• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Big Boy Leaves Power 106, Jumps Ship to iHeart's Return of 92.3 The Beat

Honestly, I doubt it. Their current owner, Alex Meruelo, stepped in after the sale to the Chinese fell apart and bought KDAY because he had been a fan of the original on 1580. A year ago, when he took ownership, he said he was committed to the classic hip-hop and rap format because of that.

I don't see him changing his mind just because of something iHeart did.

As for KDAY I'm glad that there staying true to their classic hip hop format. Anyway I just went to Mediabase and KRRL is officially on the Urban panel as of now. Do you think KTWV could go into Rhythmic Oldies format vs their Urban AC/Smooth Jazz hybrid. KTWV could adopt the KHHT calls and be Hot 94.7. What are your thoughts?

Do you think KTWV could go into Rhythmic Oldies format vs their Urban AC/Smooth Jazz hybrid. KTWV could adopt the KHHT calls and be Hot 94.7. What are your thoughts?

I think it is a possibility, but as I have said previously, CBS (KTWV's owner) does not tend to make quick moves to fill holes if they are abandoned by another major station owner. They'll likely be looking at why iHeart chose 92.3 to flip, rather than one of the other stations in their cluster. They're going to try to determine if there were deficiencies in the format which might or might not be correctable. They'll look at the ratings and see if if there were trends that we on the outside weren't looking for.

When someone like iHeart flips to a format that already has a solid station in the market, they do it either because they see a weakness in the existing station or they see weaknesses in their own station and flip to improve their own competitive position. At this point, it's a little too early to tell what iHeart's reasoning was. It may have been triggered simply by Big Boy's approaching them during that contract renewal window with Emmis.

There are a few unanswered questions that are still in play. Would iHeart have flipped 92.3 to current-based Urban if Big Boy hadn't signaled his desire to leave Power? What were the reasons to choose that frequency to flip? Most importantly, what happens to the game plan if the judge rules in Emmis' favor?

These are all questions that CBS would certainly be asking themselves if they were thinking of making changes in the wake of Real's launch. I wouldn't expect them to do anything until those answers reveal themselves in the course of things.

K.M., I don't know any lawyers...unless listening to Handel On The Law counts for anything---but do you think Big Boy wil wind up having to stay at Power 106? On February 10, one week after Emmis filed a breach-of-contract suit against Big Boy for accepting iHeartMedia's offer of $3.5 million, a Superior Court judge granted Emmis a temporary restraining order which keeps Big Boy from joining Real 92.3. On March 3 there will be a hearing to decide if a permanent injunction should be issued. If Emmis wins the suit, who might wind up doing mornings at KRRL? Has the station even started assembling an airstaff?

All good questions, Steve.

It has seemed, based on the hype coming from iHeart, that Big Boy doing mornings was the key to making this format flip. And they certainly haven't said anything different since the Emmis lawsuit, nor would I expect them to make any speculative statements any sooner than the hearing next Tuesday.

Should the judge issue an injunction and the matter go to trial, who knows how long that will take. In the meantime, does our friend Mr. Alexander go back to KPWR awaiting the outcome? Does he decide to stay home and live off the many investments he's made with those fat Emmis paychecks over the years? Will Emmis even let him go back on the air if this goes to trial?

If there is a permanent injunction issued pending a trial, iHeart will need to decide who to put in mornings in the (presumed long) interim. You read the same trades as I do ... not a peep from 3400 W. Olive in Burbank on that or any airstaff hires.

What surprises me (and therefore makes me wonder if we're hearing the whole story) is that iHeart had to have known perfectly well that Emmis had the legal right to match any offer they made. They certainly knew before they made the formal announcement on the 4th that Emmis had filed the lawsuit. So why would they go ahead with the format change when the presence of their intended anchor was in doubt?

Sorry to make your questions lead to more questions.

K.M., allow me to answer one of your questions with a question. "Why would they go ahead with the format change when the presence of their intended anchor was in doubt?" Did somebody at iHeart figure that regardless of how any lawsuit would turn out, there would be a lot of free publicity for Real 92.3? The Los Angeles Times, Orange County Weekly, Billboard and Richard Wagoner's syndicated radio column have all given quite a bit of coverage to the DJ firings, the format change, the Emmis lawsuit and the petition drive to bring Art Laboe back to the Los Angeles airwaves. Without that lawsuit, the format change would not be nearly as newsworthy. See? I can not only be sarcastic, I can be cynical!

And/or iHeart's cover was blown when the lawsuit was announced, letting the cat out of the bag about the pending format change,
possibly forcing their hand and causing them to rush it on-air earlier than anticipated - unless all these events occurred coincidentally.

I would guess that iHeart would have preferred to have all its ducks in a row before announcing (and implementing) the format change.
As KM mentioned, though, iHeart should have been aware of the right-to-match clause in Big Boy's contract.

As it is, they probably would have launched with "10,000 joints in a row" anyway, buying themselves a month's worth of time to both
establish the new musical direction and assemble a new staff.
I'd think they probably would have liked to do it on their own terms.

See? I can not only be sarcastic, I can be cynical!

Well done.

If it weren't for the fact that billboards are now appearing to promote the 10,000 reefers ... er, joints, you'd almost be able to opine that this whole thing is nothing more than a publicity stunt and that Hot 92.3 will return after the marathon.

Remember New Coke? The cynic in me still thinks that was a stunt, even though then company president Don Keough said at the time "we’re not that dumb and we’re not that smart."

Or, maybe it was an elaborate plot to hobble Power's morning show. Make an offer they knew would be matched and causing bad blood between Big Boy and Emmis. If Big Boy comes over to Real, great for iHeart. If Big Boy doesn't come over to Real but does not return to Power, great for iHeart.

Or, maybe it was an elaborate plot to hobble Power's morning show. Make an offer they knew would be matched and causing bad blood between Big Boy and Emmis. If Big Boy comes over to Real, great for iHeart. If Big Boy doesn't come over to Real but does not return to Power, great for iHeart.

Real 92.3 has made it clear that they're bringing Power to it's knees. Its been years since we had an R&B/Hip Hop station with a signal that reaches beyond South Central, Downtown LA. It's well received in the Valley where I stay. IMO it's a reincarnated version of 92.3 The Beat and all of LA is raving about it even though some people on social media are calling it an imitation of Power 106 thus throwing shade at it low key and complaining about not having an oldies station. They need to be grateful that they have a full singal mainstream urban after a long dry spell when KKBT went over to 100.3 in June 2000.

I think it's a little too early to make predictions. Remember, they're still running commercial-free, and we're taking iHeart Media, the inventors of the seven-minute stopset, here. The joyful comments on social media may abruptly end once the spots start playing. And we don't know what countermoves Emmis is working on.

Don't get caught up in the on-air hype. The ratings over the first several months will tell.

K.M., when you mentioned Coca-Cola President Don Keough, were you aware that he died of pneumonia on February 24? He was 88. In 1985, he and CEO Robert Goizueta introduced "New Coke." The original formula had been changed and Goizueta said that New Coke was "smoother, rounder, yet bolder" and "the boldest marketing move in the history of the consumer goods business." I bought one six-pack. I never bought a second one. It was smoother...but it didn't taste as good and it would go flat within minutes of the can being opened. After three months, the original formula, redubbed "Coca-Cola Classic," was back on supermarket shelves. Coca-Cola and Pepsi-Cola are rivals. Employees of both companies had said that whoever blinked first would lose the cola wars. A Pepsi employee learned of the new Coke formula before it was introduced. When he reported the news to Pepsi's management, Pepsi promptly started making plans to take advantage of what they knew would be a marketing disaster. A year later, former Pepsi CEO Roger Enrico co-authored a book, The Other Guy Blinked: How Pepsi Won The Cola Wars. I collect Coca-Cola items and I loved that book for revealing some of the behind-the-scenes machinations that we seldom hear about. I wonder if Big Boy preferred New Coke to the original-formula Coke. (I added that last sentence so we stay on topic.)

I read that in the Times, Steve.

Given your recollection of New Coke, I wonder if we should consider Real 92.3 to be New Power, and if so will it "go flat" relatively quickly? :D

Tomorrow's the big day ... and I don't mean the Los Angeles City Council elections.

I read that in the Times, Steve.

Given your recollection of New Coke, I wonder if we should consider Real 92.3 to be New Power, and if so will it "go flat" relatively quickly? :D

Tomorrow's the big day ... and I don't mean the Los Angeles City Council elections.

That "big day" has already happened. The rumor is that Big Boy won the lawsuit that Emmis filed against him. Another rumor is that he's going to start at Real 92.3 on Monday March 9. Confirm this?

That "big day" has already happened. The rumor is that Big Boy won the lawsuit that Emmis filed against him. Another rumor is that he's going to start at Real 92.3 on Monday March 9. Confirm this?

Not quite.

The lawsuit has not even gone to court yet.

What happened was that, as an adjunct to the lawsuit, Emmis requested an injunction preventing Big Boy from crossing the street until the suit was heard. A temporary injunction was granted, but not a permanent one. The temporary one was concluded paving the way for Big Boy to join iHeart and go on the air. The suit continues.

And K.M. has noted that Emmis Communications' $5,000,000 breach-of-contract suit was against Kurt "Big Boy" Alexander, not against iHeartMedia. Details are confidential but if a judgment is issued against Alexander, would he pay it or has iHeartMedia made some kind of deal to cover all, or some, of the amount? David, can the Superior Court's refusal to grant a permanent restraining order be interpreted as a sign that the lawsuit may not go in Emmis's favor?

So Kurt "Big Boy" Alexander takes over the Real 92.3 morning show on March 9. KRRL has also hired Abdul "DJ A-OH" Hashem, who studied broadcasting at Columbia College in Chicago and has worked in programming at WGCI and at WMIB in Miami. He'll be the midday DJ and assistant program director.

Details are confidential but if a judgment is issued against Alexander, would he pay it or has iHeartMedia made some kind of deal to cover all, or some, of the amount?

There could well be a clause in Alexander's contract with iHeart indemnifying him against any legal actions taken against him in conjunction with his employment with them, and that might include paying off Emmis if they won.

I know you asked David, but I answered your second question privately in e-mail earlier today so I may as well share it with you:

David, can the Superior Court's refusal to grant a permanent restraining order be interpreted as a sign that the lawsuit may not go in Emmis's favor?

Given that Emmis is suing for breach of contract -- specifically, the provision which they say required Alexander to stay with them if they matched an offer made to him made during that "shopping" period prior to its expiration -- nothing about his being on the air at KRRL would have an effect on the material issues of the lawsuit. The refusal to grant a permanent restraining order means the judge understands that ... and no, you cannot read anything into his action about Emmis' chances of prevailing.

Thank you for your response...and now you know that I seldom remember to check for private messages. :) Next question: If Emmis wins the breach-of-contract lawsuit against Big Boy, would he be forced to return to KPWR?

Look at what managed to dig up

Here is Real 92.3 Mediabase playlist

MMR 24-7
7 Day
Station Playlist
iHeartMedia, Inc.
PD:Doc Wynter
MD:
PH:818-559-2252
KRRL-FM
Los Angeles - 92.3 FM (Urban)
by This Week Spins
C&R
Main Menu | View Another Station
LW: Feb 21 - Feb 27
TW: Feb 28 - Mar 6
Updated: Sat Mar 7 3:07 AM PST
Station Rank Spins Audience
lw TW Artist Title TW lw +/- Reach/
Mill
12 1 DISCLOSURE Latch f/Sam Smith 102 43 59
1 2 SCHOOLBOY Q Studio f/BJ The Chicago Kid 102 101 1
3 3 NICKI MINAJ Only f/Drake, Lil Wayne 100 100 0
6 4 THE WEEKND Often 98 69 29
2 5 BIG SEAN I Don't F**k With You f/E-40 87 100 -13
8 6 NICKI MINAJ Truffle Butter f/Drake... 68 55 13
13 7 BEYONCE 7/11 55 40 15
7 8 DRAKE 0 To 100/The Catch Up 55 57 -2
17 9 NE-YO She Knows f/Juicy J 55 33 22
4 10 I LOVE MAKONNEN Tuesday f/Drake 53 90 -37
5 11 USHER I Don't Mind f/Juicy J 46 86 -40
14 12 J. COLE Apparently 41 40 1
16 13 DRAKE How About Now 41 35 6
15 14 O.T. GENASIS CoCo 39 36 3
15 WALE The Matrimony f/Usher 35 0 35
16 KANYE WEST F/T.LONDON All Day f/A.Kingd./P.McCartney 35 0 35
27 17 SEVYN STREETER Don't Kill The Fun 33 25 8
9 18 CHRIS BROWN & TYGA Ayo 32 51 -19
22 19 T-PAIN Up Down (Do This All Day) 32 27 5
30 20 JEREMIH Don't Tell 'Em f/YG 29 24 5
20 21 SAGE THE GEMINI Gas Pedal 29 28 1
25 22 BOBBY SHMURDA Hot Boy 29 26 3
10 23 BEYONCE Partition 28 46 -18
32 24 WIZ KHALIFA We Dem Boyz 28 23 5
28 25 YG My Hitta f/Jeezy,RichHomieQuan 28 25 3
21 26 LIL WAYNE Believe Me f/Drake 27 27 0
26 27 RAE SREMMURD No Flex Zone 27 25 2
31 28 TY DOLLA $IGN Paranoid f/B.o.B 27 24 3
29 29 JHENE AIKO The Worst 25 24 1
65 30 MIGOS Fight Night 25 8 17
This is an abbreviated Mediabase Report. Access to full report available at Mediabase.com

MMR 24-7
7 Day
Station Playlist
Emmis Communications
PD:Jimmy Steal
MD:Emmanuel (E-man) Coquia
PH:818-953-4200
KPWR-FM
Los Angeles - 105.9 FM (Rhythmic)
by This Week Spins
C&R
Main Menu | View Another Station
LW: Feb 21 - Feb 27
TW: Feb 28 - Mar 6
Updated: Sat Mar 7 3:07 AM PST
Station Rank Spins Audience
lw TW Artist Title TW lw +/- Reach/
Mill
1 1 B.O.B Not For Long f/Trey Songz 125 124 1 4.3078
3 2 MARK RONSON Uptown Funk f/Bruno Mars 119 121 -2 4.1808
4 3 USHER I Don't Mind f/Juicy J 116 121 -5 3.9324
5 4 THE WEEKND Often 112 120 -8 3.9345
2 5 NICKI MINAJ Only f/Drake, Lil Wayne 97 122 -25 3.465
12 6 NICKI MINAJ Truffle Butter f/Drake... 67 49 18 2.363
7 7 CHRIS BROWN & TYGA Ayo 62 64 -2 2.26
6 8 BIG SEAN I Don't F**k With You f/E-40 61 64 -3 2.108
8 9 NE-YO She Knows f/Juicy J 57 64 -7 2.0669
11 10 JEREMIH Don't Tell 'Em f/YG 54 49 5 1.7827
9 11 RAE SREMMURD No Type 49 56 -7 1.7119
14 12 I LOVE MAKONNEN Tuesday f/Drake 45 45 0 1.4548
10 13 J. COLE Apparently 44 55 -11 1.5441
13 14 KALIN & MYLES Love Robbery 41 46 -5 1.3006
17 15 ARIANA GRANDE & THE WEEKND Love Me Harder 40 36 4 1.1948
19 16 NICK JONAS Jealous 40 35 5 1.4783
18 17 FLO RIDA GDFR f/Sage The Gemini 35 35 0 1.2291
15 18 PITBULL Time Of Our Lives f/Ne-Yo 35 42 -7 1.3168
16 19 RIHANNA/KANYE WEST/P MCCARTNEY FourFiveSeconds 33 37 -4 0.9826
27 20 NATALIE LA ROSE Somebody f/Jeremih 32 24 8 1.2823
22 21 O.T. GENASIS CoCo 32 31 1 1.3892
22 KANYE WEST F/T.LONDON All Day f/A.Kingd./P.McCartney 31 0 31 1.3884
28 23 SCHOOLBOY Q Studio f/BJ The Chicago Kid 30 23 7 1.0039
31 24 KID INK Hotel f/Chris Brown 29 18 11 1.0675
26 25 DISCLOSURE Latch f/Sam Smith 26 26 0 0.6599
21 26 BIG SEAN Blessings f/Drake 24 32 -8 0.8522
23 27 BEYONCE 7/11 23 28 -5 0.9076
29 28 KID INK Be Real f/Dej Loaf 23 22 1 1.0453
25 29 KENDRICK LAMAR Blacker The Berry 23 27 -4 0.6238
32 30 L.A. LEAKERS Pull Up f/Kid Ink, Sage, Iamsu 22 18 4 0.9048
This is an abbreviated Mediabase Report. Access to full report available at Mediabase.com

There is a difference in both playlists. Disclosure's "Latch" is Real 92.3's #1 song this week and that's the only Rhythmic pop song that they're playing. While Power has more rhythmic pop songs in their playlist like Pitbull f/Ne-Yo "Time of Our Lives", Mark Ronson "Uptown Funk". Power 106 is still going after KIIS and AMP Radio. While Real 92.3 ressurects the urban format that was needed in LA but lack the "No Color Lines" feel that KKBT was made known for. As for the music at Real 92.3, I have yet to hear some 90's hits like 112, Aaliyah, Mase, Missy Elliot, Dru Hill, Lauryn Hill, Next and Jon B.
at least during the midday slot.

Next question: If Emmis wins the breach-of-contract lawsuit against Big Boy, would he be forced to return to KPWR?

Without seeing the contract that he is being sued for being in breach of, I would have to guess "no".

As I understand it from reading the trade news, etc., Emmis is suing based on the provision that he had to bring the iHeart offer to them and give them the right to match it. Emmis claims that once they matched it he had to stay with them but without access to the precise contract language, I don't know what ambiguities exist that caused him to accept the iHeart offer anyway (I would presume he was advised by his own counsel at the time that he could legally do so).

But that guess is based upon the reports that Emmis is seeking monetary damages and that there have been no reports of them wanting his return as a settlement.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom