• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Buy yourself a radio station, March 2, in Fort Lauderdale

AMRocks

Star Participant
Check out the file. Looks like the auction for 4 JCE stations, including one in Dallas, will be held at some attorney's office in Fort Lauderdale on March 2 at 10am. I assume anyone could just show up? Any thoughts who might be there?

There are some interesting files you can download, too.

https://goradiotv.sharefile.com/download.aspx?id=s17627e09b8342b38

I'm guessing one of the companies who will be showing up is Beasley. Would be great (in their opinion) to have a 50kw station to broadcast paid programs throughout South Florida. Nice addition to 740, 980 and 1470.

CBS could be interested in another AM to pair up with their new stations, although none of the James Crystal facilities really get into Miami at night.

Palm Beach Broadcasting could add another station to their nice FM group. http://www.palmbeach-broadcasting.com/

Or, the owners of the stand-alone Legends 100.3, a new station in town, might want to expand a bit.

I don't think anyone will actually bid for WFLL 1400, which doesn't have a tower anymore. I think there is some wire strung from a church steeple that's acting as the antenna.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 25
Or, the owners of...Legends 100.3...might want to expand a bit.
...with some translators inside a massive AM footprint along the lines of Seaview.

Question:

How can they sell (transfer) the station licenses without FCC approval?

Frank

I was curious about that too. And they have to give minority preference as well. Since I am female..i may still classify for that and would have a chance to get approved. A male friend of mine applied for an FM frequency years ago and he said he would have put me on the application had he known I was coming back to town. He said his wife wouldn't count. The station ended up with a woman that took it religion. I would keep Barsky on WFTL on mornings. not afternoons and hopefully syndicate. The rest of the day could be business talk. Maybe Barsky's got the bucks and he's holding out to buy the station..that could be why his picture is still on the website.

So if you go to the Auction and no one else shows up you could bid a dollar and get the stations.. Maybe there's a minimum bid.
Don't they have to Auction the one located in Dallas ...in TX..not in FL since it's located in TX? I've got a Mega millions ticket for Friday...you think 74 mil would be enough money to have on hand to start out....Barsky will probably want half to do mornings..LOL

Somewhere in the fine print the words "subject to FCC approval" undoubtedly appear.

So if you go to the Auction and no one else shows up you could bid a dollar and get the stations.. Maybe there's a minimum bid.
Don't they have to Auction the one located in Dallas ...in TX..not in FL since it's located in TX? I've got a Mega millions ticket for Friday...you think 74 mil would be enough money to have on hand to start out....Barsky will probably want half to do mornings..LOL

It looks like 1400 has been STA for more than a year with no further filing to keep the license alive. May not be anything to auction on that one. ???

I was curious about that too. And they have to give minority preference as well. Since I am female..i may still classify for that and would have a chance to get approved. A male friend of mine applied for an FM frequency years ago and he said he would have put me on the application had he known I was coming back to town. He said his wife wouldn't count. The station ended up with a woman that took it religion. I would keep Barsky on WFTL on mornings. not afternoons and hopefully syndicate. The rest of the day could be business talk. Maybe Barsky's got the bucks and he's holding out to buy the station..that could be why his picture is still on the website.

Barsky hasn't been on the station in at least a year.

Question:

How can they sell (transfer) the station licenses without FCC approval?

Frank

I'm sure it's subject to FCC approval. It could be, since they are selling the assets, that the new owner might be forced to sell it again if the FCC objects.

Technically, that's all one would be buying at auction, physical assets. Whoever is/was the licensee of the stations must participate in the license transfer process and the auction winner must be eligible to become the licensee. Otherwise, all one will have is enough equipment or land to operate a station, but no authority to do so.

Interesting that the ad clearly states "without limitations the radio stations and licenses for the radio stations."
I does say "to the highest QUALIFIED bidder" which might indicate that the sale is subject to FCC approval.

KBXD's new day pattern looks pretty good and their night pattern always has been.
With the extra towers, they are beaming right into the market, not perpendicular to it.
They are currently off the air, but I would take them if I had a few spare mil laying around.

KBXD's new day pattern looks pretty good and their night pattern always has been.
With the extra towers, they are beaming right into the market, not perpendicular to it.
They are currently off the air, but I would take them if I had a few spare mil laying around.

The problem is that the market is not Dallas but Dallas-Fort Worth. Even the new day signal does not put a 10 mV/m over 80% of Tarrant County, and the night signal is pretty much Dallas County only.

The market is 11 counties.

Of course, for this kind of AM, ratings are not important and full coverage of the ratings market is obviously not a factor as long as the intended format can have a base in the areas that are covered.

I recall how KBOX did very well at times against KLIF in the Top 40 era before the markets were combined. But after the consolidation, it was lost.

I was listening to some airchecks of him on WFTL last summer and he had surgery in August 2013. Then i saw an interview of him with a guy from Chicago.. I think Rick Kaempher in October 2013. He said he had a neck brace on and was handing out candy to kids. His picture is on the website still... but no sign of him coming back. Guess he's on the list to get paid. I doubt they will get 17 million from the sales of these stations.. That's what Crystal owes. I imagine their would be some expense to improve the equipment around there.

I see WMEN is no longer listed as having a CP to increase their day and night signals.
I wonder what that is all about.

BTW...I do not know the market and this is OT, but why does R-L show the Dallas area having access to seven "Asian" formatted (albeit signal challenged) stations, on 730, 870, 890, 1110, 1220, 1600, and 104.9? Yes, I know "Asian" is not a format, I was just repeating what the R-L format column shows.

Last edited:
BTW...I do not know the market and this is OT, but why does R-L show the Dallas area having access to seven "Asian" formatted (albeit signal challenged) stations, on 730, 870, 890, 1110, 1220, 1600, and 104.9? Yes, I know "Asian" is not a format, I was just repeating what the R-L format column shows.

There are several mixed Asian language brokered station, with Mandarin predominating but also having Korean and, IIRC, Tagalog. One is all Korean. There are two in languages of India with Bollywood music and news. There is one all Vetnamese station, too.

The FCC does allow involuntary transfer of license in certain circumstances involving bankruptcy or if the licensee is determined by the FCC to be unfit as a licensee, for example, which means if the FCC transfers the licenses of the JCE stations involuntarily, JCE has no choice in the matter.

The FCC does allow involuntary transfer of license in certain circumstances involving bankruptcy or if the licensee is determined by the FCC to be unfit as a licensee, for example, which means if the FCC transfers the licenses of the JCE stations involuntarily, JCE has no choice in the matter.

Mark, I believe the original question was intended to ask how the winner in a bankruptcy auction would also get the license, as the auction notice appears to specify. Certainly, an involuntary transfer of license is warranted under the circumstances, but the presumption that the licenses "are included" is, IMO, false.

The FCC would still have to certify that the winner was fit on all counts to hold the licenses and then transfer them to said party, unless there's some new loophole that neither you nor I are aware of.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom