• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

"A Prairie Home Companion" without Garrison Keillor

Garrison introduced the show yesterday by saying it was originally done in 2002. They should just keep doing those old shows. It works for Click and Clack.

I thought this was a great joke and surely Keillor had some influence whether he wrote it or not. He would surely have had to either approve it or tolerate it.

Someone did an Ira Glass impression which was great. I can't stand the man personally but the style was definitely correct. And he said the fox is a smart animal. So why does the Fox News Channel have birdbrains and do-do birds?

Are people even going to want new episodes without Mr. Keillor?

They have years of great material. I looked up last Sunday's show with great traditional music that was related to country but not necessarily country, performed at Ryman Auditorium. The original broadcast date was 1994.

http://www.wweek.com/portland/article-25270-wobegon_when.html

This article from Oregon talks about a man who hates Keillor and the show so much he started a change.org petition to get the show cancelled, even though it
will at least continue with Thile as host. It was pointed out that the man apparently couldn't tell the different between NPR (yes, it airs on NPR stations) and
its actual distributor, American Public Media.
The actual petition, addressed to NPR, the President, and "Congress, I guess", starts:

>>Goddamed Prairie Home Companion is a dumb boring show that forces millions of radio listeners under 60 to turn off their radios whenever that stupid old guy starts his rambling crap. Also, I mean Jesus look at this a--hole. All people under like 100 years old should sign this.

The man, Brace Belden, is quoted in the original article: "I’m of the opinion there’s only one rich, retired dentist in like Ohio or something who just sends NPR a 10-figure check every few years with “KEEP PRAIRIE HOME COMPANION ON ALL THE F----- TIME” written in the memo part."

>>Some, but not all, the music is good

I know once he had on the Boston blues duo Paul Rishell (whom I once interviewed) and Annie Raines on.
Read somewhere someone calls the show The Garrison Can't Sing Show.

Hey-bob-a-ree-bob Rhubarb pie.

Last edited:
I guess he's not that talented a singer. I've never listened all the way through but I have listened for quite a long ime on those occasions when I was in the car for a long time and it was mostly good.

This article from Oregon talks about a man who hates Keillor and the show so much he started a change.org petition to get the show cancelled, even though it
will at least continue with Thile as host. It was pointed out that the man apparently couldn't tell the different between NPR (yes, it airs on NPR stations) and
its actual distributor, American Public Media.

Typical change.org petition.

(PS. I think the article is satire.)

Last edited:
Or the petitioner could do what nearly every other person in the country does and just not listen.

I don't listen to that much of the show, but whoever hosted the past two weeks sounds like Gerald of the Fox TV series "Grandfathered". I can't stand him.

The one good thing is that Dwayne isn't on, but it does be no good if Dwayne's mother is still talking to whoever happens to answer the phone. I can't stand Dwayne's mother. Can we have "Lives of the Cowboys"? I know we can't have "Guy Noir".

Dwayne was on last week for Mother's Day. I was unfortunate enough to hear him even though I heard only a few minutes of the show.

Yesterday I did hear "Lives of the cowboys" but it wasn't introduced. He said Sue Scott was sick, but someone else could have introduced it.

The last show with Garrison will be here soon.

Nobody else seems to remember this but Garrison Keillor retired once before: In 1987. PHC was replaced with a new show, using much of the same production crew and hosted by former All Things Considered Host Noah Adams (now doing occasional Charles Kuralt type stories for ATC). It bombed. Most stations opted for PHC repeats instead. Keillor came back after two years with a new show from Brooklyn (with very little Lake Wobegon) which got a tepid response. In 1992, Keillor returned to St. Paul and the following year restored PHC.

One feature I won't miss. Ben the Artist. I do like the man who can't hear. But last week I was trying to EAT. Why don't they consider this?

It's not right.

I hope others want reruns instead. It's not the same show. I only had it on in the car since "Car Talk" was the fund-raising edition and I'll have to listen online now. No incentive to turn on a radio that was off.

There has already been at least one rerun, and it's with the new guy.

And Dwayne's mother is STILL on. With a legitimate reason to complain about Dwayne not being around. I do like his father ...

I don't know if the astronauts going to Mars are new or whether they're a regular feature. But their mission will take longer than expected. The date they return to Earth is now January 20, 2021. Or perhaps January 20, 2025.

And there's increased interest in moving to Mars. Especially in the last two weeks.

I don't know if the astronauts going to Mars are new or whether they're a regular feature. But their mission will take longer than expected. The date they return to Earth is now January 20, 2021. Or perhaps January 20, 2025.

And there's increased interest in moving to Mars. Especially in the last two weeks.
Today I heard this joke for the third time. That means the episode has run three times. If they have to run that many reruns of the new guy, why can't they gave us Keillor every now and then?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom