identify the song that makes me want to buy a water heater.

Last edited:
Was in a Ruby Tuesday for lunch today and I heard everything from Got To Get You Into My Life from EW&F to Hold On, We're Comin Home from Drake with Pop mixed in between.

My favorite restaurant has Mariachi and traditional Mexican music. I cannot understand most of the lyrics and am not familiar with most of their songs but it is a perfect compliment to a great Mexican dinner. :)

Well,...there's a boatload of Dee-scusion going on here. It just Shickles me Titless to see such prow-usssss & dexterity flung on to a keyboard. Most of you are making some great arguments. Then, there's Dud-Fan. The boy is still delusional to the point of having a stroke: Happy with a 5-share, don't believe in CD Rot, still thinks that someone/anyone fired me, and in a random act of Consultant Research, has been talking to those working in the Grocery Store. Hmmmm?
Keep workin' at it, and you will eventually get that date with the Fat Gal, in the Bakery. I believe in you!

don't believe in CD Rot,

Because there is no such thing. It is made up. Like everything else you spew like fact on here. The CD's I bought when I was 16? The 29 year old ones? Yes, those. Just as playable as they day I bought them. They've outlasted countless CD players, including the $1,000 Denon I used to have.

The only rot is in your mouth and between your ears, Scooter.

Well,...there's a boatload of Dee-scusion going on here. It just Shickles me Titless to see such prow-usssss & dexterity flung on to a keyboard. Most of you are making some great arguments. Then, there's Dud-Fan. The boy is still delusional to the point of having a stroke: Happy with a 5-share, don't believe in CD Rot, still thinks that someone/anyone fired me, and in a random act of Consultant Research, has been talking to those working in the Grocery Store. Hmmmm?
Keep workin' at it, and you will eventually get that date with the Fat Gal, in the Bakery. I believe in you!

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove any doubt." - Mark Twain.

Let's collectively give Jethro/JethreneM a little credit, in having the Testicular Fortitude to at least post. It takes an IQ of...2 to Grunt, 3 to Program a 5-share, and 4 to allegedly combat a truth filled post, with a quote from a dead philosopher. However, you simply fail when you misquote the quote! No, he didn't get..."it"... right either. Check it against the real deal, if you doubt me or deem it necessary. While y'all are at it, check your CD collections for Rot: Hold them up to a light, and see if you can see any pinholes....the foil is missing there, and thus, the data too. I am convinced that, eventually, they will all do it, but the labels told us that they were archival. Metal based storage can't be archival, unless maybe Gold is used.

Here's a quote from me:

"For me, I enjoy Life,...but if the grocery store is outta that,
I get Cap'n Crunch!"....Scooter Lesley.

Last edited:
Oh, unemployed one that lives in late 1980's early 1990's radio, please look at these 12+ shares of subscribing stations and tell us all how many are above a 5 share.

http://ratings.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/arb191

http://ratings.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/arb001

http://ratings.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/arb003

Then try to tell us that they are all failures if they are below a 5 share.

I think everyone except you would believe that you are, with all due respect, a fool.

So how about for once starting a discussion about something NEW. And writing in English. We'd welcome a discussion that doesn't involve you.

Last edited:
While y'all are at it, check your CD collections for Rot: Hold them up to a light, and see if you can see any pinholes....the foil is missing there, and thus, the data too. I am convinced that, eventually, they will all do it, but the labels told us that they were archival. Metal based storage can't be archival, unless maybe Gold is used.

CD rot is generally caused by failure to keep a CD safely. That means not exposing it to UV light, not scratching it and not getting chemicals that will deteriorate the lacquer.

It is pretty rare for a CD to deteriorate otherwise, and would be due to a manufacturing defect such as a failure to apply the lacquer at the proper thickness or improper application of the bonding material between the foil and the base.

Any metal that is properly sealed against oxidation is suitable for archival usage. Aluminum is used in manufactured CDs primarily for the combination of weight, strength, availability and cost.

Even gold "tarnishes". And that is just another name for the patina that forms on a metal due to exposure to oxygen, sulphur dioxide or environmental contaminants. Even the ring in your nose needs to be polished occasionally to remove the patina.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom