• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Lesley Gore Dead at 68

She had arguably the most beautiful blue eyes of any human on Earth.

Why? He is the one who "discovered" her.

Just that when you go through his discography, her records stick out. At the time, he was mainly producing movie soundtracks. As well as his own jazz records. I guess her success gave him the chance to do what he wanted. But he was only at Mercury for 3 years.

And he didn't do anything like this again until Michael Jackson.

Quincy Jones' fine work with her is no accident. In interviews he's said something along the lines of seeing Lesley as an opportunity to show that he could be a successful top 40 producer. That's a major reason why her records sound so great; all those detailed arrangements, putting original songs on the LPs rather than just filling them with ho-hum covers. It wasn't quite as predatory as it sounds; Lesley treated him as a close friend.

............... putting original songs on the LPs rather than just filling them with ho-hum covers.

Not sure that putting original songs on LPs in the early '60s was such a good idea. I don't remember any of Gore's LPs selling very well (except maybe a Greatest Hits LP). Singles still ruled in the early '60s. LPs that did sell well were either "greatest hits" LPs or LPs that contained songs buyers recognized. The Ventures were probably the biggest album sellers in the early '60s, and all of their albums contained covers of songs done by others. The Beatles changed that trend later in the '60s with original songs.

Last edited:
Not sure that putting original songs on LPs in the early '60s was such a good idea. I don't remember any of Gore's LPs selling very well (except maybe a Greatest Hits LP). Singles still ruled in the early '60s. LPs that did sell well were either "greatest hits" LPs or LPs that contained songs buyers recognized. The Ventures were probably the biggest album sellers in the early '60s, and all of their albums contained covers of songs done by others. The Beatles changed that trend later in the '60s with original songs.
I meant in the artistic sense, her albums holding up much better than the typical "teen sound" LPs of the time. You are right that she didn't really sell albums--only the first one and the greatest hits cracked the top 100.

Last edited:
I meant in the artistic sense, her albums holding up much better than the typical "teen sound" LPs of the time. You are right that she didn't really sell albums--only the first one and the greatest hits cracked the top 100.

Well, that was true of teen-oriented music in general at that time. "The kids" bought 45's, while mom and dad, who bought the LPS, were buying Mitch Miller and Lawrence Welk. (Incidentally, I believe Ms. Gore's "Sunshine, Lollipops, and Rainbows" was the SHORTEST "single" ever to make the Top 40; it's barely a minute and a half!)

(Incidentally, I believe Ms. Gore's "Sunshine, Lollipops, and Rainbows" was the SHORTEST "single" ever to make the Top 40; it's barely a minute and a half!)

Close. Actually, the U.S. version of Duane Eddy's "Some Kinda Earthquake" (#37, 1959) clocked in at 1:17.

The sonic quality of Q's production with Lesley Gore may be among the best of the last 60 years. The vinyl reissue of the album "I'll cry If I Want To" was one of my favorites in my old album collection.

Close. Actually, the U.S. version of Duane Eddy's "Some Kinda Earthquake" (#37, 1959) clocked in at 1:17.

Well, OK, but I meant records anyone actually remembers hearing... :D (Not just some instro DJS would play when they were running late with the newscast coming up...)

Well, OK, but I meant records anyone actually remembers hearing... :D (Not just some instro DJS would play when they were running late with the newscast coming up...)

You DID said Top 40. Unfortunately, the only songs most people remember from the '50s and '60s are the songs Oldies radio programmers decided they should hear over the years. I'm guessing that maybe you are a radio programmer?

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the only songs most people remember from the '50s and '60s are the songs Oldies radio programmers decided they should hear over the years.

Bingo!

Lesley Gore, a symbol of the pre-64 era with her smash "It's My Party", hitting #1 nationally and on the KHJ Boss 30 in 1963.

Other big hits included: "Judy's Turn to Cry", She's A Fool" and "You Don't Own Me"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lesley_Gore

Rest in Peace.

Unfortunately, the only songs most people remember from the '50s and '60s are the songs Oldies radio programmers decided they should hear over the years.

That's not true, and the numerous reports of her death and this thread are proof of that.

Songs have lives beyond radio airplay. That's how we know music from the Civil War and other periods that pre-date radio.

That's not true, and the numerous reports of her death and this thread are proof of that.

Songs have lives beyond radio airplay. That's how we know music from the Civil War and other periods that pre-date radio.

Indeed. And some songs are remembered while others are forgotten; there's no vast (or even half-vast) conspiracy there; it's just human nature. "Stardust" is remembered, "Get Away From the Fish Wagon, Gertrude (The Man Ain't a-Honkin' At You!)" isn't. (PS: That's an actual song title...)

My dear departed dad used to sing us kids songs before we went to sleep. One was "Git Off'n the Table Mabel - the Nickel's fer a Beer".

I don't know if it was an actual song or something old pop picked up in the army but it always brought howls of laughter to us kids and ruined the "get to sleep" session.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom