• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What Was The First Radio Station in America?

Gregg.

Star Participant
In our high school history books, we all read KDKA Pittsburgh was America's first radio station. But this was using "commercially licensed" as the key words. While the federal government apparently gave the first commercial license to KDKA, there were plenty of stations already on the air by that time, with experimental licenses. There were also plenty of stations lost to history, getting their licenses, but not continuing to this day, because they either failed or their owners lost interest. So those don't count.

Here's a chart I put together, from what I've read over the years, of the earliest radio stations still on the air to this day, although others may had additional information...

--1907, 9BC Rock Island, Illinois, now WOC Davenport, Iowa, (both communities part of what we now call the Quad Cities), started experimenting, at first with Morse Code, although the station has not been on the air continuously to this day, due to World War I.

--1909, KCBS San Francisco, originally KQW San Jose, began broadcasting voice transmissions as an experimental wireless telephone service.

--1912, General Electric began experimental broadcasts as 2XI at its facility in Schenectady NY, although WGY didn't get its commercial license until 1922.

--1912, 9ZP Pierre SD got its experimental license to begin Morse Code transmissions. The station then started voice transmissions as 9CLS in 1916 and today that same station is 1060 KGFX.

--1915, University of Wisconsin's 9XM, now WHA Madison, got its experimental license, at first transmitting Morse Code. 9XM stayed on the air through WWI, providing weather reports to ships on the Great Lakes. But being owned by a university, it never sought a commercial license.

--1919, another Pittsburgh station, KQV, says it beat KDKA on the air by more than a year, signing on as 8ZAE, although it didn't get its commercial license until 1922.

--1919, CFCF Montreal would often say that it was "Canada's First Station," going on the air as XWA, "eXperimental Wireless Apparatus." By May of 1920, it had a regular weekly schedule, months before KDKA.

--1920, WWJ Detroit says it had what it says were the first regularly-scheduled newscasts and religious programs as 8MK, although those shows were not commercially sponsored.

--1921, WBZ Boston, originally in Springfield MA, says it got its commercial license on September 15, more than a month before KDKA.

--1922, WEAF New York, now WFAN, broadcast what may have been the first paid radio commercial when it was commissioned by a new apartment complex in Jackson Heights, Queens, near the just-completed #7 subway line, to air a ten minute talk advertising for tenants. But if the FCC was already handing out commercial licenses in 1921, wouldn't KDKA and those other early stations have broadcast some sort of paid advertisement before 1922? Or did those stations simply air a brief mention of a sponsor, not a full length radio "commercial"?

--Westinghouse engineer Frank Conrad put 8XK on the air in 1916 from his garage in Wilkinsburg PA, a suburb of Pittsburgh. In 1919, a Pittsburgh music store agreed to give him a phonograph and records if he credited the business on the air. Some say that was the first radio commercial, although it was for trade, not cash. As 8XK grew in popularity, Westinghouse asked Conrad to help construct a company-owned radio station at its facility in East Pittsburgh, going on the air in 1920. The following year it got a commercial license as KDKA. So can we say KDKA was the successor to 8XK and KDKA should be credited with the first commercial broadcast? Or should we simply say KDKA was the first "commercially-licensed" station, which means it is only one of many American radio stations with "firsts"?

Last edited:
"Commercial Station" meant something different before radio was supported by advertising. RCA, for one, ran radio stations to sell radios. I'll get back to you on this. And I'm back. Try this. It's from Wikipedia but makes a lot of sense: "Commercial broadcasting (also called private broadcasting) is the broadcasting of television programs and radio programming by privately owned corporate media, as opposed to state sponsorship." What is confusing is that there were no commercials, per se, at the beginning. My thinking is that "commercial" was used as in an area of town being "zoned commercial". I'm guessing that advertising was not referred to yet as commercials. It appears that such a station airs commercials because it's a commercial station, not the other way around.

Last edited:
"Commercial Station" meant something different before radio was supported by advertising. RCA, for one, ran radio stations to sell radios. I'll get back to you on this. And I'm back. Try this. It's from Wikipedia but makes a lot of sense: "Commercial broadcasting (also called private broadcasting) is the broadcasting of television programs and radio programming by privately owned corporate media, as opposed to state sponsorship." What is confusing is that there were no commercials, per se, at the beginning. My thinking is that "commercial" was used as in an area of town being "zoned commercial". I'm guessing that advertising was not referred to yet as commercials. It appears that such a station airs commercials because it's a commercial station, not the other way around.

That's the right track... keep in mind that early on there were amateur stations and "commercial" ones. Amateur stations were operated by radio clubs and organizations to promote and develop broadcasting.

WEAF was owned by AT&T, and if you think about it, phone companies sell time. Your phone bill was based on measured service. So they decided to apply that same business model to their radio station. You pay for time on their common carrier. AT&T was one of the founding partners of NBC.

WEAF was owned by AT&T, and if you think about it, phone companies sell time. Your phone bill was based on measured service. So they decided to apply that same business model to their radio station. You pay for time on their common carrier. AT&T was one of the founding partners of NBC.

This link....

http://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Bookshelf/Commercial-Broadcasting-Pioneer-WEAF.pdf

... has the 1946 book "Commercial Broadcasting Pioneer: The WEAF Experiment 1922-1926" in a PDF file. The book chronicles the development of WEAF, including the "discovery" of radio advertising and the way this station contributed to the business model that would define American radio.

Since a couple of non comms are mentioned...WSUI also claims to date back to 1919 with regular broadcasts. WSUI is 910 on the dial from the University of Iowa, in Iowa City.

That's the right track... keep in mind that early on there were amateur stations and "commercial" ones. Amateur stations were operated by radio clubs and organizations to promote and develop broadcasting.

Individual ham radio ops played music on the air back in the early days of wireless telephony (before the FCC later outlawed it in the amateur service rules)....so a lot of ham radio stations were actually "broadcasting" before commercial broadcast licenses were issued.

Well, it's true that most of the original "commercially-licensed" radio stations went on the air to give you something to listen to, once you bought a radio. I realize now, they were commercial stations but at first they weren't looking to make a profit from commercial broadcasts, just from their products.

Those early stations were started by...

Radio manufacturers
KDKA Westinghouse
WGY General Electric

Department stores
WOR Newark - Bamberger's Dept. Store
WGBS New York - Gimbel Brothers Store, now WINS
WLS Chicago - Marshall Field (call letters standing for "World's Largest Store")

Battery manufacturers
WBBM Chicago - Malloy Battery Company (call letters standing for "World's Best Battery Maker)

Then newspapers started setting up radio stations to broadcast news and features they hoped would spur interest in their papers. So that's why it took AT&T's New York radio station, WEAF, to broadcast the first paid radio commercial. AT&T was already in the business of communication-for-profit. As The Big A and David remind us, they wanted to monetize their broadcasts, not just sell radios or batteries.

Department stores

WLS Chicago - Marshall Field (call letters standing for "World's Largest Store")

HUH??? Wrong store! SEARS was the original owner of WLS (Sears WAS the World's Largest Store in Chicago at the time)....then Prairie Farmer Magazine bought it from Sears. Then ABC bought it from PFM in 1960 and flipped it to "top40" for its historical run as a popular music station...

Yes, my mistake. WLS was originally set up and owned by Sears, which called itself the World's Largest Store, even though Macy's in NYC also claims that distinction. Wikipedia says WLS originally had studios in Sears' mail-order headquarters on Chicago's West Side. It used the station's powerful signal to promote the Sears Catalog to rural families.

WBAX in Wilkes-Barre, Pa. claimed to have been the 6th commercially licensed station in the country. It still exists today, at 1240 kHz, which was not its original frequency, which may have been 1220. It carries network sports programming, and no longer has a staff of its own.

Sears at the time was mostly mail order from their catalog - sort of a precursor to Amazon. They were the largest store in total sales. Macy's was largest in retail floor space in their Herald Square store.

Why would early radio broadcast in Morse Code? Was it a service for amateur radio only? I can't imagine the general public having an interest in learning code simply to listen to radio. Even the Hams I know don't seem to appreciate code any longer. It does have its uses though:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=206934082668164

Morse code was used for point-to-point communications only.
Early broadcast radio was amplitude modulated.

Morse code was used for point-to-point communications only.
Early broadcast radio was amplitude modulated.

So these were not "broadcast" stations? Were they used for news feeds or just experimental communication?

We used AM in the Navy through the 60's (when I got out) and the limited amount of CW was either full band or SSB.

Why would early radio broadcast in Morse Code? Was it a service for amateur radio only? I can't imagine the general public having an interest in learning code simply to listen to radio.

In the earliest days of radio, the technology to modulate a carrier had not been developed so communication was achieved by turning the transmitter on and off in carrier bursts of different lengths of time.

Even when voice transmissions were developed, code (generally called "CW") transmissions had greater intelligibility over long distances and communication could be achieved with much lower power. The ability to overcome static and other interference was also greater. Another advantage was the simplicity of CW transmitters.

The earliest broadcasting from 1897 to around 1912 was, except for some experimentation, predominantly code. Broadcast of speech and other audio was delayed by W.W. I and only achieved wide acceptance after that conflict was over.

Radio "amateurs" in the 1910's and 1920's were not the same as "hams" today. They were essentially hobbyists who experimented with radio, made their own sets and listened for broadcasts. Not all amateurs actually broadcast, and many broadcast stations were run by amateurs... including a large number of early licensed AM radio stations.

The earliest broadcasting from 1897 to around 1912 was, except for some experimentation, predominantly code. Broadcast of speech and other audio was delayed by W.W. I and only achieved wide acceptance after that conflict was over.

This was not broadcasting. Even if grandma and grandpa could receive the signals, they would only hear carrier bursts. It became broadcasting when the general public could receive something which resembled the human voice.

Why would early radio broadcast in Morse Code? Was it a service for amateur radio only? I can't imagine the general public having an interest in learning code simply to listen to radio. Even the Hams I know don't seem to appreciate code any longer. It does have its uses though:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=206934082668164

Radio was an outgrowth of wireless telegraphy, and those who participated in it, whether as a job or hobby, used it to communicate with each other. Many of these amateurs and experimenters contributed greatly to the development of radio that carried speech and music to "listen to." Don't forget, a former telegrapher named Sarnoff proposed the idea of what he called a "radio music box" to his bosses at American Marconi Wireless...and they knew there was no future in it.

This was not broadcasting. Even if grandma and grandpa could receive the signals, they would only hear carrier bursts. It became broadcasting when the general public could receive something which resembled the human voice.

By today's definition, you are certainly right. But when transmissions were airmed at "all ships at sea" they were certainly broad-casts as they were intended to be widely heard. Many an early scene is described where folks would gather around a radio where someone would say aloud what they were hearing in code. While much traffic was point to point, quite a bit was intended to be monitored by the general public or specific segments of the public.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom